Any recommendations on a cheap/hardy heater for a 10 gallon?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a lot of heaters break down on me. Anything cheaper, not fancy, but reliable long term?? Specifically for a 10 gallon tank for water changes.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Kmarshall168

Bearded Dude that likes things in water
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also an inkbird temp controller is a nice redundancy for monitoring and backup

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For smaller tanks I like heaters that can be controlled from outside the tank. Or as posted above add an inkbird controller get the wifi.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for the Jager. I control mine with a digital Finnex. Definitely get a controller.

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a lot of heaters break down on me. Anything cheaper, not fancy, but reliable long term?? Specifically for a 10 gallon tank for water changes.

Would appreciate any suggestions.
I recommend buying an inkbird controller and then just whatever 50W heater is cheapest.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'm not sure that a controller is necessary for a water change tank. Any reputable brand mentioned above should be fine considering the frequency of use.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For super cheap, Aqueon pre-set to 78 degree heaters from PetCo or online are like $6-$12 usually.
That said, I don't actually think you need to heat your water change water if changing out reasonable amounts,,, but that's a different topic.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater is such essential in a small tank. Any dysfunction is likely to wipe out the tank. Cheap heater have great potential to cause damage that is much more expensive than the heater in term of list but f life.
I recommend a temperature controller tether tan an on off heater. Finned temp controller with whatever heating element you want. It is a lot safer than any cheap heater. It is not too expensive either.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater is such essential in a small tank. Any dysfunction is likely to wipe out the tank. Cheap heater have great potential to cause damage that is much more expensive than the heater in term of list but f life.
I recommend a temperature controller tether tan an on off heater. Finned temp controller with whatever heating element you want. It is a lot safer than any cheap heater. It is not too expensive either.
I read the post as meaning to heat water change water not display tank, but maybe I was mistaken.
SauceyReef, maybe clarify that.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is I who misread the question. IMO, heating up water for water change is not needed, unless you have a huge water change. I change 25% of the water without the need to heat the water. It won't change the temperature of the tank significantly unless the rater is really cold. If you change 10% of the water, it takes a temperature differential of 10 degree to decrease the tank temperature by 1 degree. Several degree changes is not important change in our tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant heating up the new water I am putting into the DT for the water change. I have a small tank anyway so being a few degrees off and doing a 5 gallon water change could cause a big shock to the system specifically for fish/inverts I would like to avoid. I make sure my salinity and temp is pretty spot on to the DT before doing water changes. I may consider a controller for my tank, but not for the 5 gallon water change bucket that seems to be overkill. I have a digital hanna reader anyways it is fast & easy to use.

Thanks for the help everyone.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do water change in the winter, I often heat up the water in microwaves to get the cold water to a reasonable temperature. Just get a 1/2 gal of the water and heat it in Miceowave and use that to increase the new water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back