Anyone dose hydrogen peroxide daily?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a lot of discussion, threads, and conflicting info on H202 dosing over the years. I wonder if @Randy Holmes-Farley or @brandon429 would be willing to give their opinion with the most current info or data they have collected.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important takeaway possible for all humanity regarding peroxide use in the aquarium was how brazenly wrong and far off the mark TMZ and Disc-1 from reefcentral were in regulating their posters feedback of dosing with a massive heavy handed stick about eight years ago when the practice was really taking off from the back alleys of reefing. The claims about it wiping out filtration systems, wrong.

The claims about total takedown of microorganism balances in dosed systems, hows that’s looking in eight years hindsight and about two million doses going on, gentleman?

The claims about metals being liberated, and some form of consequence following TMZ, hows that panning out in just this thread alone gents? ICP posts show everyone’s metals are whacked in balance anyway

Are metals wrecking people’s tanks in the years and years and years of dosing we still have upcoming for the hobby? Despite your pushback, we made peroxide a permanent reefing tool and I want to email you both a huge heh so you can print it out and keep it on the wall of reminders about forum management and regulating free thinkers. Bad management causes mass exodus apparently

You couldn’t keep results driven science from blooming, TMZ and Disc-1, my personal gift to you in the matter would be the ability for self-reflection about claims made now that we literally have two million tank doses of the stuff in forums that permit new techniques to be reviewed. Be amazed at what freedom in a forum can produce.

I could not possibly be happier than to watch a hobby migrate to a forum where science experimentation is allowed and welcomed. Let the dosing commence :)

It would be ideal for them to join up a discussion here.

The specific reason I want them here for participation is they’re both scientists who claimed to measure on a lab slide total destruction in a reef from peroxide dosing. We want to now compare lab slide work with reef tank outcomes after just shy of a decade of nearly everyone trying it.

BrianD would also be a welcomed commenter. He loves peroxide I hear

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that rant / off my own personal take is I wouldn’t dose it daily, I’ve seen targets build up resistance to it in my own system where it took 35% to really do any good after years of 3% trial. My own take is that keeping a system free or low in detritus and waste catchpoints better regulates target expression like green glass haze or GHA anchored into rocks and peroxide is still my favorite go-to when a noncompliant rock is lifted out, attacked with a rasping knife, and then peroxide is put on the formerly invaded spot which had already been rasped algae-free with a knife tip. It’s a powerful cellular burner for leftover targets / small mass targets

Tank dosing to the water is so 2016 lol but as we can see it’s not a big deal, experiment anyway y’all like and pretty much everything we keep except for lysmata shrimp will tolerate

From your collective posts patterns will emerge that shape certain aspects of the hobby.

GtiKyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would chaetomorpha and other macroalgaes be affected by this? Also, wouldn’t peroxide oxidate other organic compounds found in coral slime, zooxanthellae, and coral tissue itself?

Wanting to know the same information. Been dosing vibrant for a few weeks now, and it's caused a cyano outbreak, and more GHA (but killed off my bubble). I recently started back up with Chaeto to offset the nutrient issues, but can't seem to beat back the new algaes. Willing to give H2O2 a try, but will my Chaeto be OK?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The highest degree of cyano curing one can locate in work threads comes from cleaning detritus out of the system, no doser beats our fix rate from simple disassembly cleaning if your tank isn't huge like 300 gallons

Remove chaeto during dosing if you would rather try peroxide is my advice

Peroxide has a low degree of sustained effect on cyano, as it topically kills cyano, then that mass contributes to detritus that already spurned the first cyano bloom, and in a month it's back twofold. Only cleaning removes detritus/cyano feed. This is why the hobby is shifting away from sandbeds full of waste

Last edited:

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it to dip rock/plugs with algae. 2 mins max dip with zoas and trachy’s and perfectly clean in 48hrs. I’ve heard it works with acans also but haven’t tried it.

Wait, is this stuff basically like a dip? Any cons to using it?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait, is this stuff basically like a dip? Any cons to using it?
I have with select corals to remove nuisance algae. I’ve done it with zoas and trachy’s. Someone else posted using it for Acans.
Not sure if it treats for other things, but it kills any pods or bristle worms fairly quickly.

no cons I have seen as long as it’s not left too long

OP
OP
T

Tyler Miceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The highest degree of cyano curing one can locate in work threads comes from cleaning detritus out of the system, no doser beats our fix rate from simple disassembly cleaning if your tank isn't huge like 300 gallons

Remove chaeto during dosing if you would rather try peroxide is my advice

Peroxide has a low degree of sustained effect on cyano, as it topically kills cyano, then that mass contributes to detritus that already spurned the first cyano bloom, and in a month it's back twofold. Only cleaning removes detritus/cyano feed. This is why the hobby is shifting away from sandbeds full of waste
Thanks for all the input! I will forever refer to you as the rip sandman! Haha always appreciate your insight!

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have with select corals to remove nuisance algae. I’ve done it with zoas and trachy’s. Someone else posted using it for Acans.
Not sure if it treats for other things, but it kills any pods or bristle worms fairly quickly.

no cons I have seen as long as it’s not left too long

No cons to dosing in the tank? I wasnt sure if there's residual build up that would be bad for the water parameters where you'd need to do a water change or an extra one.
Thanks

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one mil per ten gallons works in thread pattern to be safe for nearly everything except lysmata, or corals that are already in recession like stn or something/peroxide tests things a little bit but not extraordinarily or we'd have more loss posts. it may or may not work on target; what the patterns show is that its not a big deal to try and use.

GtiKyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one mil per ten gallons works in thread pattern to be safe for nearly everything except lysmata, or corals that are already in recession like stn or something/peroxide tests things a little bit but not extraordinarily or we'd have more loss posts. it may or may not work on target; what the patterns show is that its not a big deal to try and use.

So you're saying DON'T do this treatment if you have shrimp (Lysmata)? I've got a few peppermint shrimp in my tank...

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would give peps a 50/50 chance of dying in the 1:10 dose or higher, and lysmata about 95%
we get around this ld50 max in our work threads by disassembly cleaning, where peroxide is droppered on target, outside of water, and doesnt touch nontargets. while disassembled, the cloudy detritus feeding each invasion is removed. do complete or be doomed for quicker repeat, lol

if someone is adding it to water to try and fight dinos, thats legit. Troylee has one of the oldest running peroxide threads on that concept. a nice reference for patterns in tank dosing

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No cons to dosing in the tank? I wasnt sure if there's residual build up that would be bad for the water parameters where you'd need to do a water change or an extra one.
Thanks
Hold up, I was talking about dip, not dosing. The question was about using it for a dip.

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an additional question to all this. I just started running a macro algae reactor to my system. If I dose H202, would it have a negative effect on my chaeto and other forms of algae inside the reactor?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem here is peroxide is that it reacts to the water fast then it’s over. Dosing would have to be a lot and often. I have used it to kill algae but this was spot dosing with a syringe.

Back