Any Hogfish experts ????

richw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have purchased a Hogfish believing it was a Bodianus Masudai but having looked at it more closely I’m inclined to think it is a Bodianus opercularis I’m sure there is someone out there who can I.D this fish !

New to reef2reef and hello from the U.K

C7BE0EC1-1C7F-42B7-892A-3B852A4E0E72.jpeg
904B775E-195C-4F55-86E3-5E23F49716EE.jpeg
1A22B598-1485-4008-B827-2FB5AAC0577E.png

OP
OP
richw

richw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s from TMC in the U.K a large wholesailer, I don’t know it’s origin but was assured it was a masudai however all the pics I have seen it doesn’t have the fan shaped coloration on the caudal fin. Thanks for your reply and I’ll try and get in touch with them.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s from TMC in the U.K a large wholesailer, I don’t know it’s origin but was assured it was a masudai however all the pics I have seen it doesn’t have the fan shaped coloration on the caudal fin. Thanks for your reply and I’ll try and get in touch with them.

How big is it, it appears to be a juvi from the pic. As a juvi a few of them can be very confusing and the coloration will change.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is unfortunately confounded as the common name of a few species is masudai. B. sepiacaudus, is by far the most common. Yours does not look like a B. Masudai nor B. neopercularis
bodianus-masudai.jpg

Neopercularis
Bodianus-opercularis-2.jpg

Does not look like this juvi opercularis
Bodianus-opercularis-1.jpg

leads me to believe B.sepiacaudus, but I’m not a hog expert. On second look the The tail is not totally right for sepiacaudus but it’s hard to find reference images for small sepiacaudus.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opercularis. Masudai and Izuensis are very rare, I think almost endemic to Japan.

Usually what we see in the trade listed as the “Pacific Peppermint Hogfish” or “Pacific Red Stripe Hogfish” or sometimes mistakenly as the “Izu Hogfish” is B. Opercularis. I have never seen an actual Masuda’s or Izu Hogfish for sale.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opercularis. Masudai and Izuensis are very rare, I think almost endemic to Japan.

Usually what we see in the trade listed as the “Pacific Peppermint Hogfish” or “Pacific Red Stripe Hogfish” or sometimes mistakenly as the “Izu Hogfish” is B. Opercularis. I have never seen an actual Masuda’s or Izu Hogfish for sale.
Neither of those species are endemic to japan, and have much wider distributions than you describe. Izuensis has been offered with some frequency on DD

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Opercularis Pic I posted was miss ID by Reef builders.
But they've never gotten anything wrong before?!?!? ;Troll

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back