Another Cycling Question...Bare bottom and Dr. Tims

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

About 8 days ago I started cycling my new 270G tank. I think I picked the hardest type of cycle. I started with Caribsea liferock and a bare bottom tank. I dosed with Dr. Tims one and Only and Dr. Tims ammonia chloride as recommended. I actually dosed a bit more of the bacteria just in case. It has been 8 days and I do not see my ammonia going down. I have tested with the Redsea kit and also the API kit. I see a little bit of nitrate, maybe 1PPM using the redsea kit, but that hasnt moved in days also.

I am not trying to rush the process, but I am curious if this is normal for a bare bottom, dry rock tank?

Does anyone have any experience on how long this type of tank should take?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's easy and your test kits will mislead so we can do it differently than current means to be ready in ten days error free.

Have you added fish food or liquid ammonia to feed
Hello, I did add liquid ammonia chloride provided in my Dr. Tims kit that I purchased. The ammonia alert badge in my tank also shows the presence of ammonia, so I would not want to add fish to the tank yet!.

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that w help.
Thanks, I read through that, but mine is stuck at 2PPM with the API and above 2PPM with the Red Sea kit. It has been like that for days. I was hoping to see any movement, but currently I am not.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I read through that, but mine is stuck at 2PPM with the API and above 2PPM with the Red Sea kit. It has been like that for days. I was hoping to see any movement, but currently I am not.
You got a nitrite test kit?

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, and the obligatory tank pic :)
I do, it tests 0.

Obligator tank pic below :)

Don't mind the wires. The sump will be ready shortly and all of that will be moved there!

IMG_0297.jpg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used Dr Tim’s and ammonia when I cycled. It took awhile also. I forget how long because it was some time ago. I only had nitrite readings briefly. I wonder if Dr Tim’s is a bit light on the bacteria for converting ammonia to nitrite.

If you get antsy, you could go to the LFS and pick up a different brand of cycling bacteria. It might not help but you would feel like you were doing something.

Or you could get a piece of live rock and toss it in to help things along.

Even if you never added anything, the bacteria will colonize the system. They are pretty much everywhere.

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used Dr Tim’s and ammonia when I cycled. It took awhile also. I forget how long because it was some time ago. I only had nitrite readings briefly. I wonder if Dr Tim’s is a bit light on the bacteria for converting ammonia to nitrite.

If you get antsy, you could go to the LFS and pick up a different brand of cycling bacteria. It might not help but you would feel like you were doing something.

Or you could get a piece of live rock and toss it in to help things along.

Even if you never added anything, the bacteria will colonize the system. They are pretty much everywhere.
I was thinking of adding the Brightwell stuff, but both Dr. Tims and Brightwell say not to add it with any other bacteria. I always wonder if that is due to some biological fact or just marketing.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was another tank recently using Dr Tim’s that seemed to do nothing for a couple of weeks. He added “Stability” I believe, and started what seemed to be a normal cycle, immediately.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep testing mate. Although some of these tests are off sometimes it’s highly unlikely all three are wrong. Good luck.

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep testing mate. Although some of these tests are off sometimes it’s highly unlikely all three are wrong. Good luck.
That was the plan! Not looking for exact numbers with these tests, just movement in the right direction. I will keep on trucking and waiting it out.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some stability the other day and now I am seeing Nitrates! Not sure if it was coincidence or the stability?
A nitrate meaning indicates either nitrites or nitrates are present. You need a nitrite test to discover which. However, it indicates the cycle may have started :)

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nitrate meaning indicates either nitrites or nitrates are present. You need a nitrite test to discover which. However, it indicates the cycle may have started :)
I did the nitrite test also. It showed very little nitrite, but I did see some color there for the first time, so I think the cycle is finally progressing at a pace I can detect!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and stand. Do you have a center support for the lighting stand? Looks like it is bowing in the center toward the water.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back