antivenom

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone has ever come across antivenom in their keeping of venomous fish? Having recently gotten a stone, I am wondering if I shouldn't have some just in case. The more pokes and preds there are, the more increase risk there comes.

If anyone has ran across access to it, could you pass it along?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt anyone has antivenom for these fish. Your best protection is probably an Epi-pen and Benadryal if you have are concerned with possible envenomation.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unaware of any antivenom for these fishes. Usually, its painful but any dangerous complications are due to an allergic reaction.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First hand experience from spending years in the ocean, HOT WATER! It breaks down the toxins. Just put your hand (or whatever injury site) in water that is as hot as you can stand and let it soak.
+1, I just got stung by my dwarf Fuzzy lionfish and the hot water helped a lot.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. There is a antivenom, but it is in Australia. They make it as they are a main area for people stepping on them. I can find all kinds of articles on how to administer it, how much to administer, and what to watch for. I just can’t find it.

Now I don’t plan to be stupid, or plan to get stung, I just am thinking ahead for any possibility. Heck, I haven’t even seen the spines flare up since he’s been in my tank.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. There is a antivenom, but it is in Australia. They make it as they are a main area for people stepping on them. I can find all kinds of articles on how to administer it, how much to administer, and what to watch for. I just can’t find it.

Now I don’t plan to be stupid, or plan to get stung, I just am thinking ahead for any possibility. Heck, I haven’t even seen the spines flare up since he’s been in my tank.

I believe the Australian anitvenom is for stonefish, which will kill a grown human rather quickly.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. That’s what I have and why I want the antivenom.
Ahh my bad, I thought we were talking about lionfish and such. I didn't even know that Reef Stone Fish were in the aquarium trade, I've never seen one in captivity.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh my bad, I thought we were talking about lionfish and such. I didn't even know that Reef Stone Fish were in the aquarium trade, I've never seen one in captivity.

Lions and scorps I take my chances with. I’ve had plenty in the past and have learned their behavior, as much as I can.

Stones are a different variety. While I will be cautious, I would like to be prepared as well.

509EA9E5-F35F-42CE-9DA0-01FD5F96B2DB.jpeg

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow didnt even know that you could find this fish for sale in the hobby, pretty cool man never seen one in a tank before. Good luck finding the antivenom, I know I definitely would want to have that on hand if I had this fish

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow didnt even know that you could find this fish for sale in the hobby, pretty cool man never seen one in a tank before. Good luck finding the antivenom, I know I definitely would want to have that on hand if I had this fish

I’ve been searching for a few years and this is my first one I’ve come across. I know of others that have searched longer and haven’t got one.

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amason shoulder length pvc gloves. I've had mine for several years if I remember correctly they they're 26 inches long cost about $15.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DANG!!!! Just got back to this and...DANG!!! I was thinking more along the lines of sculpins (Rock Fish) and sting rays. There will never be enough hot water in the world to take care of this bad boy's kiss of death. Do they make Kevlar gloves?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back