Another stock list! Yay! 50 gallon

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a 3ft 50 gallon tank and I'd like some help creating a stock list so I don't do anything bad. I also don't have any 1st hand experience with these fish which is why it is hard for me to land on exactly what I want.

Have:
2 Ocellaris

Ideas:

Goby/Blenny: I can't decide between the Midas, Yellow Watchman + shrimp, tailspot, or lawnmower (not sure my tank is established enough for one).

Wrasse: Looks like some of the fairy wrasses could be good in a 50. I was told the flashers prefer a 4ft tank.

3rd fish tbd. Ideas? The above seems like the default stock list which is great for a beginner but if you have any suggestions for some less common but cool fish I'd love to here them.

p.pep85

got more salt then money
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 6 line wrasse is my all time favorite fish so active. everyone love to watch them swim in and out of the rock work all day long

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the goby/blenny choices would work.

Personally, I think any of the flasher wrasses, except the eightline will work, as will the smaller species of fairy wrasses.

I would avoid a sixline at all costs. While there are a few instances of ones that stay well behaved, you will find many, many more accounts of sixlines causing a lot of problems.

Other good additions include yellow assessor, royal gramma, sunburst anthias, yellowhead jawfish, firefish, zebra dartfish, swales basslet, purple tilefish.

OP
OP
mr11

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Is it possible to have a tailspot blenny and a yellow watchman or will they fight?

OP
OP
mr11

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

Wrasses are hard, everywhere I look has a different tank size requirement. Looking at Melanarus and yellow but I guess I need to understand that inverts might become food... Looks like Lubbock and longfin fairy on the only options for 50 according to live aquaria. Any thoughts?

Will any of the dwarf anglefish do well in a 50 or should I avoid them? I know I'm on the small side

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...

Wrasses are hard, everywhere I look has a different tank size requirement. Looking at Melanarus and yellow but I guess I need to understand that inverts might become food... Looks like Lubbock and longfin fairy on the only options for 50 according to live aquaria. Any thoughts?

Will any of the dwarf anglefish do well in a 50 or should I avoid them? I know I'm on the small side
The footprint of your tank is comparable to a 70g. A melanurus and yellow wrasse will be fine, as will most dwarf angels.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back