Anyone else tired of oversaturated, photoshopped to death, photos of corals?

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rather head out to the lfs - or wait until there is a frag swap. I will continue to buy online, but with caution.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rather head out to the lfs - or wait until there is a frag swap. I will continue to buy online, but with caution.
If the vendors continue to do photo touching they will end up hurting them selfs, for me also personally is the LFS and the ones that post realistic ugly photos.

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point but like Travis stated earlier you can always ask the vendor for a daylight pic or untouched pic

There is one particular vendor that refuses to send a daylight pic so I just stopped buying from them. They probably have lost almost 1k of cash from me by now.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one particular vendor that refuses to send a daylight pic so I just stopped buying from them. They probably have lost almost 1k of cash from me by now.
I'd bet I know who but I don't wanna say cause I'm sure my post would get deleted

Edds Coral Cave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am a massive hater of all people who photoshop their zoas for sale!

i am fairly proficient with photoshop, and use it on a daily basis, below is an example of what anyone with even the most basic skills can do to a photo.
I only spent 5 minutes doing this, its just to illustrate the point, not to by any means say i use this method ever!

Original
602280_10151888446365265_779826056_n.jpg

Photoshopped
396859_10151888446510265_239430382_n.jpg

You can clearly see this has been edited, but if more time was spent then it can be very difficult to tell them apart.

Like someone said waaaay up there ^^^^^, some people do have VERY bright blue lighting, this along with not adjusting white balance correctly (or fairly) can lead to the images looking nothing like they would in your system.

Another example is this...
This first image was taken on my fuji finepix camera under blue lights BEFORE adjusting white balance
525708_10151480998820265_2107622221_n.jpg

and this is AFTER adjusting white balance on camera to adjust to the blue lighting on a white piece of paper.
523986_10151563192185265_1720981030_n.jpg

The second picture is actually how they look to the naked eye, but in pictures it never shows that way unless you adjust white balance.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am a massive hater of all people who photoshop their zoas for sale!

i am fairly proficient with photoshop, and use it on a daily basis, below is an example of what anyone with even the most basic skills can do to a photo.
I only spent 5 minutes doing this, its just to illustrate the point, not to by any means say i use this method ever!

Original
602280_10151888446365265_779826056_n.jpg

Photoshopped
396859_10151888446510265_239430382_n.jpg

You can clearly see this has been edited, but if more time was spent then it can be very difficult to tell them apart.

Like someone said waaaay up there ^^^^^, some people do have VERY bright blue lighting, this along with not adjusting white balance correctly (or fairly) can lead to the images looking nothing like they would in your system.

Another example is this...
This first image was taken on my fuji finepix camera under blue lights BEFORE adjusting white balance
525708_10151480998820265_2107622221_n.jpg

and this is AFTER adjusting white balance on camera to adjust to the blue lighting on a white piece of paper.
523986_10151563192185265_1720981030_n.jpg

The second picture is actually how they look to the naked eye, but in pictures it never shows that way unless you adjust white balance.
Some good examples

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate it when people do that to the extent of changing what the coral really looks like ,like the fat commercials that show someone eats this special jelly bean and bamm the persons befor and after shots show one the guy is 260lbs and after 125 and buff you can see where they applied the removal tool lol..also when someone post a pic of their coral and people say how awesome it looks and the person with the coral goes thanks without saying it has been photoshopped..for white balance and to show how the coral really looks without the blue tint is fine (photo shop )..oh well you had to get me going..lol

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really glad I read the OP and some posts after it...I was oblivious to this and it makes complete sense. Like airbrushing models before photo shoots. They want to sell, you want your corals to look cool, glad I have not bought anything online....yet.

OP
OP
R

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@edds coral cave
Very nice pic, but sadly I still cannot tell if it's real or fake. Looks real to me but I've been fooled before.

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say but here is the thing about macro shots. In many cases they are going to show you what you will never see just by looking in your tank. I have a great many coral in my tank that when viewed through a macro lens look way more amazing then when I look at them with just my eyes. They also can play tricks with how big the piece you will be getting is. You see that super sweet chalice with the 5 different colors on it for $500 and when you get it you see it is the size of a pin head.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres one for you.

a macro shot of some zoas.

real or fake?

[snip]

you decide :)

Caveat emptor is the rule when buying anything sight unseen (which is everything we buy online, but especially live critters where the "nuances of the product" are all-important) because it is impossible to tell on our side of the lens.

Impossible

Coral "could" look like that so the picture is plausible - that's all we can say.

If you need to be sure (YMMV) you need to buy in person, and even then sometimes there're no assurances - there's really no way around this. (It's Schrodinger's Cat redux 2012. Sorry...I'm a Phil. minor.)

-Matt

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't tell those pics by Edds coral cave weren't the real thing all the "tells" that I thought I should look for aren't there well not for me at least
by the way I have a fugifilm finepix S5100 and haven't been able to get any shots like those

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have to give some responsibility to the buyer also, and some credit back to the vendors in order to be fair, here is why. The farmer puts the best tomato's or strawberry's on top of the basket :) the used car salesman puts thick oil in the engine so you dot hear the clonk :) construction estimators like myself, present our companies always A+. The reality is everyone that sells something always try to present it better than it actually is, thats their job ! , Realistate brokers, insurance salesman, bankers etc. Now the question is ?? Photoshoping to death is it a good selling technique ? My advice as a salesman also, NO. Some phtoshoping yes too much will ruin your integrity and people will not pay attention anymore to your site.

+1 on this. Everyone who is trying to sell something uses advertising to get it done, and a lot of that advertising which we take in is going to be false or misleading.

If you receive inferior product from a vendor I have no ideas as to why you would not 1) let the vendor know right away 2) ever shop with that vendor again?

Personally I think a lot of the e-vendors these days are really decent/fair people who also are reefkeepers...its a far cry than say even just 10 years ago.

The vendors that lie or don't care about the REEFS they sell or the REEFERS they sell it to...well those vendors will fail in this business IMO. Miserably.

Sidenote: Personally I would love to read the whole thread, bad/disgusting comments and all. But understand why posts would need to be deleted. Thanks to the mods for keeping this place running.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres one for you.

a macro shot of some zoas.

real or fake?

529213_10151913750425265_2135905335_n.jpg

you decide :)

At first I thought real...now I am thinking fake....

But really I'm thinking...I need a better camera.

Either way, that pic is cool!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back