Anthia Transition Question

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone know if Anthias need to be a certain size or age before they are able to transition from female to male? I'm wondering if I wanted to add a female to a harem, if I got the smallest size from LA, would it make it through QT without transitioning.

Taylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the type of anthia. I had a lyretail anthia that was alone in the community tank for 5 or more months and did not change. I would be surprised if a 2 or 3 week qt will cause a change kept singly.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on the type of anthia. I had a lyretail anthia that was alone in the community tank for 5 or more months and did not change. I would be surprised if a 2 or 3 week qt will cause a change kept singly.

Yea, I'm speaking of Lyretails as well.

In other threads I see people saying the transition takes 3-6 weeks. I assume that might just be the physical though. To your point, the time/environment it takes for the fish to reach that starting point maybe different.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against adding a single specimen to an established group. The initial stress of being the focus of ALL the established members of the hierarchy is often too much for one fish to handle. Adding a small group simultaneously will diffuse that aggression.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would advise against adding a single specimen to an established group. The initial stress of being the focus of ALL the established members of the hierarchy is often too much for one fish to handle. Adding a small group simultaneously will diffuse that aggression.

For sure. I've got a group going through QT but my luck from an online retailer hasn't been great lately. With the number of sick fish I've been getting, I'm just thinking if my success rate isn't wonderful, can I avoid getting a second male via QT in a follow up order. But good point to make, definitely.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get smaller females you will be fine going through the QT process.

It's pretty common to have some not survive out of a group newly shipped, anthia are prone to disease like uronema.

I like at least 3-4 females to one male, or more.

Taylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the opposite experience. I had a couple of established females and added one female about the same size. The new one bullied the most established female untill I had to remove her because she wouldn't eat. Perhaps a smaller one is the way to go so she will obey the hierarchy.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 71.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back