Anyone else having problems?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to here. I had some issues with my WaveEngine and Carlos took care of it after doing some diagnostics. Got the new one and have it set up on my new 75G system. This thing is incredible!!! I'm running 2 RO Octopulse wavepumps and a Varios 4 return pump--all without their controllers and power bricks--which would have been almost enough in and of itself. What the the Hydros allows you to do is almost endless with schedules, power, etc. Coralvue has been awesome to deal with...

I hope you will update us with your feelings about the Hydros after you get the new one installed. If you have any questions setting up your pumps, I'd be glad to help in whatever way I can. You can PM me or visit my build thread. I'm almost at the point where I go into my setup and running of the Hydros on my build page. I've been running the Hydros for about a month and am now just getting to detailing everything about it in my build thread. GL

We've noticed your advocacy and have appreciated every kind word and endorsement! It was a bit of a rocky start (like @JohnGP's experience with the old firmware), but I promise you: the best is yet to come! Carlos actually spoke about those early connection issues on the livestream with @ReefNewsNetwork last week:

Hopefully, that'll be a distant memory after the last one of the initial run has sold out from stores.

I'm not sure how long you watched the video, but Carlos teased significant updates to the app that will be rolling out to HYDROS users soon. He had permission to demonstrate all of the changes on the stream, but he was wise enough to recognize we shouldn't be giving others in the category time to react.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice. Having brown acro, plus some blasto not filling out and I know it's from high phosphate, nitrate, and possibly CA being a little high. But wondering how to fix. I will include all parameters below. But I am running GFO and Carbon in a reactor already, its on a slow steady stream from the reactor. My tank is currently on its 65th day of running fallow after an ich out break and my coral have been doing excellent until last day or so. Its a 120 gallon system including sump and I do weekly water changes of 25 gallons(I vacuum sand everytime). I've been feeding reef roids 2 times a week and mysis 1 time a week to the coral. My question is how do I get my phosephate and Nitrate down? Also my CALCIUM is a little high as well and I'd like to bring that down. I do not dose anything as of yet. Any help would be awesome!! With high readings how do I dose are my thoughts.

The ** is the numbers id like to fix
Using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
Salinity - 1.026
Temp - steady 78.2
Phosephate - .49**
Calcium - 546**
DKH - 11.3
Ph - 8.0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 26**

There is some great stuff by Richard Ross on Phosphate I highly recommend.

One day of testing doesn't tell us a whole lot. A Los Angeles winter might average 60°F, but that doesn't mean there won't be days in the 80s.

So using our weather analogy, let's see the 7-day forecast (or 10 or 14). Test every day for a week and not do anything outside your normal routine. Let's see what those numbers are doing.

I think you should buy at least two ICP tests. Send one on the first day of your 7 days of testing and one on your last day. This will give you a bigger picture view of the elemental soup that is saltwater and can help corroborate your home test results. Just as important is testing your source water. Use that second vial to send in your RO/DI water so we can see what's happening there.

You said your corals were doing excellent until 1-2 days ago. It sounds like you have no fish. If your corals aren't fading fast, I say put on your lab coat, crank this up, and get busy.

Questions circulating in my mind:
  • How old is your system?
  • How long did you cycle the tank?
  • What's your biological filtration like?
  • What mechanical filtration do you use and how often do you change it?
  • How stocked is it with corals?
  • How often are you replacing media? How do you decide when to change it?
  • Are you using 0 TDS source water?
  • What test kits are you using? Are they expired?
  • Were you dosing before but aren't now, or you never were?
  • Have you considered using salt that doesn't have elevated levels of the foundation elements?
  • Have you tried not feeding those coral foods and seeing what the results are?
In terms of nutrient control, natural filtration is going to be the most affordable long-term solution. Algae scrubbers, in particular, have been a gamechanger for many hobbyists I know. You can find research to substantiate the merits of scrubbers (ahem, Mother Nature), but I always supplement my aquariums with bacteria in a bottle/vial as well.

Icey716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so.much for ur reply. I have not done anything drastic as far as changing anything. But to answer ur questions.
1. Tank is 7 months old
2. Tank was cycled for 6 weeks and used stability to speed this up, also bought live rock out of a friends 20 year 700 gallon set up that was well seeded.
3. I use bio balls spread through sump. Also have 2 media cups to replace socks that I stuff with filter fiber.
4. I have a octo 150 skimmer that is cleaned monthly, cup changed every few days. Also have the dual brs reactor running GFO and carbon at a slow steady trickle.
5. I will include photos for stocked question but I would say stock load is low to medium maybe 35 to 40 different corals most frag size with 3 to 4 colonies as of now. And yes no fish.
6. Newer to hobby so been changing carbon once a month and GFO once every 2 months. Was told this is good to go off of but please correct if I'm wrong.
7. Yes I'm using 0 TDS water. I run a 4 stage spectrapure RODI unit in which I just changed filters over the past week. (I did run 5 gallons through new filters before collecting water change water, but am wondering if I didn't run it enough and this could have possibly added some nutrients in some way)
8. Test kits are less then 6 months old as I'm newer to hobby. I use the Hanna checker bundle for DKH, CA, Phosephate, and salinity/temp. Then API test kit is how im getting Nitrate, Nitrite, and PH numbers.
9. Have everything to dose but have never started. 0 dosing has been done.
10. Never considered using a different salt. Should I, and is it OK to quickly shift salt brands?
11. I have not tried not feeding at all. I have been extremely careful to not overfeed but if you guys who have way more experience at this and I consider u pros suggest it then I will.

So what I'm gathering from ur response is to not do something to throw it out of wack but be patient and try lab testing, is this correct?

Also thank u so much for the video. It was shocking to hear he runs a 1.8 phosephate level. Makes me feel like maybe I'm overreacting about this. I do know having a rather young tank it is crazy/stupid to try and keep acro. However I got a deal on a few pieces and decided to try it and they took well but just over 2 to 3 days have started to brown and have already like growing on their tips along with whitening out under that brown algea like substance.

Sry the pic I have isn't great seeing how im not at home this second I can not take a new pic but I will when I get home and can repost to this thread.

Again I'd like to thank u for all knowledge ur giving me and questions ur answering here! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

20200314_143914.jpg

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, JohnGP. I understand your frustration. You worked hard all week to plumb and wire the tank. With anticipation building for days, I can only imagine what a letdown it was not to be able to finish the job and fine-tune your flow over the weekend.

I actually followed up with Carlos about your case three hours ago. I had read your other posts and felt compelled to respond, but I resisted. At the time, I didn't think there was anything I could have said that would have provided comfort.

Now that the heat of the moment has passed, I wanted to explain the "try this or try that" methodology. I know it sounds like we're throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks. But it's a diagnostic procedure we run through to identify symptoms or signs that clue us in to what's going on. Like a mechanic. Or a doctor!

Related tangent time: I actually lost my faith in doctors at a point in my life after witnessing many medical misdiagnoses. I remember having thoughts like, "They don't even know what's wrong! It's all just trial and error." And, well... it kind of is. I'm a bit older and a bit wiser now. I realize they are only human and doing the best they can.

Anyway, Carlos said old firmware was indeed the culprit. He didn't want to ask you to spend any more time troubleshooting so he is overnighting you a new one (although privately he told me he was sure he could fix it!). But I liked what he said next: He said he wanted you to have the experience you should have had the first time. That way, you may change your mind about the WaveEngine and HYDROS.

I liked that! I am happy with his approach. I am even happier you posted this update! I am eager to hear how it goes with the new unit.

Hi @Jeff@CoralVue,
Well I received the new one today, couldn't wait to get home and install it to finally get my tank running as it should. Got it installed, fired it up and.....exact same thing as the first one! :mad: I've tried everything just as with the last one, even the magnet, nothing works. It's breathing blue(like the first one) but Carlos says it shouldn't be as that's the old firmware. I'm getting extremely frustrated as this is dragging on and on and my tank is sitting here stalled. I cannot believe I got two different units both with old firmware and neither one works. I'm sitting here right now waiting for Carlos to respond as the weekend approaches, I'm guessing I won't have a working unit this week either.

Last edited:

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to here. I had some issues with my WaveEngine and Carlos took care of it after doing some diagnostics. Got the new one and have it set up on my new 75G system. This thing is incredible!!! I'm running 2 RO Octopulse wavepumps and a Varios 4 return pump--all without their controllers and power bricks--which would have been almost enough in and of itself. What the the Hydros allows you to do is almost endless with schedules, power, etc. Coralvue has been awesome to deal with...

I hope you will update us with your feelings about the Hydros after you get the new one installed. If you have any questions setting up your pumps, I'd be glad to help in whatever way I can. You can PM me or visit my build thread. I'm almost at the point where I go into my setup and running of the Hydros on my build page. I've been running the Hydros for about a month and am now just getting to detailing everything about it in my build thread. GL
S.Pepper,

Thanks for the kind words, it's great they got yours working but I'm still in the same boat. They sent me a replacement and it too won't work. Ugg, I'm pulling my hair out here. I made a HUGE mistake designing my build around this unit because now I'm stuck without it, going to take some work/redesign if I have to go in a different direction(without the Wave Engine).

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure went Sonar Quiet here....Anyway; Finally got it working correctly. Carlos logged into my account and worked some magic and the Hydros WE is working as it should now! Huge relief as if it didn't I was in for some work trying to rearrange the tank to run without the WE. So glad I'm up and running, thank you Carlos.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure went Sonar Quiet here....Anyway; Finally got it working correctly. Carlos logged into my account and worked some magic and the Hydros WE is working as it should now! Huge relief as if it didn't I was in for some work trying to rearrange the tank to run without the WE. So glad I'm up and running, thank you Carlos.

Glad u got it working. Wait until you figure out how to manipulate the system. It's really incredible. I hope u have watched all of the videos Carlos made... it will make life much simpler. I currently have 1 group to control my return pump--not much else to do when you have that set up other than connecting it to a water change or feed mode...

My wave pumps have a day mode, night mode for the intensity and what wave mode i want-- I turn down the intensity at night. I also have a hurricane mode that pushes the intensity of the wave pumps to 100% for 3 minutes at the top of the hour each hour from 8am-10pm. I have also thrown in a random reverse on my wave pumps during the day.

Update us when you have everything working.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to figure out how to set it up and make changes but I'm learning. I'd like to set up a day and night program, hopefully I can figure that out soon. I have watched the videos(Didn't realize that was Carlos in them!) and they're helpful for sure. It's a really neat product and I'm glad they got me going though I think I irritated them. I'm looking forward to their new controller that's soon to be released. I'll update once I get the hang of it a little better.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. Keep at it. It was a little confusing at first (I'm not a tech guy)... even after the videos. But all of the sudden it hit me. First you need to make a preset, then the trigger, and then the pump. That's the simple version, but it's the sequence. Once you have your pumps assigned to a group, you can set everything else up. GL

Literally watch the video and do each step that Carlos portrays and in that order and you will be fine. Carlos has done one of the best instructional videos on a new piece of equipment that i've ever seen.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set up a Day/Night mode similar to what you mentioned, I've set up a Preset, a trigger and then I tell it what I want each pump to do correct? How do I set up the start/end time? I set my day to begin at 0800 and night to begin at 2100, will it just go from there once I click save?

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set up a Day/Night mode similar to what you mentioned, I've set up a Preset, a trigger and then I tell it what I want each pump to do correct? How do I set up the start/end time? I set my day to begin at 0800 and night to begin at 2100, will it just go from there once I click save?

Yes, for the day and night. If you only have a day time start of 0800 and the Hydros has no other trigger, it will continue to run at the "day" settings. Once the Hydros has another trigger, it will run at that setting until another trigger is takes over. I

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you. I've set a day trigger and start time of 0800 and night time of 2100. I just checked a little while ago and mine was still running the night program so switched it to day and it's showing a count down under "Timeout" starting at what looks like 8 hours. I'm doing something wrong here. I'll go watch the videos Carlos made again. Thanks for the help S.Pepper!

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carlos fixed me up(again). I was making a Day Mode and Night Mode, not supposed to do that and it was causing problems. Thanks everyone for your help!

kjbrooks71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carlos fixed me up(again). I was making a Day Mode and Night Mode, not supposed to do that and it was causing problems. Thanks everyone for your help!
John, I have been fighting with my WE since I got it a few weeks ago, Carlos also has helped me tremedously. I have set mine up a few times then it loses its mind, mine has been unplugged for a week or so to try to reset it. It turned on yesterday and I emailed Carlos to look at it, instead of trying to figure it out again and have it lock up.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been working great so far but I do keep an eye on it as I'm still unsure of it yet. I hope mine doesn't start "losing it's mind", I worry about that because these darn Octo Pulse 4's are much more powerful than I realized, I'm currently running them at about 35% or so and if they cranked up to 100% I'd have sand blown every where. Hopefully Carlos gets you fixed up ASAP. I'd ask for an exchange if they can't get yours running reliably soon.

whitesand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump 2 is red!!!! And its chirping like a bird, wont connect. Even had internet split two channels 2.4 and 5.0. Stillnothing. So aggrivsted right now. Th iui s is

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump 2 is red!!!! And its chirping like a bird, wont connect. Even had internet split two channels 2.4 and 5.0. Stillnothing. So aggrivsted right now. Th iui s is
Did you program which pump is on #2? I think if the controller is looking for a 2k and finds a 4k it aint happy and vice versa

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back