Any success stories with clown goby in a Acropora/SPS dominant tank?

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the yellow clown goby and almost ordered one before I found numerous posts of folks who had clown gobies chew up and destroy their acros.

I'm just curious if this is pretty much guaranteed or if any folks have had success keeping these gobies in Acro/SPS dominant tanks. If so, were you successful because you have a large tank and could spread out the damage? Or does this behavior vary by fish?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the yellow clown goby and almost ordered one before I found numerous posts of folks who had clown gobies chew up and destroy their acros.

I'm just curious if this is pretty much guaranteed or if any folks have had success keeping these gobies in Acro/SPS dominant tanks. If so, were you successful because you have a large tank and could spread out the damage? Or does this behavior vary by fish?
Ive got 3 in with SPS and honestly, I couldn’t tell you what is happening as I have poor water at the moment but also 3 clown gobies in that system.

One thing I can guarantee is my Black Clown Goby is more reef safe than a Blenny was. And my Yellow Clown Goby I believe is also reef safe however my Citron Clown Goby may be tearing apart my Acros.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230409_161919.jpg
20230924_112330.jpg

No issues here. Mine has a favorite coral to hang in and has caused 0 damage. He's actually in nearly the same spot in the second photo if you look close.

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a dominated tank but my yellow clown goby sits in my green birdsnest the most which it doesn’t like (hasn’t died off) haven’t seen it eating polyps either but i do have an auto feeder
imo worth the gamble just because i like how funny and personable they are

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a dominated tank but my yellow clown goby sits in my green birdsnest the most which it doesn’t like (hasn’t died off) haven’t seen it eating polyps either but i do have an auto feeder
imo worth the gamble just because i like how funny and personable they are
Good to know! Do you have Acropora in your tank?

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230409_161919.jpg
20230924_112330.jpg

No issues here. Mine has a favorite coral to hang in and has caused 0 damage. He's actually in nearly the same spot in the second photo if you look close.
It looks like from your build thread you have a 120g with a good qty of Acropora and other SPS. Do you do anything to target feed? You’ve never even observed nipping of some of the corals?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 in my softie tank (yellow, green, and black), they all perch on soft corals all day, I've never seen them munch on anything. There is no sps in there so I can't say anything about that.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like from your build thread you have a 120g with a good qty of Acropora and other SPS. Do you do anything to target feed? You’ve never even observed nipping of some of the corals?
No nipping and I don't target feed. He will shoot up from the corals and grab pellets when my auto feeder goes off once a day and he will do the same thing when I add fresh frozen foods to the tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got 3 in with SPS and honestly, I couldn’t tell you what is happening as I have poor water at the moment but also 3 clown gobies in that system.

One thing I can guarantee is my Black Clown Goby is more reef safe than a Blenny was. And my Yellow Clown Goby I believe is also reef safe however my Citron Clown Goby may be tearing apart my Acros.
Update; my Corals are not being harmed by the Gobies but instead something is leaking tin into the system.
Here’s a recent system photo of the clown goby tank;
IMG_7415.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back