Any camera suggestions...

Pazazz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get a new digital camera... What camera's are most of you using for great zoa pics? Macro lens? Just macro option on camera? What type of camera setting for aquarium shots? White balancing tips?

Appreciate all that respond... Thanks

Reef Gardener

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pics and thank you for the tips, there are a few I'm gonna try tomorrow.

After seeing those pics - I want to go shopping!!

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Sony F717, with a macro setting. It'sd an older model, so you can get it cheap on Ebay, etc for under $300-400 now.

Didn't know until two nights ago that it has a setting that will let you zoom in REALLY close and crop after the closest focused pic is taken- like this:

Green Star Polyps
DSC00103.jpg

Sun Coral
DSC00079-1.jpg

Sun Coral Eating Fish Food (LOL!)
DSC00110-1.jpg

Little Tang Swimming:
DSC00077-1.jpg

I'd recommend it, even though it is a little pricey, well worth it for showing the true status of something.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a olympus e-500, it was 800 at costco, comes with two lenses; i can get really good pics, though i am saving for the 500 macro lense

if you are good with cameras and think you can work them they provide the most control over picture taking. i can set white balance k temp between 0k and 14k, thus making the picture as blue as i want.

taking pics in raw also allows me to set the white balance in post processing. i have just started taking pics using raw, and it is better, though another step and thus time consuming
I also have just gotten photoshop, havent even installed it yet, and that should make handling raw much easier

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also agree, if you are serious about photography, get a digital SLR that can take pictures in RAW format.

i've seen a couple local club members with some cheap SLR's, and it makes a BIG difference. also an SLR type camera gives you the option of purchasing a macro lens eventually.

i've had my digital camera since 1999, and its literally on its death bed. if i shake the camera i can here lose pieces of solder or something bouncing around inside the camera. lol. prob the reason why i only get blurry pics now.

i've been doing some research on them, as i'm due for a GOOD camera, so I'm pretty sure i'm gonna get something like a Canon Digital Rebel.

this site is about as good as it gets to researching/pricing/comparing cameras on the market today.

http://www.dpreview.com/

btw...i think we need a photography forum here ;)

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Olympus C750 Ulra Zoom. It is about 3 years old now. All those tips a few comments up are awesome. One other I would add which I feel is one of the most important, is to always keep the lens completely flush with the glass! I rest the lens right on the glass of the aquarium just to make sure it is perfect. I don't have a macro lens on my camera, but the macro options helps amazingly...and I ALWAYS use a tripod! Here are some of my favorites!

9-17-06Medium.jpg

ActinicPPESmall.jpg

ActinicRC.jpg

EagleEyeZoanthid.jpg

StarActinicMedium.jpg

Here are a couple of my pics on the covers of That Pet Place catalogs!!!

fishCatalog.gif

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stixbaraca said:
I use an Olympus C750 Ulra Zoom. It is about 3 years old now. All those tips a few comments up are awesome. One other I would add which I feel is one of the most important, is to always keep the lens completely flush with the glass! I rest the lens right on the glass of the aquarium just to make sure it is perfect. I don't have a macro lens on my camera, but the macro options helps amazingly...and I ALWAYS use a tripod! Here are some of my favorites!

9-17-06Medium.jpg

ActinicPPESmall.jpg

ActinicRC.jpg

EagleEyeZoanthid.jpg

StarActinicMedium.jpg

Here are a couple of my pics on the covers of That Pet Place catalogs!!!

fishCatalog.gif

Oooo, did they compensate you in corals, or $$$?
:D
Laurie

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They give me $20 per picture inside the catalog, and I think $50 per cover shot...all in gift certificates! Anyone can send their pictures in to them though. It's become a little game between a friend of mine and myself...he still hasn't gotten any cover shots, and I have 3...but we've both had countless shots published inside the catalog!

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, no joke... Mind if I send a few???? Don't worry, I'm just a girl...

Muahahahaha!
Laurie

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently been very disappointed in my SONY DSCH-1. This camera cost me 450 and is 5.1 megapixels and 12x optical zoom! It was the best camera before going to the SLR 1.5 years ago. It takes great photos, however i really want tight blow your mind shots and I can't get them with this camera. So I bought the MACRO FILTER for 58mm and was really hoping for improvement however I didn't get what I was looking for. So I took the camera to the shop with the lens and told them to teach me to use it. Guess what, I was already using it to it's max potential. Their advice was to get PHOTO SHOPPE 4.0. I have COREL 6 that came with my dell and I am getting Photoshoppe CS which is for free from a buddy so we will see if it makes a diff. Photoshoppe can adjust colors, I don't recommend that unless you want to fool people, but It will help in clarity and focus issues and it will crop and fade the background for a better pic!

To solve my problem I will have to go to a point and shoot SLR to take photos of fish uptight and on the move. My camera will do it but the pics need help. Because my hands shake I am leaning towards the SONY A100 and a 100MM lens. Close to $1600 OUCH!!![/img]
thelab0102.jpg

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never mess with any of the colors (too many people doing that unfortunately), and only use PS to crop images!

Laurie here is a link to the area on That Pet Place...click on the "PETS ONLINE" link to send the pics in...GOOD LUCK!!!

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stixbaraca said:
I never mess with any of the colors (too many people doing that unfortunately), and only use PS to crop images!

Laurie here is a link to the area on That Pet Place...click on the "PETS ONLINE" link to send the pics in...GOOD LUCK!!!

Stix, hun, you are pulling a Laurie and forgot the link itself...
LOL
Laurie

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr.Firemouth said:
I have recently been very disappointed in my SONY DSCH-1. This camera cost me 450 and is 5.1 megapixels and 12x optical zoom! It was the best camera before going to the SLR 1.5 years ago. It takes great photos, however i really want tight blow your mind shots and I can't get them with this camera. So I bought the MACRO FILTER for 58mm and was really hoping for improvement however I didn't get what I was looking for. So I took the camera to the shop with the lens and told them to teach me to use it. Guess what, I was already using it to it's max potential. Their advice was to get PHOTO SHOPPE 4.0. I have COREL 6 that came with my dell and I am getting Photoshoppe CS which is for free from a buddy so we will see if it makes a diff. Photoshoppe can adjust colors, I don't recommend that unless you want to fool people, but It will help in clarity and focus issues and it will crop and fade the background for a better pic!

To solve my problem I will have to go to a point and shoot SLR to take photos of fish uptight and on the move. My camera will do it but the pics need help. Because my hands shake I am leaning towards the SONY A100 and a 100MM lens. Close to $1600 OUCH!!![/img]
thelab0102.jpg

dont get a sony, you are paying an extra 20% to other comparable cameras just b/c of the name.

then theres the whole sony storage disk thing, which is only compatable with sony products (or did they finally change this?)

a camera using a SD, or SD mini card is a must in my book. seems to be the most generic storage device out there right now.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back