Any ideas?

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2823.JPG
IMG_2822.JPG
when I turned lights off this Squamosa looked fine,this morning it looks like this, hmmm. The oysters scallops snails are all ok I'm doing a 25% WC right now, the other clam seems to have a mantle issue.they were all out of the same tank at the same lfs.id really like to avoid this scenario in the future.

danielsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That top picture looks really weird, was the mantle transparent?? The blue dots look almost like they were done in Ms Paint o_O

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2824.JPG
IMG_2766.JPG
IMG_2763.JPG
Nope not photoshopped, the top pic is current the bottom two pics are from last week.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be pinched mantle. Look for pyramid snails as well. Remove the squamosa so it doesn't foul ypur tank. What type of lighting are you using, parameters?

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2826.JPG
The squami was pulled about 3 1/2 hrs ago, I couldn't even guess as to the par.parameters have been stable for months with a slight decrease in mg. cal 420. Kh 4.0. Mg 1190 temp 78.5 ph 8.34. Sg 1024. If you look at the scallops and oysters they are fine.i checked for pyramid snails, saw nothing. Nothing was on or eating the fleshy remains, nothing on the shell.nothing visible on any snails or the scallops or oysters.(I looked)

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with clams, oysters, ect, is they can look fine one day and dead the next so I wouldn't rely on how they look to determine that everything is fine. What type of lighting are you using? Pinched mantle can travel to the other clams in the tank. Keep an eye out for large swings in parameters as well.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2826.JPG
The squami was pulled about 3 1/2 hrs ago, I couldn't even guess as to the par.parameters have been stable for months with a slight decrease in mg. cal 420. Kh 4.0. Mg 1190 temp 78.5 ph 8.34. Sg 1024. If you look at the scallops and oysters they are fine.i checked for pyramid snails, saw nothing. Nothing was on or eating the fleshy remains, nothing on the shell.nothing visible on any snails or the scallops or oysters.(I looked)
Look at the clam/oysters after the lights are off for about 4 hours. That's when pyramids like to come out.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam I have left was looking better last night when I turned the lights down, today it's closed, with a bit of mantle showing but much darker in colour the other bivalves appear to be doing fine,
So far I've had no issues qt'ing 6 flame scallops a pearl oyster and two spiny oysters .i concerned about this clam,having lost one two days ago.
IMG_2838.JPG

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam I have left was looking better last night when I turned the lights down, today it's closed, with a bit of mantle showing but much darker in colour the other bivalves appear to be doing fine,
So far I've had no issues qt'ing 6 flame scallops a pearl oyster and two spiny oysters .i concerned about this clam,having lost one two days ago.
IMG_2838.JPG
What light is it. How high above the tank and what settings. Then we can rule out light.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2839.JPG
the light is 18" above the bottom of the tank for the past year or so.im in the process of raising the clam off the bottom

Last edited:
OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2844.JPG
IMG_2841.JPG
IMG_2844.JPG
I also found this whilst raising the clam, it was under a rock, I'm moving the clam up to 5" of the surface

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Polycad Flatworm, they will eat clams and snails. You need better lighting if you're going to keep Tridacna.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for identifying it. If that is what's been destroying the clams do they leave egges? In the DT we use kessil a360 tuna blue. Clams been raised significantly, worms been flushed,clam isn't open but the mantle that's visible is getting its colour back

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2838.JPG
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I fear you will lose this one as well. A clams mantle does not "sway" in the breeze the way yours is looking. They should be outstretched and firm even when somewhat tucked in for the night. Ruffled like this is not a good sign. It also looks to be a bit sunk in at the front. A FW dip might help but I have never saved one of mine when it was at this stage.

OP
OP
ImGood

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2850.JPG
IMG_2846.JPG
Yup unfortunately,did lose it , found this crab and toasted scallop & pearl oyster as well, the next am. The other spiny oyster, one scallop , & 2 pearl oysters are in the DT looking happy. I'm really disappointed the clams didn't make it, planning on picking up another spiny oyster later this week

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2850.JPG
IMG_2846.JPG
Yup unfortunately,did lose it , found this crab and toasted scallop & pearl oyster as well, the next am. The other spiny oyster, one scallop , & 2 pearl oysters are in the DT looking happy. I'm really disappointed the clams didn't make it, planning on picking up another spiny oyster later this week
Aw man. What a little demon!
Sorry.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back