Anyone dose hydrogen peroxide daily?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a lot, Jon! How many gallons?

@Jon Fishman
150 total or so. Zoas close up for a few hours usually, and other softies shrink back a bit but not much. Everything bounces right back in the rocks are clean by the next day.

I leave the skimmer on, but I pull the drain plug so it just runs into the sump rather than overflow out of the top though.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do with an Oxydator. It’s a great way get the benefits of H202 plus pure O2 via steady time release, and does not require dosing or electricity....
For anybody interested in Oxydators how they work and their benefits, I have a Facebook group dedicated to them called Oxydator user group.
s-chting-oxydator-w-noiseless-aquarium-alternative-air-pump-shrimpoly-1807-01-shrimpoly@2.jpg

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pros / cons?
The suspected pros can come at a cost if the dosing is not approached with caution. The one major pro is for spirulina. It will be effect on this but be prepared for nutrient export. Many describe the success the have had with h2o2 but in many cases it will either be nearly ineffective at the smaller doses or will have limited short term effects that will work as a bandage fix for underlying problem. If higher dosages are maintained long term, it may lead to negative effects in your bio processes. Small, consistent maintenance doses may have some limited upsides but I have yet to really see the value.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some issues lately with green slime algae and another nuisance cyanobacteria (not slime, but the fibrous kind, mostly in the sand bed). Have started to dose vibrant weekly but adding h2o2 may be in my near future. Worth a shot.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey vetteguy...any bad effects using 3ml of H2O2 on ZOAS/PALYS?

seems like zoas/palys use algae to generate zooxanthellae in their tissue

So wondering if H2O2 discolors them, stunts growth... closes up polyps? Are they P'ed off?
I have a rock that manages to grow various types of macros on it from time to time. Luckily its free standing, and has only zoas on it. Occasionally I take it out of the tank and pour 3% peroxide all over it. The only negatives I see are that various pods and worms on the rock do not respond well to it. Then a quick rinse in some tank water and back in it goes. Zoas stay closed the remainder of the day usually and are open just fine by the next day. I also tend to pour some over any new zoa frag I get that has some algae on the plug.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock that manages to grow various types of macros on it from time to time. Luckily its free standing, and has only zoas on it. Occasionally I take it out of the tank and pour 3% peroxide all over it. The only negatives I see are that various pods and worms on the rock do not respond well to it. Then a quick rinse in some tank water and back in it goes. Zoas stay closed the remainder of the day usually and are open just fine by the next day. I also tend to pour some over any new zoa frag I get that has some algae on the plug.

I'm going to give this a shot some day!

Going to see if I have any 3% in the house now and start my dosing today. Assuming night time is the best time as the algae will be respiring and therefore more vulnerable.

OP
OP
T

Tyler Miceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some issues lately with green slime algae and another nuisance cyanobacteria (not slime, but the fibrous kind, mostly in the sand bed). Have started to dose vibrant weekly but adding h2o2 may be in my near future. Worth a shot.
I have come across green slime algea as well recently. Tanks about 2 years old, never had it before. Blows right of rocks, but not too sure what could be causing it

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed Hydrogen peroxide( 2x per 24 hours) for 15 days straight at night. 1 ml per 10gallons and it completely eradicated a bad dinoflagellate outbreak I had . No bad side effects and I would do it again. I don’t see why a maintenance dose would be a bad thing. I stopped because the dinoflagellates were gone. Oh and I’d also note I cut back my light schedule to 5 hours per day during the treatment.

OP
OP
T

Tyler Miceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed Hydrogen peroxide( 2x per 24 hours) for 15 days straight at night. 1 ml per 10gallons and it completely eradicated a bad dinoflagellate outbreak I had . No bad side effects and I would do it again. I don’t see why a maintenance dose would be a bad thing. I stopped because the dinoflagellates were gone. Oh and I’d also note I cut back my light schedule to 5 hours per day during the treatment.
How many hours do you normally run lights?

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use an oxydator. I use a W model, 2 catalyst with 12% h202. I’ve used this method for about two years now. on occasion when I get algae in my frag tanks (3 frag tanks and DT all plumbed together), I turn off the power heads and apply directly to the algae. I use 3% for this, never more the. 1ml per 10g. I use a 1ml pipette to apply. It kills the algae and hermits make short work of it. I’ve used this to combat GHA and Bryopsis with success.

Good luck, and happy reefing!

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 tank system all plumbed together. I am noticing a little algae starting to grow in the frag tank of the system. I can isolate the plumbing and add 4ml of peroxide to the tank (40 gallon) and let it run in the tank for a couple hours and then open the valve and just release the water into the other tanks? would this help or do I need a longer "soak" time?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back