Another what light is best for me thread

mrhammy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long-time lurker first-time poster. I have set up a 29-mixed reef, 4 months in. I have an entry-level light, Hipargero Aquarium Light –3rd Generation A029 as well as a leftover fresh light, hygger 20W Full Spectrum Aquarium Light that I run 2 hours a day as "mid-day sun" light. Things are going fairly well with corals, mostly frags, and a 4 headed hammer. I want to change to a single light that is controllable, which will help things grow better. Not sure where to turn. I like the idea of a very programmable with an app but want good coverage looked at AI Prime HD but is the cost worth it? Also looking at something like a Phlizon Timer Control Dimmable 165W but again is it enough or too much?

What are your go-to lights for a smaller tank? I do plan to grow into a larger tank in the next year so reuse may be a consideration. cost isn't a deciding factor but I also don't want to spend just to get a brand name.

Help me out!

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a trusted brand (Red Sea, AI, Kessil, etc.) if you want a trustworthy light. For a beginner light, I would do a Red Sea 50 or an AI Prime 16. Both are great lights for small tanks. I have a red sea 50 on my 7g rn and it can grow acros

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on budget. I've used Ai, gen 4 radions, kessil, reefbreeders photon, noopsyche and black boxes over the last 8 or so years. Best budget light IMO is noopsyche k7 pro III. I've been running 6 over a 6ft 180 for over a year and the tank is thriving. 300 par on the bottom for clams. It's the tank in my showcase. For a $200 light it's pretty good bang for your buck. Being a puck style light it does have a lot of light spill if you don't use a shade. Next is the reefbreeders photons. I really like these lights in a room where light spill is a concern. Coral seem to like them as well. Not sure of your tank demensions but my favorite is a photon 24 with 4 bulb t5 hybrid on top. I've read up on the reefi uno and they look very nice and get good reviews but I have no hands on experience.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long-time lurker first-time poster. I have set up a 29-mixed reef, 4 months in. I have an entry-level light, Hipargero Aquarium Light –3rd Generation A029 as well as a leftover fresh light, hygger 20W Full Spectrum Aquarium Light that I run 2 hours a day as "mid-day sun" light. Things are going fairly well with corals, mostly frags, and a 4 headed hammer. I want to change to a single light that is controllable, which will help things grow better. Not sure where to turn. I like the idea of a very programmable with an app but want good coverage looked at AI Prime HD but is the cost worth it? Also looking at something like a Phlizon Timer Control Dimmable 165W but again is it enough or too much?

What are your go-to lights for a smaller tank? I do plan to grow into a larger tank in the next year so reuse may be a consideration. cost isn't a deciding factor but I also don't want to spend just to get a brand name.

Help me out!
30x12x18?
Phizon is about 110 watts regardless of the title.
55w blue, 55w not blue.

Depending on how you define "the future" it isn't really worthwhile to plan for it. Things change often.
A budget light..
Sadly not 30-whatever.
Currently $119.
I've seen deep discounts on Chinese lights during their new year. Pretty common.
  • 28 - Cold White (Channel A)
  • 56 - Deep Blue (Channel B)
  • 28 - Royal Blue (Channel C)
  • 8 - Warm White (Channel D)
  • 8 - UV (Channel D)
  • 8 - Red (Channel D)
  • 8 - Green (Channel D)
  • 24-36"
  • 60 watts.

Last edited:

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my go to for budget lighting. Have had a couple different generations of these over the years and they work great. Gonna get flamed for this but… I have or have had about every light out there over the last twenty years and with LEDs especially they are all about the same if wattage is comparable.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nicrew 100 watt on my 32 gallon. I would suggest to get something stronger than AI Prime 16 for that size tank, especially if you are thinking of upgrading.

tpack17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either you buy a budget or better light to grow with instead of buying twice. I would suggest Reefi uno 2. Super powerful and superior spectrum over most higher priced lights

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back