Annoying things ppl say about your tank

ZsWithTheFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 15 fairly large tanks, so I usually just get a lot of side eye from guests. I understand it is a niche hobby so I guess I don't really find any of the questions annoying in the event that anyone actually has one, which is unfortunately rare outside of asking how much time I spend on them.

I do find it interesting when people try to pick out "the salt tanks." I actually have five of them, but people usually overestimate (including every tank that has sand substrate and the bare bottom reefs) or, more commonly, only pick out the two reefs.

The Nemos and their nems are fan favorites, of course, but I'm glad it gives us some common ground.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 15 fairly large tanks, so I usually just get a lot of side eye from guests. I understand it is a niche hobby so I guess I don't really find any of the questions annoying in the event that anyone actually has one, which is unfortunately rare outside of asking how much time I spend on them.

I do find it interesting when people try to pick out "the salt tanks." I actually have five of them, but people usually overestimate (including every tank that has sand substrate and the bare bottom reefs) or, more commonly, only pick out the two reefs.

The Nemos and their nems are fan favorites, of course, but I'm glad it gives us some common ground.

Wow. I’m sure ppl comment about the number of tanks too lol. I’ve got 3 (DT, qt, little freshwater tank) and ppl always comment that i “have so many”. My mother considers the DT, sump, and display refugium as 3 separate tanks lol

ZsWithTheFishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I’m sure ppl comment about the number of tanks too lol. I’ve got 3 (DT, qt, little freshwater tank) and ppl always comment that i “have so many”. My mother considers the DT, sump, and display refugium as 3 separate tanks lol

That's funny, I have one with a sump, qt, and display fuge and people have asked if I count them separately. Nope, that's just one. Next stop is the fish room.

I occasionally get "so when are you starting an aquarium?" I don't know friend, pay me $10 and it starts today.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I did have somebody suggest adding a plastic treasure chest or skeleton to the tank. I was obliged to ask them to leave. Usually it’s just the ‘nemo’ or ‘dory’ thing. Ok if from a kid, kind of annoying if from an adult.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I didnt specifically get into the hobby for those specific reasons, I too struggle with the same feelings as @Crustaceon. Even my wife tells me I'm a better person when I have the fish tank to focus on, maybe that's why I take on the task if an SPS dominant tank. That being said I love talking to people about my tank. It is more fun talking to people who dont know anything because they ask the craziest questions as most people have already mentioned. What I find to be the most annoying is when people who say they know a thing or 2 but they actually dont and ask ridiculous questions. If you dont know just say so and ask away but if you claim to be knowledgeable then you wouldn't ask questions like what type of coral is that as they point at my clam. Or why is your tank so bright, and dont you think you have too much flow for all these corals.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I did have somebody suggest adding a plastic treasure chest or skeleton to the tank. I was obliged to ask them to leave. Usually it’s just the ‘nemo’ or ‘dory’ thing. Ok if from a kid, kind of annoying if from an adult.

“I was obliged to ask them to leave”
Legend

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG my kids say this all the time...

*Looking at a tank full of beautiful, labor intensive, and expensive fish and corals*

“Oh wow... look! Look at that crab!”

*most excited about the $2 hermit crab*

They get more excited about my crabs and snails then they do my corals................Tilts me so hard!

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I thought saltwater tanks were hard to keep" (yeah, if you do it wrong!)

"are those plants real" (I have both salt and fresh tanks at home, so this is equally irritating for either- don't disrespect me like that :) )

" good thing the tank is small, it'll make the fish stay small"

"what do the fish do, is that it?" (really dude?)

"why don't they all eat each other?"

"why don't you just leave the light on 24/7?

"wow bro you should put piranhas in there"

"cool Nemos bro, where's dory?"

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I thought saltwater tanks were hard to keep" (yeah, if you do it wrong!)

"are those plants real" (I have both salt and fresh tanks at home, so this is equally irritating for either- don't disrespect me like that :) )

" good thing the tank is small, it'll make the fish stay small"

"what do the fish do, is that it?" (really dude?)

"why don't they all eat each other?"

"why don't you just leave the light on 24/7?

"wow bro you should put piranhas in there"

"cool Nemos bro, where's dory?"

Omg I’ve been told to drop a piranha in there too. What?!?

I’ve had so many ppl question why I have qt, why the fish are still in qt, why I don’t just medicate the whole tank, why the inverts are separate (while doing fallow)...it’s like, I don’t want to get into a 1/2 hr conversation but you’re leaving me no choice. Also, I hate the “why don’t you just...”. Then, some other guest will join the conversation 1/2 way through and interrupt to ask all the same nonsense questions. I like ppl to look and enjoy. That’s it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back