Another PH Dilemma

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Zombie for your help with this matter, I really do appreciate your time, but I'm trying to understand it as I go along as well. How can you determine the PH to be 7.6- 7.7 and not closer to the 8.0 readings from the other test kits?
I determine that because the baking soda is another known test that should have read 8.3 but read 8.2. This combined with your calibration packets reading accurately tell me the pH cannot be reading more than about 0.1pH low since we more or less have 3 different sources confirming the apex probe being within 0.1 of expected.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your alkalinity is 8.6. Are you using a calcium reactor and is the effluent line anywhere near your pH probe. If it is a CO2 problem in the environment, open windows in the tank room, and/or run the skimmer air intake line outside and see what happebs.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your alkalinity is 8.6. Are you using a calcium reactor and is the effluent line anywhere near your pH probe. If it is a CO2 problem in the environment, open windows in the tank room, and/or run the skimmer air intake line outside and see what happebs.
No calcium reactor
Dosing 2 part
Tried the hose from skimmer to attic bit but no significant change.
Note: this was when I assumed my PH was in fact 8.0 for these last two years.
Windows open in Central Florida in August is a No no.
I’d be outside with the tank in my lap.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested

Attachments

• 5A5ABA04-6B31-4A48-BA69-91D5A91E7E79.jpeg
    5A5ABA04-6B31-4A48-BA69-91D5A91E7E79.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 15

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the windows open was mainly to test for few hours to see if the pH drops. Guess the heat and the bird sized mosquitoes would be a slight issue! Anyway you could crack a window long enough to vent the skimmer i take directly outside for a few hours to check for a change? And if you are running a refugium/algae scrubber, is it on an opposite light schedule to the tank?

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the windows open was mainly to test for few hours to see if the pH drops. Guess the heat and the bird sized mosquitoes would be a slight issue! Anyway you could crack a window long enough to vent the skimmer i take directly outside for a few hours to check for a change? And if you are running a refugium/algae scrubber, is it on an opposite light schedule to the t
I do run a refugium and it runs about 18 hours a day. Oddly enough the tank seems okay. Acros are growing and I don't really see an issue. I don't want to go nuts chasing a number that for all I know isn't even accurate. Just frustrating to not be sure.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If acros are growing, great, dont chase dragons! Might tweak a couple things like reverse light cycle between refugium and tank to try to even out the pH where its at. Id still crack the window a 1/4 inch or so to run the skimmer air intake outside for a couple hours to see if it changes, if yes, find a permanent solution, if no change, no worries. Can use a towel or something to create a thermal/pest barrier to the outside while you're ruuning the skimmer test. Also if multiple test give you a very close answer and one is way skewd, it is probably wrong. Electronics are not infallible, and there may be probe error, interference from a close by source, or something else of that nature. I know its expensive, but if you had another pH probe or meter, you could replace/or drop it right next to the current one to double check as well.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If acros are growing, great, dont chase dragons! Might tweak a couple things like reverse light cycle between refugium and tank to try to even out the pH where its at. Id still crack the window a 1/4 inch or so to run the skimmer air intake outside for a couple hours to see if it changes, if yes, find a permanent solution, if no change, no worries. Can use a towel or something to create a thermal/pest barrier to the outside while you're ruuning the skimmer test. Also if multiple test give you a very close answer and one is way skewd, it is probably wrong. Electronics are not infallible, and there may be probe error, interference from a close by source, or something else of that nature. I know its expensive, but if you had another pH probe or meter, you could replace/or drop it right next to the current one to double check as well.
You're thinking along the same line I am. I see three to one. I'll see if I have another probe that's wet in my stash. Like I said, had I not bought the Apex I'd be happily testing with the Salifert and being content with my 8.0 readings. Now I went 'high tech' and I don't know what is what.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're thinking along the same line I am. I see three to one. I'll see if I have another probe that's wet in my stash. Like I said, had I not bought the Apex I'd be happily testing with the Salifert and being content with my 8.0 readings. Now I went 'high tech' and I don't know what is what.
In my job we use electronic monitoring for animals under anesthesia frequently. When I was in school, we were taught that machines are nice, efficient, and give us good information, but do not totally rely on them. Pay attention to your patient first! If readings dont match or are wonky, a lot of times it's machine error. Your aquarium animals are telling you they're all right, especially if they are rewarding your efforts with good growth and coloration. In this case, I'd think of your 7.whatever it is as a baseline, and if it starts to vary widely, then panic.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here’s a curve ball…
Found an OLD but new Pinpoint PH Probe in my box over ‘never throw away’
The tip was covered but crusty,
Inside it has fluid
I disconnected the Neptune and manually calibrated the Pinpoint
After calibration I’m at 7.69
So anywhere from 7.55 to 8.1
Your guess is as good as mine

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here’s a curve ball…
Found an OLD but new Pinpoint PH Probe in my box over ‘never throw away’
The tip was covered but crusty,
Inside it has fluid
I disconnected the Neptune and manually calibrated the Pinpoint
After calibration I’m at 7.69
So anywhere from 7.55 to 8.1
Your guess is as good as mine
This one is likely dead on. If you check that baking soda solution you made earlier, I bet you it reads almost 8.3 on the dot.

lvzx14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this as well with my new A3, will have to try some of the testing methods mentioned on here. A good bit lower than my test kits and even my hydros.:face-with-raised-eyebrow:

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature was bearable this morning so I opened the entire house this AM and took advantage of that to wash the screens.
House has been entirely open for 4 hours.
PH with Salifert 8.1
APEX crawled up to 7.79
I have a phone consult with them Wednesday.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back