Another fish died on me!!!

Salty-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week it was my clownfish checked all parameters everything checked out fine. Now my firefish died which sucks cuz it had a buddy who would never leave each others side. Help anyone

I have a bio cube

2 percula clowns

2 damsels

1 firefish

1 cleaner shrimp

4 hermit crabs

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find the firefish in the tank, cant find it or what? Also how long did you have it for? Was anyone picking on it? Was he eating well? Sorry for all the questions lol but got to ask a lot to figure out whats going on

OP
OP
S

Salty-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find the firefish in the tank, cant find it or what? Also how long did you have it for? Was anyone picking on it? Was he eating well? Sorry for all the questions lol but got to ask a lot to figure out whats going on

Found the fish in the tank upside down. Had it for about 2 months. Saw no scuff marks on fish like something was picking on it. Hid most of the time but did come out when feeding time came around. Just confused because its the 2nd fish this week and 3rd in the past month and a half

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm thats odd. I mean when I started I had fish die on me but usually it was within the first week of having them just because they werent suited for my tank. Whats your temp at?

OP
OP
S

Salty-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would argue with your statement reef would be, the firefish were always hiding even before I got the damsels

OP
OP
S

Salty-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm thats odd. I mean when I started I had fish die on me but usually it was within the first week of having them just because they werent suited for my tank. Whats your temp at?

Same here but if it is the damsels what should i do with em?

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish while peaceful, tend to not like each other. I think your culprit very well may of been his buddy.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other firefish killed it, they do not get along and can only have one except for the extremely lucky.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you quaratine fish. When you have that many fish die in that short of time there has to be water parameter issues or disease. Have you tested for ammonia? Only other problem could be one of them had some sort of illness and passed it on to others. These fish indure alot of stress being removed from there natural habitat and moved from place to place thats why we recommend quaratine them so if problems arise they can be treated. Good fish stores do this before they sell.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my opinion on how all three of your fish died

Yellow tang - to small of a tank
Clownfish - to many clownfish in a small space, two large clownfish turning female one killed the other to pair with the small one. When buying multiple clownfish one needs to be large and the other noticeable smaller, the only way you can have more than two in a tank is if all of the small ones are the same size and hope that none ever start turning.
Firefish - two firefish can't go together (except for the extremely lucky), the other firefish killed it. Even people who buy bonded pairs of firefish end up having one kill the other within a couple months, especially of they both want the same sleeping/hiding hole. Do a quick r2r search or google search about firefish pairs you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sorry for your losses, hopefully everybody else does ok. Just a heads up, when that damsel gets big it may get aggressive and start attacking and killing other fish. This will be about a year down the road and the entire tank will be its territory. You may want to consider trading it in for something else more peaceful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Salty-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my opinion on how all three of your fish died

Yellow tang - to small of a tank
Clownfish - to many clownfish in a small space, two large clownfish turning female one killed the other to pair with the small one. When buying multiple clownfish one needs to be large and the other noticeable smaller, the only way you can have more than two in a tank is if all of the small ones are the same size and hope that none ever start turning.
Firefish - two firefish can't go together (except for the extremely lucky), the other firefish killed it. Even people who buy bonded pairs of firefish end up having one kill the other within a couple months, especially of they both want the same sleeping/hiding hole. Do a quick r2r search or google search about firefish pairs you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sorry for your losses, hopefully everybody else does ok. Just a heads up, when that damsel gets big it may get aggressive and start attacking and killing other fish. This will be about a year down the road and the entire tank will be its territory. You may want to consider trading it in for something else more peaceful.

Well it's a learning process I know eventually ill have a tank big enough to accommodate all my favorite fish. I will have invest in a QT tank. Check for diseases as well.

OP
OP
S

Salty-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you quaratine fish. When you have that many fish die in that short of time there has to be water parameter issues or disease. Have you tested for ammonia? Only other problem could be one of them had some sort of illness and passed it on to others. These fish indure alot of stress being removed from there natural habitat and moved from place to place thats why we recommend quaratine them so if problems arise they can be treated. Good fish stores do this before they sell.

What would I need for a quarantine tank set up?

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would I need for a quarantine tank set up?

With your size tank, a fish that would go in there would do fine in a ten gallon quarantine. You can get a ten gallon setup for a minimal cost. All you need for the quarantine is the tank, a heater, a powerhead, a thermometer... And any medication you may need. You can also get a small light but nothing major, if you want but not necessary.

You will fill the quarantine with aged aquarium water, then put the fish in there (and the powerhead and heater). You will observe the fish for a week or longer, whatever you feel comfortable with. After you are sure the fish is eating and desease free you will add it to your display. If the fish exhibits any disease you will treat it appropriately in the quarantine.

There are some fish that do no do well in quarantine, mandarins, wrasses are best going right into a display and large tangs shouldn't be quarantined long if healthy... But they can be ich magnets so observation is required.

OP
OP
S

Salty-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took out both damsels and have them to a little girl who had a small 20g with nothing but damsels in it. So I went from having

3 perculas to none

2 firefish to 1

2 damsels to none (got rid of em)

1 cleaner shrimp

4 hermit crabs

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back