Any other options then apex ?

Vinnyv87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other options other then apex ? I don’t need any crazy graphs... I don’t need it run my lights or pump ..only looking for something to give me alerts on ph temp and salinity and maybe something else ....any info would be much appreciated

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more then $300

I dont know at that price range. You can pick up wifi controllable outlets from Amazon but I know you said you weren't interested in lighting controls, etc. Honestly, I bought the Alex EL system for $499 and it was one of the best purchases to date. I have since expanded it completely with a bunch of add ons.

OP
OP
Vinnyv87

Vinnyv87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know at that price range. You can pick up wifi controllable outlets from Amazon but I know you said you weren't interested in lighting controls, etc. Honestly, I bought the Alex EL system for $499 and it was one of the best purchases to date. I have since expanded it completely with a bunch of add ons.
Yeah I looked into that one but it only checks ph and temp by the time you end up buying all they add ons you spent over $800

U

User1

View Badges
Look at used as an option. Apex and GHL can usually be found.

Open source, Reef Angel, is a nice product if you have some basic understanding of code. There are some things that it still does a lot better than any offering from GHL and Apex. This is specific to custom libraries that are not possible in either of the more readily available Apex or GHL solutions.

As also noted a 'pi based solution may also be there but similar to the RA I noted above. So the only other thing I'd suggest is make a pro/con list and consider upgrade in the future. That may help you navigate through the price and options. Today is just that, today.

Tomorrow, well, is just that tomorrow and we both do not know what is in store for us. If it holds an upgrade then waiting and saving may help you save money down the road. Best of luck!

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont even check my ph, I don't think most people do after awhile. And the salinity probes drift, I think.. I have an older apex. Does all I need to and more

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A used Apex classic, GHL Mini, or perhaps one of the new CoralVue controllers coming to market this year would meet your price point and needs.
The GHL Mini doesn't have alerts. It has an audible alarm and you can log in remotely to it, but no alerts. A function the controller is really missing. Hoping it's something they can in the future.

Also no salinity, which the OP is looking for. Temperature and pH only.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GHL Mini doesn't have alerts. It has an audible alarm and you can log in remotely to it, but no alerts. A function the controller is really missing. Hoping it's something they can in the future.

Also no salinity, which the OP is looking for. Temperature and pH only.

Oh... thank you for the correction.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more then $300

I know it's outside of your budget, but maybe they'd work with you on the price?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need something to test ph temp and salinity and give me the reads and alerts

A used Apex lite or classic should fit your budget and do all of that. You might need a module for the Lite to do both salinity and pH.. can't remember but I would look into those.

FYI salinity probes can be a PITA and plain wrong so I would do a little research on those to see if you really want it and if you have a place to put it away from everything else.

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a used Reef Keeper Lite, all new probes, float switches, mounting brackets and calibration solutions for $200.. love it!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While you're looking, be sure to check out the new one from CoralVue. It's intended to be a budget friendly controller. I believe it's called Hydros. @Jeff@CoralVue would be able to help with more info.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back