13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow, that's 0.004 ml/gallon!
about right- as a preventative but also bear in mind I have a lot of coral and maybe 500 useable gallons

John_A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing for hair algea although my water was very clear I seen no side affects to it other then it did drop my Ph down but the 1ml per 10 Gal is safe I also add mine through the air intake of the skimmer

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it to dip rock/plugs with algae. 2 mins max dip with zoas and trachy’s and perfectly clean in 48hrs. I’ve heard it works with acans also but haven’t tried it.
Works with Acans as well... I've done it.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip at 70/30 saltwater and 3% FOR 5 mins. Have also dosed it to hep clear up algae outbreaks but have never continuously dosed it. Used in combination with Vibrant did a huge job of clearing Dinos, Cyano, bubble, hair, etc.. also cleared out the gravel. did a water change and sucked nothing out of it.. I dose 1 ml per 10 gals weekly a couple days after the vibrant currently.

Last edited:

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it briefly in an attempt to beat back a velvet outbreak in my DT. Dosing at dino levels with the skimmer off pisssed off my nem, but the tank was super clean and everything was much more lively than usual. Inverts especially. Given the benefits, I plan on adding a doser and doing a small dose, maybe just one or two ml per day in my 40B. I will probably put the dosing output tube in front of the skimmer pump intake or in my filter roller. I don't want the peroxide, rather the elevated o2 that the tank inhabitants appear to really enjoy so I'd want the peroxide to break down faster than what you would want to fight back parasites. Especially considering coral zooxanthellae is a dinoflagellate.

OP
OP
T

Tyler Miceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip at 50/50 saltwater and 3% FOR 5 mins. Have also dosed it to hep clear up algae outbreaks but have never continuously dosed it. Used in combination with Vibrant did a huge job of clearing Dinos, Cyano, bubble, hair, etc.. also cleared out the gravel. did a water change and sucked nothing out of it.. I dose 1 ml per 10 gals weekly a couple days after the vibrant currently.
I was thinking about getting vibrant. Its just a tough choice because you hear so many positive things for some and not others. I try to keep things simple and not dose a lot

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip at 50/50 saltwater and 3% FOR 5 mins. Have also dosed it to hep clear up algae outbreaks but have never continuously dosed it. Used in combination with Vibrant did a huge job of clearing Dinos, Cyano, bubble, hair, etc.. also cleared out the gravel. did a water change and sucked nothing out of it.. I dose 1 ml per 10 gals weekly a couple days after the vibrant currently.
So like a cup of tankwater and a cup of peroxide?

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty straightforward answer , Yes everyday , for years imho it has alot of benefits to it. I dose one capfull of 3% every night , on a 175 gallon system ( 3 common plumbed tanks 1 sump).

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting vibrant. Its just a tough choice because you hear so many positive things for some and not others. I try to keep things simple and not dose a lot

I have used it in 2 tanks, the other tank was the original I bought off someone and it was a beautiful velvet green everywhere. It has taken it down like 90%. Taken about 4 months but is working.., However, I am getting some pink hair and occasional cyano due to the die off. Higher nutrient level and cant keep up with it with just water changes. So, I have a HOB filter I am running carbon in.. and a little GFO. Also put a Marineland Magnum with the pleated micron filter and stir things up every other day.. basically no sand in it.., or close to it.. It has been a year long struggle but with the Vibrant, it is finally going away.. I have also dosed 1 ml H2O2 per 10 gallons for 3 consecutive days, then wait a week and do it again.. I wait 2 weeks and repeat that cycle.., been doing it like that with weekly Vibrant and since I started doing it.., blah blah. about 3 months...

Lemme try this like this..
Last 3 months... 75 gallon tank .. no skimmer

Every Sunday - 1ml vibrant per 10 gallons
Tuesday -- 1ml per gallon H2O2
Wed -- 1ml per gallon H2O2
Thurday -- 0.5 ml per gallon H2O2.
Repeat the next sunday thru thursday.

Then wait 2 weeks... (3rd sunday and repeat the above.. still dosing the vibrant on sunday in between.
Stirring detritus for the magnum Sunday Wed, Friday.
Animals in the tank will shrivel for about half an hour after a dose of H2O2. include Sinularia, Palys, Cyphastria and Platygya. this is a visible thing., Fish unaffected.

After 3 months I am no longer using the H2O2. Am in wait and see mode.

Sorry no before pics.. lemme see if I have a decent after one.

1578814022324.png

OK, notice the back wall. Most of what you see came after the sheets of hair algae came off. You can still see some hair at the base of the Sinularia. The rocks in the front used to be coated but are now clear. The rock on back left is new in the last month so doesnt count. Checking to see if it builds new algae. Coraline algae is coming in nicely..

My goal is to get all the rocks algae free so they can be used elsewhere.. particularly hoping to get a 120 fatboy to replace this.. I dont want to have to spend a ton of money on rocks and the like for a new build and hoping to speed the cycle when that happens.. then this tank wil go to the garage or passed on to someone who likes a really ugly scratched up 40 yo tank.

Last edited:

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand what the long term benefits of dosing hydrogen peroxide are. Have you guys seen more than just algae control?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty straightforward answer , Yes everyday , for years imho it has alot of benefits to it. I dose one capfull of 3% every night , on a 175 gallon system ( 3 common plumbed tanks 1 sump).

Could you describe the benefits you have seen?

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand what the long term benefits of dosing hydrogen peroxide are. Have you guys seen more than just algae control?
It can help feed bacteria (oxygen using types) that feed on detritus as well as break detritus down to a degree itself. H2O2 is a fairly reactive chemical. gets used up pretty quickly. It can be used as an antiseptic as well.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing again to treat a massive GHA/Dinos/Cyano situation . Last year it was effective in helping suppress it to minimal levels but since I could not eradicate it, the problem crept back.

This time I will eventually dial back to maintain levels, possibly using my ATO, but I don't know if it will stay in solution in a kalk top off solution.

fwiw, my zoas and my kenya tree know right away when I dose as they close up for about 1/2 hour immediately after dosing. However, they have excelled during both dosing sessions. I think the reduction in dino/cyano in suspension is benefiting them, but that's just a guess on ny part.

I have noticed a lack of pods, which has me cautioned as I have a mandarin, but so far the mandarin is doing great (it feasts on the frozen msysis/brine/ROE I feed). I will reintroduce pods when I go to maintenance dosing.

I have lost a number of corals, but cannot attribute that to H2O2 since I suspect that the DINOs had smothered my corals and combined with radical scrubbing/cleaning it was just too much for them.

In any case, I have not seen any negative effects from my current (2 weeks now) dosing regime.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back