Another Bio-Spira Miracle?

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in setting up my latest endeavor... I decided to cycle with Bio-spira. I've seen it come up a few times as a beneficial way to go, but honestly didn't think much more of it than that. I thought, if anything, it would just give me a solid cycle.

Now I am starting to think it's a miracle cycle.

About my setup:

75 gallon w/ 29gal sump
80lbs of dry live rock
40lbs each of Fiji Pink and Special Grade Aragonite
Protein Skimmer (breaking in- not producing much if anything most days)
Refugium with 12lbs of rubble
ATS
Ice Cap 3000 Gyre

I haven't been running lights on the display tank at all.

I dropped a whole shrimp cut in half, into the refugium and main tank- and a full, large bottle of Bio-spira last week. The sump piece of shrimp is under some rubble somewhere. The other piece is... well... This is where it gets interesting.

I honestly can't tell you the beginning parameters of the last week, because I didn't care. I knew there would be a spike here, drop there, spike here... et cetera. I was just going to wait until the shrimp dissolved, and do my first test. The shrimp piece in the MT, didn't do much of anything at first, other than start to look like it was cooked. Expected that. Maybe 4 days later it developed some yellowish areas.

IMG_0413.jpg

I had also started putting in a few algae based food pellets, to get plant matter into the system and going through a breakdown process. I wasn't running my gyre at this point so the flow wasn't high, and these pellets would dissolve a bit and leave a sediment which immediately started turning yellow. So I knew the bacteria was in there doing it's thing.

The shrimp, a few days ago, started losing it's exoskeleton. Then I noticed it was getting smaller. Like it was whittling away, but still looking like a fresh piece of shrimp. I started the gyre up yesterday, and after the dust settled, things were looking nice and boring, except for the shrimp floating around. Today, it was stuck in the gyre, and I reached in and pulled it off. It's definitely a third of the size that it was, and not at all dense. I smelled my fingers afterwards, because that's what you do after you touch something disgusting, and I didn't smell anything. That kind of made me curious.

So I pull it out completely the next time it gets caught up, and smell it for real this time. It's got an odor, but not totally putrid. So I taste it. Doesn't taste good at all.

I'm kidding. It's almost April first. Definitely didn't taste it. Anyway, the slight smell, and diminished size tell me this thing is definitely breaking down. Meanwhile, I have been turning on my lights in the sump, all week. I noticed some brown stuff accumulating on the ATS screen, and thought maybe it was just crud from the pellets. Now, I am thinking it's diatoms. So I break down and run a test. All other parameters are optimal, but Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all 0ppm-.25ppm. The only thing I see wrong is that my Nitrates aren't higher, but for now, I am attributing that to the algae growing in the turf scrubber.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran Bio-Spira in my last 2 tanks with great success! I was able to add live stock within a week of adding the Bio-Spira. I guess you can say it is a somewhat cheap miracle cycle.

OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran Bio-Spira in my last 2 tanks with great success! I was able to add live stock within a week of adding the Bio-Spira. I guess you can say it is a somewhat cheap miracle cycle.
It seems so! It seems to be treating the shrimp as continuous fish excrement and just taking care of it as it dissolves away. I'm highly impressed. I guess I'll go buy fish to put in quarantine and order some cheap frags.

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cycled my 40 gal display and QT with Biospira and shrimp. Like you I have dry rock and sand. I put two shrimp in the display and one in the QT. Within 4 days I think they were both cycled. I left the shrimp in for food for the bacteria until I added livestock. They just continued to break down and I went to remove them and they practically disintegrated. It did start to get that fish tank smell after a day and you can tell it was doing something. Overall, I'm happy with it and it was definitely a successful way to cycle. I would do it again.

OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. What livestock did you add? Algae blooms?

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added fish to the QT, two coral frags and some hermits and snails to the display. My cycle has been done now for a few weeks. Fish and corals are doing fine. I don't have any algae or diatoms yet (except on the frag plugs) and I should be adding Chaeto to the fuge today if it comes in.

I regret adding the hermits and snails. I thought they would clean up the shrimp, but I'm actually afraid they don't have any food. Something is sucking down my ALK too (maybe the dry rock? I don't know.) So my ALK was low (like 6.2). Hermits and snails don't move much and I'm trying to feed them, but I'm worried the low ALK and lower ph (8.0) is affecting them. I'm dosing so hopefully they improve.

OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added fish to the QT, two coral frags and some hermits and snails to the display. My cycle has been done now for a few weeks. Fish and corals are doing fine. I don't have any algae or diatoms yet (except on the frag plugs) and I should be adding Chaeto to the fuge today if it comes in.

I regret adding the hermits and snails. I thought they would clean up the shrimp, but I'm actually afraid they don't have any food. Something is sucking down my ALK too (maybe the dry rock? I don't know.) So my ALK was low (like 6.2). Hermits and snails don't move much and I'm trying to feed them, but I'm worried the low ALK and lower ph (8.0) is affecting them. I'm dosing so hopefully they improve.

Wow, that's crazy about the parameters... I just stay on top of everything, and try not to do big drastic changes. Just a little bit here and there. If something seems to work, I stick to it, but still in small measures until everything looks healthy.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back