Any one doing Tropic Marin Balling system?

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this system (sort of) on my new tank and had a question. I mean sort of because for parts A and B I'm still using Arm & Hammer baking soda and BRS calcium chloride (mixed to same ratios as Tropic Marin A & B). For part C I am using the Tropic Marin salts.
My question is does anyone know if part C contains magnesium? It states that it is a sodium chloride free salt and that's all I've been able to gather. I've had a hard time getting my magnesium up using this product and that's why I'm questioning it. I will try to contact Tropic Marin as well to see what they say and recommend.
Anyone who might know, I'd appreciate your feedback.
Thanks in advance.
Rob

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this system (sort of) on my new tank and had a question. I mean sort of because for parts A and B I'm still using Arm & Hammer baking soda and BRS calcium chloride (mixed to same ratios as Tropic Marin A & B). For part C I am using the Tropic Marin salts.
My question is does anyone know if part C contains magnesium? It states that it is a sodium chloride free salt and that's all I've been able to gather. I've had a hard time getting my magnesium up using this product and that's why I'm questioning it. I will try to contact Tropic Marin as well to see what they say and recommend.
Thanks in advance.
Rob

A sodium chloride free salt would be mostly magnesium, sulfate, chloride, some potassium, and a few other things (many other things, perhaps, but much less of everything else).

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It states that it is a sodium chloride free salt and that's all I've been able to gather. b

It is what it states. Normal sea salt - without sodium-chloride.
It is part of the "full" balling what is:

Calcium - chloride + Sodium bicarbonate
Magnesium - chloride + Sodium bicarbonate
Plus all the required micro and macroelements added to these.

That ends up in your tank as calcium carbonate and Magnesium carbonate. And as you see with red the remaining is Sodium Chloride.
If you add sodium chloride free sea salt you will keep the perfect balance of your water - while increasing the saltinity in your tank at the same time. Excess salt however is easy to remove by replacing water with RODI water.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is what it states. Normal sea salt - without calcium-chloride.
It is part of the "full" balling what is:

Normal sea salt - without sodium chloride.

In the end, the effect is the same as using a two part like B-ionic. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advance.
Rob

I wouldn't use the sodium chloride free salt to boost magnesium for any significant rise, although it will work, because it will boost other things such as potassium.

I'd just use a commercial or DIY magnesium supplement. :)

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the responses. So correct me if im wrong but it be ok to still dose the part c in equal amounts to a and b and use BRS mag solution to make up the difference in mag like I've done in the past?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the responses. So correct me if im wrong but it be ok to still dose the part c in equal amounts to a and b and use BRS mag solution to make up the difference in mag like I've done in the past?

Yes. How low is magnesium?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For part C I am using the Tropic Marin salts
Part C is for keeping Part A and B... stable.

The dose for part C is the lower dose # of A or B.

If you want trace element dosing, then you can give TM A and K elements a whirl.

Regards, GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag is around 1250. I'm looking to get it up over 1300 with my goal around 1350. My calcium has been steady around 430.
Thanks.
Just trying to help:

If your not using the part C, then your not doing the TM Full Balling method.

Part C, keeps A and B stable. :)

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to help:

If your not using the part C, then your not doing the TM Full Balling method.

Part C, keeps A and B stable. :)
I'm going to continue part C in exact dosing amounts to A and B. To this point my doing just part C has my mag too low so I will supplement with BRS mag solution to keep it where I need it.
Thanks.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to continue part C in exact dosing amounts to A and B. To this point my doing just part C has my mag too low so I will supplement with BRS mag solution to keep it where I need it.
Thanks.
I would dose up the mag slowly and see if your cal rises too, but it would not hurt to call TM USA.
Lou is a great guy and knows his stuff. :)

Your Welcome and just wanted to help.

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand of salt are you using Classic or Pro-Reef?

I'm using TM Pro-Reef in conjunction with TM Balling, currently 12ml/day of equal parts. Salinity at 35 PSU, Calcium stays at 450 ppm, Magnesium 1300 ppm, Alkalinity 9 dKH.

I just started mixing TM Bio-ACTIF K- Elements to container A and A- Elements to container B.

Last edited:

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the homepage you can find more details:
Concentration of solution:

Calcium chloride dihydrate (part A): 20.000 mg/l (ppm) Ca
Sodium carbonate/sodium bicarbonate (part B): 2800° dKH/l
Sodium chloride free sea salt (part C): 3350 mg/l Mg; 980 mg/l K

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the homepage you can find more details:
Concentration of solution:
Calcium chloride dihydrate (part A): 20.000 mg/l (ppm) Ca
Sodium carbonate/sodium bicarbonate (part B): 2800° dKH/l
Sodium chloride free sea salt (part C): 3350 mg/l Mg; 980 mg/l K
Does using this system allow you to do away with water changes? That as if the sole purpose of your water changes was to replace minerals and trace elements. Does part C add these back thus eliminating the need for them?
Thanks.

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand of salt are you using Classic or Pro-Reef?

I'm using TM Pro-Reef in conjunction with TM Balling, currently 12ml/day of equal parts. Salinity at 35 PSU, Calcium stays at 450 ppm, Magnesium 1300 ppm, Alkalinity 9 dKH.

I just started mixing TM Bio-ACTIF K- Elements to container A and A- Elements to container B.
Actually I'm using Red Sea blue bucket (regular) at the moment.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does using this system allow you to do away with water changes? That as if the sole purpose of your water changes was to replace minerals and trace elements. Does part C add these back thus eliminating the need for them?
Thanks.

Like a good quality two part (say, B-ionic), it is effectively providing a small water change. How much depends on how much you are adding calcium and alkalinity. Adding 1.1 dKH per day of alkalinity and the balanced amount of calcium effectively provides for about the same amount of water changes as a monthly 3% water change.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back