Any Moorish Idols owners?

haitian_reefer

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 30, 2019
Messages
677
Reaction score
633
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine for 3 months now. I feed it predominantly NLS 4x a day via automatic feeder.

8A66C435-DDC2-4E8D-80E8-03A145D7915B.jpeg
 
It’s the most aggressive eater in my tank and I have 3 tangs.
Ok. I NEED to know what tangs you have. I want to attempt this in my tank. I’ve been researching them a lot.

I also have 3 tangs. Blue, bristletooth, and lieutenant.
 
I have the following:

2x Picasso clowns
1 yellow eye Kole Tang
1 Magnificent Foxface
1 Blonde Naso
2 Bangai Cardinals
1 Blue Streak cleaner wrass
1 Copperband
1 Goldrim Tang
 
Forgot to include a pic
Okay I get this is about that moorish but the Marginalis is beautiful! Wish I had waited for a small one and not gone for the same size but in a CBB.
 
Can you tell us about how you acquired your idol? I have been more than curious for a while. LFS near me brings them in on occasion and they do a full quarantine and get them eating before they will sell them. They have one in a 140-gallon display they state has been in there for just over 2 years eating mostly pellets and doing great. I wonder about the long-term effects of a diet lacking diversity.
 
Can you tell us about how you acquired your idol? I have been more than curious for a while. LFS near me brings them in on occasion and they do a full quarantine and get them eating before they will sell them. They have one in a 140-gallon display they state has been in there for just over 2 years eating mostly pellets and doing great. I wonder about the long-term effects of a diet lacking diversity.
Honestly if you get a healthy specimen that eats, they quickly learn to eat just about anything you add. A diet of mixed pellets, frozen, and nori will keep them healthy longterm. They just need to be fed constantly or they'll stop growing and waste away. These fish need to be fed 3-4x daily at a minimum, preferably with nori to graze on between meals. They have an extremely fast metabolism. Only fish with faster metabolism I've kept include Purple queen anthias (Pseudanthias tuka) and belted ribbon wrasse (Stethojulis balteata).
 
Honestly if you get a healthy specimen that eats, they quickly learn to eat just about anything you add. A diet of mixed pellets, frozen, and nori will keep them healthy longterm. They just need to be fed constantly or they'll stop growing and waste away. These fish need to be fed 3-4x daily at a minimum, preferably with nori to graze on between meals. They have an extremely fast metabolism. Only fish with faster metabolism I've kept include Purple queen anthias (Pseudanthias tuka) and belted ribbon wrasse (Stethojulis balteata).
Great info! A healthy specimen is definitely give you a good start.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new