Anthias special care?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this year I bought a trio of Anthias. One male and 2 female. I got them from a "pre-quarantine" vendor. They were very active and were fun to watch.

After a month or so, they got sick and died. I had an ich outbreak. I'm not sure if it was the pre-quarantine fish, as I didn't have any issues before.

Either way, the outbreak is gone. I want to get another trio. Is there anything I NEED to do with Anthias? I was feeding 2x a day. Is that not enough?

What do they eat? Pods?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this year I bought a trio of Anthias. One male and 2 female. I got them from a "pre-quarantine" vendor. They were very active and were fun to watch.

After a month or so, they got sick and died. I had an ich outbreak. I'm not sure if it was the pre-quarantine fish, as I didn't have any issues before.

Either way, the outbreak is gone. I want to get another trio. Is there anything I NEED to do with Anthias? I was feeding 2x a day. Is that not enough?

What do they eat? Pods?
Did the vendor treat them with copper for 30 days?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had poor results. I ran 7 disbars through observation QT and got them eating good. I added them to the display where they still ate good being fed multiple times a day . DT was a 180 gallon mature (8yo) tank. Over a few month period I ended up with none. Never saw any bickering, signs of illness or starvation and found no bodies. I had similar luck with chromis but out of seven I at least ended up with one but their bickering was obvious.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had poor results. I ran 7 disbars through observation QT and got them eating good. I added them to the display where they still ate good being fed multiple times a day . DT was a 180 gallon mature (8yo) tank. Over a few month period I ended up with none. Never saw any bickering, signs of illness or starvation and found no bodies. I had similar luck with chromis but out of seven I at least ended up with one but their bickering was obvious.
I had 3 lyretails, 1 male and 2 female. They were so fun. Always in a group. They seemed to be doing so well for a month or so, but all 3 died within a week . I found them eventually (inside a crevice in a rock).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine over three years old. In lieu of copper , you can use General cure which has Metrozanidole in it or even Formalin based treatment for at least 14 days. Even a ruby Rally Pro bath for 60 minutes will be a good start. Best advise is to NOT allow salinity to get low and also keep tank free of debris and uneaten food which is what often triggers health issues they are susceptible to

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back