Anion without cation????

fity2pounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a local friend that runs cation, then anion, then two mixed bed resins (all color changing). He almost never runs out of cation but does run through anion. Being that I’m using the same city water supply, is there a reason that I can just skip the cation and run two anions instead? I’m thinking of running two anions and then two mixed beds (to ensure full depletion and then rotating them), but someone told me that if I run anion that I HAVE TO run cation first. Is that true?

OP
OP
F

fity2pounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It pretty much just boils down to using whichever resin is more suited to removing whatever contaminants are in your specific water supply, right? So if my friend’s anion burns MUCH faster, and I’m using the same city water, it would seem best to use two anions and then two mixed bed resins, or what would be more optimal than that? Thanks for any input.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having 2 containers of anion just means you go longer between changing them. It doesn't provide any other benefits

If you have 4 resin cartridges, I'd run cation, anion, anion, mixed. The cation is still removing things you don't want. Just because it isn't depleting as quickly doesn't mean it's not valuable

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It pretty much just boils down to using whichever resin is more suited to removing whatever contaminants are in your specific water supply, right? So if my friend’s anion burns MUCH faster, and I’m using the same city water, it would seem best to use two anions and then two mixed bed resins, or what would be more optimal than that? Thanks for any input.
Yes
You wil have mixed beds at the end of the chain. It will catch whatever was missed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back