Any one doing Tropic Marin Balling system?

https://www.triton.de/en/

ArcticAcropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Not recommended. If you want to supplement trace elements use Tropic Marin Trace A and Trace K.
Can the following be said...

Trace A and K is better...If you want to add trace for anything other than when using TM balling A and B, ie because your using a carx or 2 part only delivering ca / alk.

Part C is really only to be used with TM balling A and B.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lou Ekus

View Badges
Reaction score
Can the following be said...

Trace A and K is better...If you want to add trace for anything other than when using TM balling A and B, ie because your using a carx or 2 part only delivering ca / alk.

Part C is really only to be used with TM balling A and B.
In general yes. I'm just not sure what you mean by "carx". But everything else you have said is correct.

Lou Ekus

View Badges
Reaction score
CaRx = calcium reactor.

I'm getting confused with all the hypotheticals. If I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef + all 3 parts of the TM Balling system, should I need to supplement with trace elements and Mg?
The Balling MEthod only addresses Ca and alkalinity, and keeps the solution ionically balanced in relation to your additions. It does NOT address supplemntation for used Mg or trace elements.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Are there any Tropic Marin products that would be dosed in the same volume as the Balling Method that would supplement Mg and trace?

I have an Alkatronic and Dosetronic, the dosing volume is adjusted based on Alk reading. I've got 2 more dosing heads available that could be put to use :)

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Seems like part c was a waste of money in retrospect. I guess Red Sea trace is the way to go

ArcticAcropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Are there any Tropic Marin products that would be dosed in the same volume as the Balling Method that would supplement Mg and trace?

I have an Alkatronic and Dosetronic, the dosing volume is adjusted based on Alk reading. I've got 2 more dosing heads available that could be put to use :)
If you want to supplement trace then you use A and K, they have a mag product also.

So from the top, the 3 part balling method (A, B, and C) will supplement Ca and Alk while maintaining ionic balance. The only occasional thing you need to test is salinity as it can slowly increase with balling (also true for b ionic), all you do to lower it is occasionally (not often!) add some RODI.

It's still not exactly clear to me why part c cant just be used to supplement trace and mag.

What I really want to know is, does the balling method result in water more like pro reef or classic salt?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
What I really want to know is, does the balling method result in water more like pro reef or classic salt?
Part C is not going to significantly supplement the tank. it has, by design, very little of trace elements in it. Same that a tiny water change would provide. It is mostly magnesium and sulfate, some potassium, and less of everything else.

if you want to supplement, say, iron or iodine, both of which deplete fast, a different supplement is needed that has a lot more of these.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
For sure not if you want to keep your saltwater ionically balanced. In my opinion much of the potassium hype was a consequence of ionically imbalanced additives.

Thanks, Hans-Werner, I agree.

Corals.com

ArcticAcropora

View Badges
Reaction score
The Balling MEthod only addresses Ca and alkalinity, and keeps the solution ionically balanced in relation to your additions. It does NOT address supplemntation for used Mg or trace elements.
So when considering carbocalcium vs balling, I'd choose balling...

Carbocalcium: Slight ph lowering, carbon dosing, and oxygen depletion. I want to be clear, for those of you who are reading this and don't have super high ca and alk needs, carbocalcium or even better all-for-reef is potentially the best product out there considering it's ease of use.

Balling: Just check your salinity now and then. You have to dose 3 things but again just maintain salinity.

Lou, would you agree that for those of us who don't mind the extra work the 3 part balling is still slightly superior for the aforementioned reasons especially if you have high ca and alk needs?

Lou Ekus

View Badges
Reaction score
So when considering carbocalcium vs balling, I'd choose balling...

Carbocalcium: Slight ph lowering, carbon dosing, and oxygen depletion. I want to be clear, for those of you who are reading this and don't have super high ca and alk needs, carbocalcium or even better all-for-reef is potentially the best product out there considering it's ease of use.

Balling: Just check your salinity now and then. You have to dose 3 things but again just maintain salinity.

Lou, would you agree that for those of us who don't mind the extra work the 3 part balling is still slightly superior for the aforementioned reasons especially if you have high ca and alk needs?
Actually, I don't totally agree. They are both for slightly different applications.

If there is a significant variation in the need for Ca and alkalinity, then the Balling Method gives you a very easy way to address that on a consistent daily basis. You can still do it with the Carbocalcium. It's just smoother to do it every day with Balling.

If, on the other hand, the Ca and alkalinity usage is quite consistent and in proportion, then it is hard to beat the ease and simplicity of the Carbocalcium.

I don't agree with the down side assessments of the Carbocalcium. In my opinion, the oxygen depletion and carbon dosing benefits are so minute, that they are not an advantage or disadvantage either way. And I have seen very little change in pH from the Carbocalcium addition, if any at all. So, for me, the deciding factor comes down to the need to adjust the levels or not.

https://www.triton.de/en/

How important are having the right snails in your reef?

• VERY Important

Votes: 212 43.1%
  • Important

Votes: 202 41.1%
  • Not So Important

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • I don't have snails

Votes: 27 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 0.8%

Online statistics

Members online