Any Issues with Marco Rock?

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is bryopsis?
Starts out looking like simple hair algae but then grows into something similar to a fern. The best nutrient export methods that obliterate other forms of algae have little effect. Dome people have luck raising magnesium levels very high and others have seen it die off from long periods of total blackout. I've tried everything with no luck. Hope you never have to learn more about it lol

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starts out looking like simple hair algae but then grows into something similar to a fern. The best nutrient export methods that obliterate other forms of algae have little effect. Dome people have luck raising magnesium levels very high and others have seen it die off from long periods of total blackout. I've tried everything with no luck. Hope you never have to learn more about it lol
Thanks, I hope I never meet it either. My rocks(BRS reef saver) are covered in a thin green film that doesn't grow any hairs and I have a few specks of pink and red coraline popping up. Hopefully soon the coraline will take over the green. Two month ugly tank syndrome is getting old. [emoji12]

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start off as saying I love Marco rock.

I used it twice.

First time I was battling a bunch of algae and after 2 years (some of this was my fault with bad maintenance) I decided to reboot the tank. I bleached and muriatic acid washed the rock.

I also picked up 50 pounds of new Marco rock.

I threw it all in a garbage can with saltwater, a heater, and a powerhead.

The tub was picking up incredibly high phosphates! I don't remember the readings as this was 6 months ago. I don't think it was the old rock since it was acid washed but I am pretty sure it was the new rock. I cannot be certain either way.

Anyway I treated the whole tub with LC over the course of a few weeks and now months later I have no crazy algae blooms.

I love the Marco rock but I would treat with LC just in case. my 2 cents

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Marco rocks since the beginning of doing saltwater aquarium. I just bought a couple of pieces of live rock from LTD to seed the dry rock I bought. I did rinse and let the rocks cycle in a bucket of saltwater a week before adding to my tank. I have had no problems whatsoever with using them.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought 100 lbs about 6 years ago. Still in use today. It took a good year for the white rock look to go away. I pressure cleaned it, then dipped in ro water trash can, then cured it with about 20 lbs of LR for 6 months before using it.
For a few weeks it had a weird bacteria bloom on the rock. Almost like white short hair on it.
But it has been good rock.
The shapes are very weak though. It was like a bunch of small and large balls. That was my only real conplaint. You cant beat LR shapes.

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apurplereefrock.com has some Beautiful purple rock,and west marineculture has some nice bonsai tree structures that look bonsai tree really nice. I know they will have something you like

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just an observation of mine that I have no scientific backing for: every time I've used dry rock, multiple sources including Marco, I've had to deal with bryopsis within the first few months. I've never seen the stuff or knew of its existence until trying dry rock.

Until there is an easier method of removing bryopsis I will use live rock exclusively. I'd rather deal with Cyano, dynos, aptasia, and flatworms all at once than see on more strand of that vile stuff formulas!

To kill Bryopsis use Fluconazole. Do a search on Google kills it quickly. I've used it successfully in a couple tanks.

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To kill Bryopsis use Fluconazole. Do a search on Google kills it quickly. I've used it successfully in a couple tanks.
0 luck with Fluconazole. I'd be convinced it was a gimmick if 100s of people hadn't used it with success.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 luck with Fluconazole. I'd be convinced it was a gimmick if 100s of people hadn't used it with success.
Post a picture of what you have on the thread I listed. There is a person there Jose Mayo that will identify what type of algae you have. I had Bryopsis in some of my tanks. It worked. I thought I had Bryopsis in a different tank, and it turned out to be a different type of algae. I had to do 2 treatments of the fluconazole along with H2O2. Finally the algae has died. It was a fern looking algae also that was all over my rocks and was spreading by roots across my sand. It has taken over 2 months to kill it. I may do a 3rd fluconazole treatment just to be sure. I posted a picture and Jose indentifiee the algae and said that fluconazole would kill it, but it would take a long time to work. Jose is also the person who discovered that fluconazole kills Bryopsis.

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is long gone. It had me toying with the idea of giving up reefing forever. Total tank breakdown twice to try to deal with it. You name the treatment and I probably tried it. Bryopsis is my reefing Boogeyman

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it took me 3 doses to get rid of mine but I got rid of it in two tanks-display and display refugium. Nasty stuff but you can get it gone. Just takes time. I also used one capsule more, added a few days later.

killstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 75lbs of BRS reef saver rock. Tossed around the idea of the reefrock 2.1, but after seeing a few reviews that the purple faux coraline chipped off, I decided to stay away it. The BRS reef rock stacks very nicely and looks great. I can't confirm phosphates, getting a kit for it soon, but I don't think I have much and my nitrates are always low. Everything in my tank is happy, I have no pest algae growth and coraline is starting to cover the rocks.

4bc93b1338e6e9b848976b4b3bbda5a2.jpg
How big is this tank? Trying to figure out how much rock I really want to order for my 130g

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is this tank? Trying to figure out how much rock I really want to order for my 130g
These days it seems like the trend is to by enough rock to design the scale that you prefer. If you need more substrate, add media in the sump.

Also, when I built mine, I broke up the large rocks into smaller pieces and used the tidal gardens method to truly build the scape I wanted. So easy these days.

killstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These days it seems like the trend is to by enough rock to design the scale that you prefer. If you need more substrate, add media in the sump.

Also, when I built mine, I broke up the large rocks into smaller pieces and used the tidal gardens method to truly build the scape I wanted. So easy these days.
I got 80 lbs. -unrelated I had to order another tank so that’s why tank is missing ha- so this is a 135 gallon 72x18 tank size stand for anyone who wants a reference on how much 80lb Marco rock looks like
3A06B5A2-5E41-4E14-85DE-B549BA7E3C5B.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back