Anthias suggestions

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon that I'm upgrading to at least a 120, maybe larger, somewhat soon and want to go ahead and get some anthias. I need a species that's not too big and I want to have at least 5. I can handle feeding them just fine just don't want to go with a standard lyre tail and then realize that I barely missed out on something amazing. Evansi are kind of cool, and I also like square anthias but they get too big. Any suggestions on species to look into would be awesome!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 lyretail in my 120 along with a bimac. The lyretail do great in a group of 5 with 2-3 feedings a day. I feed frozen mysis and brine in a 3:1 mixture along with supereggs.

thonis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lyretail are awesome, make sure you see a few different options, some have much more color than others.. PS, get a male and 2-3 females

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lyretail are awesome, make sure you see a few different options, some have much more color than others.. PS, get a male and 2-3 females
That's the plan lol. I actually think I'm just going to get all females and let them choose who becomes male

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon that I'm upgrading to at least a 120, maybe larger, somewhat soon and want to go ahead and get some anthias. I need a species that's not too big and I want to have at least 5. I can handle feeding them just fine just don't want to go with a standard lyre tail and then realize that I barely missed out on something amazing. Evansi are kind of cool, and I also like square anthias but they get too big. Any suggestions on species to look into would be awesome!
disclaimer: my anthias are on special order with TSM and they say they are seasonal... I've waited years for these dream fish and my pink princess anthias are reported to be hard to get to eat, but I've asked for 5 too

another anthias you might consider - barely pink - people say have tremendous personality and gorgeous are blotchies aka Holanthias borbonius:

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 lyretail in my 120 along with a bimac. The lyretail do great in a group of 5 with 2-3 feedings a day. I feed frozen mysis and brine in a 3:1 mixture along with supereggs.
I have an auto feeder to feed once a day whole I'm at work, then I come by at least one more time to feed a random combination of flake, frozen brine, frozen mysis, frozen blood worms, or live baby brine. Plus I'm setting up the 120 in a much more convenient area of the house so the extra feedings will be easier for me to do soon.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you say different options, do you mean different species or different stores?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are on at 10 am. I feed 2-3 days a week at noon if I come home. Otherwise I feed several times from 6pm to 11pm. I have an Avast Plnk that I will set up soon for 1-2 more feedings during the day.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say different options, do you mean different species or different stores?
Probably different vendors. I bought 3 females and 1 male from lfs and 2 females and the bimac from TSM. They all have great color.

Perthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say Lyretails are your best bet. They’re colourful with a clear distinction between male and female. Plus easy to feed.
I have lyretails and dispars in my tank, started with 8 Dispars and am down to 3, they’re nice fish but IMO the Lyretails are better looking and are near bulletproof.
I looked at the Evansi but apparently they can be hard to get feeding, and being a deeper water species they prefer dimmer lights.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are the Ignitus as easy to deal with as the Lyretails? They are what I am after real soon.
I have some in QT now (a friend is providing me with the service), like other anthias, it's a matter of finding healthy fish and getting them to acclimate to tank life. They are less of a bully compared to lyretails and don't seem to pick each other off.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple Lyretails, I had 6, but as normal course, one changed to male.
They are fed same as everyone else, once at lunch, once at dinner.
First pic is what changed to male, took about 3 months.
Second is three ladies.
3FEEA314-DCF5-442D-881F-6D4F64B74D7C.jpeg 1ED49532-5BF9-42C9-BB42-9E41832F599B.jpeg

Back