Any Thoughts On The Klir Filter?

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will the Klir fit the ICE CAP 36" sump? The socks holes don't fit a standard sock.. a little smaller. The red sea socks will lay.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, I just looked at the pictures on the klirfilter site after I noticed in an add for the DI-7 that they are going straight from the first roller into the filter section the same way I'm doing now. The pictures in the Overview section on their site show the fleece going down on both sides at an angle. In the CoralVue video they definitely install through the 2nd roller and it's on both my new and old section. Anyway, it's just interesting. I think it's a waste. My spool is definitely working much much better now.

Gotfrogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to give one of the 7" ones a try. Hopefully it fits in my simp without modifications! The opening at the top of my sump id 6.5" across and if I am looking at the figure correctly, the 7" Klir is only 6" across in one direction?

09164b06e52b82359400c089cfa39482.jpg

Last edited:

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been running mine now for two months which I am pretty happy with the results. I was wondering does anyone have a detritus buildup on sump floor? I figured that with a 50 micron roll there would be a minimal amount that would pass through.
yes we all do nothing you can do about it.

Gotfrogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well noting is ever easy in this hobby. The Flit 7 does not fit in my sump.
abc06b1a04b5e4452a057c94db25e3be.jpg

How feasible and safe do you think it would be to modify the top of my sump. My main concerns are cracking or damaging the sump and having a nice clean professional cut. I would just need to extend the front cut out by ~1”.
3172598513533f87384277a50a5be3bf.jpg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about putting it in your middle / first sock, and capping the second rather then taking a router to your sump?

Gotfrogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about putting it in your middle / first sock, and capping the second rather then taking a router to your sump?
Unfortunatly I don't have a center one. There is a front and a back one and they both have the same problem, though there is a little more interferance on the front slot.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be okay if using a dremel and cutting wheel in terms of damage but clean is another story.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunatly I don't have a center one. There is a front and a back one and they both have the same problem, though there is a little more interferance on the front slot.
Gotcha, picture perspective looked like you had that as an option.

PatReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the meaning of the status of the led on the controller? Currently there is ''motor'': state blue and ''Power'': flashing red

It's OK?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the flashing red means that the motor is stalled and cannot turn.

PatReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the flashing red means that the motor is stalled and cannot turn.

Looks like my controller is faulty. Very good service at Coralvue, I received a return to my service request(email) within one hour! They must send me a new one.

For your information, here is what the LEDs on the controller represent:
- Solid Red = Controller is powered up
- Solid Blue = Motor is powered up but idle
- Flashing Blue = Motor is engaged and advancing fleece
- Flashing red with audible alarm = means that one of the following things happened:
1) The motor ran constantly for more than 1 minute
2) The motor ran constantly 3 independent times within a minute.

If any of the two issues happened, the controller will stop the motor, flash a red light AND sound an alarm letting you know that there is something wrong. It does that so the unit does not waste an entire fleece roll in a matter of hours.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not sure how but when I last changed my roll, somehow it spun through the whole thing overnight. I guess having that much new material go through my tank, it caused my skimmer to fill up a few times before I realized what happened. I think something wasn't right with the optical sensor. I'm planning to drill a hole and mount it in the klir shelf bracket I'm using.

I tried to rewind the spool as it was perfectly clean but it ended up not being exact enough and it was way too tight in the frame. So I grabbed another roll and it's been great now for about 2 weeks and is looking like it will last a while. The snagging issue is completely gone I have to say. Skipping that roller made a world of difference.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you believe it snagged again. I pulled it again and checked it over, everything was fine if i gave some slack. The mounts where the airtubes go had nothing to do with it whatsoever. I could see nothing there at all that could cause it. So, I decided I was going to rethread it and skip that roller that puts it in a 90 degree bend.

So much smoother. For the record I cut the fleece, rethreaded it and stapled it back together again and ran it until the staples were back in the used spool. The first roller will make sure this angle is maintained. Here’s what it looks like now.

Maybe it’s just that my motor is almost shot after all the issues its been having.

3e1b685bcdd3b7c85dffeec6ab0b438e.jpg

My fleece roll is no longer snagging after the new revised bottom rollers but I see much more complete tears of the roll from what I believe are baby snails that get caught up in the frame.
I tried leaving the 2nd 90 degree roller off and it definitely has much less drag, you can tell when trying to rethread a wet fleece roll but.................
what I immediately notice is that the fleece is no longer taunt against the frame and by day 2, you have unfiltered water running down in front of the threaded fleece.
Good idea but IMO, not a fix. They just need to raise that 2nd roller about 1/2" from where it is seated and that might keep the fleece just taunt enough from water escaping it's intended path while correcting the 90 degree path.

PatReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my controller is faulty. Very good service at Coralvue, I received a return to my service request(email) within one hour! They must send me a new one.

For your information, here is what the LEDs on the controller represent:
- Solid Red = Controller is powered up
- Solid Blue = Motor is powered up but idle
- Flashing Blue = Motor is engaged and advancing fleece
- Flashing red with audible alarm = means that one of the following things happened:
1) The motor ran constantly for more than 1 minute
2) The motor ran constantly 3 independent times within a minute.

If any of the two issues happened, the controller will stop the motor, flash a red light AND sound an alarm letting you know that there is something wrong. It does that so the unit does not waste an entire fleece roll in a matter of hours.
Update
I received the new controller, finally. My Klir DI-7 has been running since Friday night and no problem to report. The fleece goes through the original path without bypass. I followed the previous advice and rounded some edges.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back