Any electricians on here? I have a question about stray voltage.

patsheridan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect to an ungrounded home wiring system, my understanding is that a GFI outlet placed anywhere in one particular circuit will not provide ground fault protection if there is no ground wire to connect to the GFI outlet. If that is correct, what then? How to protect the tank, and the person?

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect to an ungrounded home wiring system, my understanding is that a GFI outlet placed anywhere in one particular circuit will not provide ground fault protection if there is no ground wire to connect to the GFI outlet. If that is correct, what then? How to protect the tank, and the person?
If your house is ungrounded there is no path for ground that is of low impedance. If you are in the states I would bet that your service transformer is grounded as it would be an edison 3 wire circuit.

I would find this out first.

There is no easy path forward for you and you would best be served by having an inspector visit and offer advice.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A GFCI receptacle will still function with out a ground as it detects faults on the neutral. But you will find a GFCI plug in tester will not work but the built in receptacle tester will.

I would have a ground installed.

And keep in mind they should be tested. They don't last forever.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jason 2459. It was my eheim compact return pump that had a short in it. I replaced the pump. You saved my tank animals and quite possibly me as well

Glad you found the offending equipment. Did you continue on with the rest of what was plugged into that circuit? No likely but possible there's more then one.

Edit: assuming it's all plugged back in again (minus the pump) of course it's tested since it's all running now... :)

Dave1045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That "tingle" SUCKS- because then you have to go through the process of elimination to find the culprit. I'm NOT a "fan" of stray voltage at all.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back