Any acantho experts? Open mouth

Mandrew559

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this acantho for maybe a month. Nothing has changed in parameters or livestock. Dip and move to shade? I do have a coral beauty on death row but I haven't seen him pick at any acantho jus wellsos. Mouth has been wide open for days now, doesn't respond to food

5040151E-6250-494E-8DEF-842B7D15C4AB.jpeg

bexlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do this when I go over 25 nitrate. I try to stay around 20, I start to see signs of distress at 25 and a rapid rise above 30 can kill them.

OP
OP
M

Mandrew559

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do this when I go over 25 nitrate. I try to stay around 20, I start to see signs of distress at 25 and a rapid rise above 30 can kill them.
Gotcha. Any other steps to lower it besides w/c? My ph swings a bit 7.9-8.2? Hoping chaeto and fuge light can stabilize that at night

bexlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any bad reactions to nightly pH swings with Acanthos, even without a kalk drip. Maybe I missed it, did you mention if you are using a skimmer? Due to their heavy appetites for large meaty foods, nitrates will likely be your biggest issue to keep under control (along with alk). Do some big water changes and increase changing your filter socks until it comes down. Don’t go too low. Try to stay at the 15-20.

OP
OP
M

Mandrew559

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any bad reactions to nightly pH swings with Acanthos, even without a kalk drip. Maybe I missed it, did you mention if you are using a skimmer? Due to their heavy appetites for large meaty foods, nitrates will likely be your biggest issue to keep under control (along with alk). Do some big water changes and increase changing your filter socks until it comes down. Don’t go too low. Try to stay at the 15-20.
Will do. Yea I skim 24/7

bexlc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Yea I skim 24/7
Ok, that’s good. That will help. Just FYI, if you get your nitrates under control, it can be beneficial to cut the skimmer for a few hours at night. Will help pH and give your bacterial population a chance to maintain itself. Can’t remember if it was Dr. Tim that just spoke about it at MACNA.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back