Any input on Fiji overflow

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am in the process of setting up a 40 gallon breeder. I am close to the point where I will be in need of an overflow. I have been really looking at the Fiji Cube 800 gph overflow and I will be drilling the tank. I keep coming back to the Fiji Cube. Any input or experience with this overflow. They are also the only one who ever got back to my emails.TYIA. One other thing, is it possible to install where I won’t see waterline if I drill from inside of tank?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank rimless ? If not can you see the waterline?
I have one on a rimless and one on a 40b. The 40b, you cannot see the waterline. The overflow stands off enough on the tank to allow it to go up higher on the outside. I did have to trim a little of the lip on the inside though.

I think Fiji also has a spacer kit or different bulkheads that will allow a higher mounting height on a rolled tank. I suggest calling them or emailing them about it. I had them modify one of their sumps a bit, and they had no issue with communication or getting back to me.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thanks! One other thing did you drill from the inside out with the breeder to get it higher? That’s the tank I’m using.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drill from both sides to reduce chipping. I have a few templates though and was able to use one I had for the outside. If you email them and tell them the height you want it at, I bet they could cut you a template to use.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fijicube overflow on my 93 and it's fantastic!

I just ordered two 800 gph ones for my in wall 240 reef that's going in my store.

I wanted one on each end of the tank.

I swear by all the fijicube stuff I have used.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am in the process of setting up a 40 gallon breeder. I am close to the point where I will be in need of an overflow. I have been really looking at the Fiji Cube 800 gph overflow and I will be drilling the tank. I keep coming back to the Fiji Cube. Any input or experience with this overflow. They are also the only one who ever got back to my emails.TYIA. One other thing, is it possible to install where I won’t see waterline if I drill from inside of tank?

It's funny you talk about Will getting back to you. It's why I first ordered from him. I couldn't get anyone to contact me back within a reasonable amount of time.

I now have his cell and just ordered an entire pallet of tanks for my store as well.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 800 GPH overflow on my 40 breeder, just got it set up Sunday, couldn't be happier. So nice having lids for the overflow and the weir.
One of the great things is no matter how high up you drill the hole; the weir box shaft seats all the way into the overflow box and still fits around the little inside trim piece without any modifications.
I've seen a couple threads where people have had to cut that trim piece to get the overflow to fit the weir, but not with the Fijicube overflow.
They are also great to work with and will make sure you have a great experience.
I was shipped an overflow box from them that had an issue with one of the seems, they sent a new one the next day!
I couldn't be happier with my overflow, frag racks and customer service from them.
drill4.jpg
IMG_20190905_132928.jpg
IMG_20190906_183231.jpg
IMG_20190906_183324.jpg
IMG_20190908_171751.jpg
IMG_20190905_140430.jpg

drill.jpg
drill1.jpg
drill2.jpg
drill3.jpg

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed mine on a Oceanic tank. I played around with it a little to figure out the height and ended up flipping the template upside down and putting the bottom (thinnest) against the tank trim. I clamped it in place by using a block of wood on the interior of the tank and a c-clamp.

I can't see the waterline, but because the Oceanic rim is so thick I put a spacer against the exterior glass to hold the box away rather than attempting to cut the plastic. You could even use the template as the spacer; I realized this after making one out of 1/4" azek.

Silicone the spacer to the glass and then have this arrangement: flange, gasket, glass, sealant, spacer, gasket, box, nut.

I also put an 90 elbow in the box on the main drain line because I was getting some whirlpooling. That and extended the emergency standpipe to reduce trickling sound. I'm running what I believe to be 4-500 gph through the 800 box and I wouldn't call it "dead-silent" but it's barely noticeable; slight bubbling water sound.

It's well built. I need to contact them though because the removable weir has a gasket in it that if I push the weir all the way in it will leak past when the return pump is off and lower the water level below the weir teeth... that is it will drop to the bottom of the drilled hole and that floods my sump. I have the weir box out slightly and that seals the situation up. Hard to explain but it's a bit of a flaw. I *think* an additional o-ring will cure it.

59B9210C-BC75-4667-B5B4-3CCC1B878480.jpeg 52698FD7-F481-404A-993F-9BA91CC1D89B.jpeg BA823BF4-7132-4102-9590-DB68AE555D79.jpeg

Last edited:

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed mine on a Oceanic tank. I played around with it a little to figure out the height and ended up flipping the template upside down and putting the bottom (thinnest) against the tank trim. I clamped it in place by using a block of wood on the interior of the tank and a c-clamp.

I can't see the waterline, but because the Oceanic rim is so thick I put a spacer against the exterior glass to hold the box away rather than attempting to cut the plastic. You could even use the template as the spacer; I realized this after making one out of 1/4" azek.

Silicone the spacer to the glass and then have this arrangement: flange, gasket, glass, sealant, spacer, gasket, box, nut.

I also put an 90 elbow in the box on the main drain line because I was getting some whirlpooling. That and extended the emergency standpipe to reduce trickling sound. I'm running what I believe to be 4-500 gph through the 800 box and I wouldn't call it "dead-silent" but it's barely noticeable; slight bubbling water sound.

It's well built. I need to contact them though because the removable weir has a gasket in it that if I push the weir all the way in it will leak past when the return pump is off and lower the water level below the weir teeth... that is it will drop to the bottom of the drilled hole and that floods my sump. I have the weir box out slightly and that seals the situation up. Hard to explain but it's a bit of a flaw. I *think* an additional o-ring will cure it.

59B9210C-BC75-4667-B5B4-3CCC1B878480.jpeg 52698FD7-F481-404A-993F-9BA91CC1D89B.jpeg BA823BF4-7132-4102-9590-DB68AE555D79.jpeg
I agree about the weir shaft having a bit of wiggle, mine doesn't leak past but I can see how it could and absolutely agree that another o ring would make all the difference.
When I see Fijicube at the local frag swap next month I'll give them this feedback, they always ask if there's things they could change to make their products better.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another reference because I happen to be standing near the tank. I set the weir height, with cover, just below the lip of the tank rim so it wouldn’t interfere with the cover. It’s hard to measure but the water is 3/4 - 7/8” down. In my case that makes the water line 1/4” hidden. Not a lot of room for error. If you run lower flow rates the water level drops too...

4178FF74-9ECD-41F7-91C2-753762023775.jpeg

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 800 GPH overflow on my 40 breeder, just got it set up Sunday, couldn't be happier. So nice having lids for the overflow and the weir.
One of the great things is no matter how high up you drill the hole; the weir box shaft seats all the way into the overflow box and still fits around the little inside trim piece without any modifications.
I've seen a couple threads where people have had to cut that trim piece to get the overflow to fit the weir, but not with the Fijicube overflow.
They are also great to work with and will make sure you have a great experience.
I was shipped an overflow box from them that had an issue with one of the seems, they sent a new one the next day!
I couldn't be happier with my overflow, frag racks and customer service from them.
drill4.jpg
IMG_20190905_132928.jpg
IMG_20190906_183231.jpg
IMG_20190906_183324.jpg
IMG_20190908_171751.jpg
IMG_20190905_140430.jpg

drill.jpg
drill1.jpg
drill2.jpg
drill3.jpg
This is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you very much! You guys are great!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back