Annoying things ppl say about your tank

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing or very little.

I got into the hobby to not only challenge myself to keep something that can be notoriously difficult to keep, but to help me deal with pretty bad anxiety and self-worth issues by giving me something to socialize with others about. Unfortunately most people seem to ask only fleeting questions like “Is that saltwater” and then shift back to talking about what identical-tasting craft beer they’re sampling at the moment. If you noticed the bottle opener on my stand in friday’s FTS posting, that’s why it’s there.

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing or very little.

I got into the hobby to not only challenge myself to keep something that can be notoriously difficult to keep, but to help me deal with pretty bad anxiety and self-worth issues by giving me something to socialize with others about. Unfortunately most people seem to ask only fleeting questions like “Is that saltwater” and then shift back to talking about what identical-tasting craft beer they’re sampling at the moment. If you noticed the bottle opener on my stand in friday’s FTS posting, that’s why it’s there.

Ahh but craft beer goes along well with everything... including tanks...but it has to be good craft beer- not the grocery store variety....

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing or very little.

+1 !
That makes me crazy!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in San Diego so I have a lot of competition on the craft beer front to wade through before I can catch someone’s attention over carbon dosing. I usually have to go out to the garage, grab my “aquarium use vodka”, pour a shot and use a syringe to pump a ml into the display in front of onlookers. That typically turns heads. But I think it’s only because it involves alcohol and just like with a Sublime album, people only like the music because they’re high at the moment and can groove to the same two chords being played over and over, or they like weed and some of the lyrics happen to reference it.

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in San Diego so I have a lot of competition on the craft beer front to wade through before I can catch someone’s attention over carbon dosing. I usually have to go out to the garage, grab my “aquarium use vodka”, pour a shot and use a syringe to pump a ml into the display in front of onlookers. That typically turns heads. But I think it’s only because it involves alcohol and just like with a Sublime album, people only like the music because they’re high at the moment and can groove to the same two chords being played over and over, or they like weed and some of the lyrics happen to reference it.

Ah no you didn't... Sublime is the best whether you are high/drunk or sober... Don't knock Sublime!!! lol

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

People that see my tank ask me is this your bf tank. Umm no we have been friends for how long and how long have I been single oh yeah sorry I didnt know girls liked this hobby. Some people just dig themselves way to deep.

Just make sure you’re armpit-deep in the tank when they walk in. On a side note, I wish there were more ladies in this hobby. I’ve seen some really impressive tanks that probably became that way because women ran them and instead of buying the newest radion light (three of them at least and the most expensive ones too, just because expensive) decided their t5’s were perfectly fine for the task and used the money they saved to buy more frags instead.

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

People that see my tank ask me is this your bf tank. Umm no we have been friends for how long and how long have I been single oh yeah sorry I didnt know girls liked this hobby. Some people just dig themselves way to deep.
Same when I try to explain why i don't have all the tanks I want...Yeah, my BF of 10 years limits me to one tank and one dog...

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you’re armpit-deep in the tank when they walk in. On a side note, I wish there were more ladies in this hobby. I’ve seen some really impressive tanks that probably became that way because women ran them and instead of buying the newest radion light (three of them at least and the most expensive ones too, just because expensive) decided their t5’s were perfectly fine for the task and used the money they saved to buy more frags instead.
I like this, although I still vehemently disagree on Sublime lol

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah no you didn't... Sublime is the best whether you are high/drunk or sober... Don't knock Sublime!!! lol

I like replacing Santeria’s lyrics with “weed” & “pot” and singing it for fun. I get it though, they’re kinda like Reggae. I’ve also had my share of “contact highs” at Korn and Tool concerts. I don’t think I could leave a Sublime concert without purchasing no less that fourteen ultra low quality $16 concert hotdogs.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this, although I still vehemently disagree on Sublime lol

I honestly would take Sublime over what my fiancé listens to. It’s that stompy, clappy, ukele, “HEY!”, whistling hipster stuff. I feel like i’m trapped in a Jeep commercial when she gets “radio priority” in the car.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times have I heard the drones comments;

“Fish aren’t really pets.”
“That algae is cool.”
“Are corals really alive?”

There are one or two reasons why my tank is in the garage:
1. I’m constantly spilling water,
And the real reason:
2. I don’t like dealing with the typical conversations that happen every time a non-Reefer sees the tank. Only friends get invited into the garage. :)

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Do you have a Nemo?”

Its literally unavoidable. Either you "have a nemo" or "dont have a nemo". My sister asked me the other day if my kole tang was a "Dory", and according to her I have "2 nemos", and not a bonded pair of black photon clowns lol

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its literally unavoidable. Either you "have a nemo" or "dont have a nemo". My sister asked me the other day if my kole tang was a "Dory", and according to her I have "2 nemos", and not a bonded pair of black photon clowns lol
Dam you Disney ! ;Punch

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. When I ran halides on my previous tank people would ask "dont the heater and chiller cancel eachother out?", which I guess is fair enough but still shows that in general, most people really have no idea of some of the basic axioms of reefing. Its a very niche hobby that requires fundamental understanding of many different, seemingly unrelated phenomenon. Like many say, our hobby is really about creating and maintaining an ecosystem first and foremost. Most people, for example, are unlikely to understand nor care why we top off with fresh, non salted water to keep salinity stable.

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally I pretend I'm cleaning the glass and randomly spray on lookers with vinegar water

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back