Anthias video

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share my video. Sorry about the glass (I didn't notice the streaks till afterwards:oops:)

I have 15 Ignitus, 7 Evansi, and 4 Squapinnis anthias and am looking to increase the number but I'm unsure what to get. I'm considering another 12 Ignitus. I have 4 Royal grammas living as a group and a trio of Timor wrasse.

The tank is still very much a build in progress and as yet is very light on corals.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice!!!how big of the tank? how ofnen do you feed?

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Evansi particularly are hard to keep adequately fed. I have never been able to sustain them in a mixed community tank; required a species tank. Yours look pretty good. Resplendent/Randalls are really nice mid sized fish.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely display. I really like Anthias but was concerned about their eating habits. I pulled the trigger on 5 lyretail and they are doing great. They eat anything I put in and look fantastic in my DT.
Great video!

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Evansi particularly are hard to keep adequately fed. I have never been able to sustain them in a mixed community tank; required a species tank. Yours look pretty good. Resplendent/Randalls are really nice mid sized fish.
TBH I have kept the before with limited success, but I went into a LFS and they had 4 which were actively chasing food, so I decided to give them a go. I also thought the Ignitus would act a jitter fish. Of those 4, 1 faded away but the other 3 joined and settled with the Ignitus. The shop then had another group of 4 from the same importer, I was offered them at a good price. I put them in the tank and they immediately bonded with the existing 3 and started to feed actively.

As I said I feed 3 times per day with a mixture of frozen pods (cyclopeeze, red pods, etc), enriched brine, mysis, lobster and fish eggs. I also feed live adult brine shrimp. I have also fed gnat larva and daphnia harvested from my pond in the garden, they don't last long in saltwater but if you put small amount in at a time the anthias 'learn' and wait where you put it in. I have a refugium which supplies some pods but I think that is more as a treat than a food source.

I think the major barrier to keeping them in a mixed reef is they have such small throats, and can only take particle foods and they just don't get enough in standard aquarium fare.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I had with them is that they are easily spooked by larger fish (like tangs). Even though I feed my tanks 4-5 times a day, they just were t aggressive enough to get enough to eat. I was able to sustain them in my NPS tank, but I don't have that anymore.

OP
OP
Haydn

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I had with them is that they are easily spooked by larger fish (like tangs). Even though I feed my tanks 4-5 times a day, they just were t aggressive enough to get enough to eat. I was able to sustain them in my NPS tank, but I don't have that anymore.
Get rid of the larger fish- especially tangs;):D

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately there are plenty of anthias species that do just fine with bigger fish.

Back