Any glaring issues with my plumbing layout?

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello!

As luck would have it, my BRS shipment of pipe and fittings showed up on a PTO day.

We’re only half way through refinishing the cabinet, but I couldn’t resist dragging it in the house and mocking up the plumbing layout.

I’ve spent the last few weeks reading Gmac’s plumbing guide and looking through tons of pictures of different plumbing set ups. Admittedly, I am a plumbing novice. I have never actually so much as glued a PVC fitting together - until today! Perhaps a reckless move, I started with the expensive Spears gate valve. Aside from not being able to get the pipe to seat 100% in each joint, it came out clean and passed a basic leak test. Hopefully it performs as well under pressure...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would mind taking a look at the dry fit mock up of my eventual layout and tell me if there are any obvious errors, or things to be corrected. Please note that my return line is not yet shown, as I need to drill a hole in the cabinet for it. It will be a much more basic layout consisting of two vertical runs, one horizontal, and three 90 elbows.

I appreciate any and all help, comments, or input!

894E97A0-1714-4A53-925C-319C10FE01A4.jpeg

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need two pipes in the overflow.. generally one for main on the gate valve and the other is an emergency. If you have it like it is now it'll be real loud

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use stand pipes and 90 degree elbows (X2 for your set up for each pipe) to make the opening face down. Makes it a lot quieter.

Also, as mentioned above, it's a good idea to use one as a main and one as a backup because **** happens. The ideal scenario is to have it set up so one overflow pipe can handle the full volume of your return and the second is purely for emergencies. You would just make 1 stand pipe higher that the other in this situation.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can replace the 90s with 2 45s each it would help flow. Its not an issue it just helps. Looks good other than that and adding the overflow piping

OP
OP
pharazon

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need two pipes in the overflow.. generally one for main on the gate valve and the other is an emergency. If you have it like it is now it'll be real loud

I use stand pipes and 90 degree elbows (X2 for your set up for each pipe) to make the opening face down. Makes it a lot quieter.

Also, as mentioned above, it's a good idea to use one as a main and one as a backup because **** happens. The ideal scenario is to have it set up so one overflow pipe can handle the full volume of your return and the second is purely for emergencies. You would just make 1 stand pipe higher that the other in this situation.

Thanks for the feedback! I did not standpipes installed for the picture, but I will be running them when the tank is filled.

The box came with a standpipe for the emergency, I think it’s a 6” length pipe. Approximately how tall should the main be in comparison?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! I did not standpipes installed for the picture, but I will be running them when the tank is filled.

The box came with a standpipe for the emergency, I think it’s a 6” length pipe. Approximately how tall should the main be in comparison?
The emergency stand pipe only has to be an inch or 2 higher that the main.

Tbell805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind taking a picture of the sump area? Closing off your sump can increase the humidity underneath so I'd recommend keeping electronics out of the sump space.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You don't actually need a standpipe for the main drain. I would just put enough on there to put a screen over it to prevent blockage.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wont need a stand pipe for the main drain. When that gate valve is adjusted it will be under water and on full siphon.

OP
OP
pharazon

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don't actually need a standpipe for the main drain. I would just put enough on there to put a screen over it to prevent blockage.

You wont need a stand pipe for the main drain. When that gate valve is adjusted it will be under water and on full siphon.

Would I be safe to put a strainer on the main pipe?

Thank you everyone for all of your feedback!

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always say never put anything on a drain that could get clogged. But depending on the size of the strainer as long as its not restricting flow and you keep it clean it wont hurt. I would prevent anything from getting in the overflow plumbing such as snails but in my experience a properly designed overflow box should already prevent snails from getting in there. I have had a few fish take the ride to the sump before though which I feel is better than having the fish stuck in the overflow box.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back