Anyone ever dosed phyto?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever put live phyto on a doser? Thinking about trying it but need some guidance.
please and thankyou

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phyto needs Guiliards which in N & P & K and whatever else
…IMO is best harvested at peak count/lowest ferts
I grow plenty and I’m too scared to dose it …following in spite of the many threads on it already

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people dose live phyto manually. Autodosing live phyto has a few challenges that hard to overcome:

1) live phyto harvested from culture containers need to be refrigerated or they go bad. So you will need to put a mini fridge next to your tank and drill hole, run a tube thru, and seal it, to run a set up like that. Not impossible, and can also then use same set up to dose other things that needs refrigeration, like aminos

2) hooking up the doser directly to the culture station means that you will constantly be regrouping and replenishing the station instead of the typically harvest/batch cycles. This runs into the issue as @Doctorgori mentioned, of introducing too much fertilizer into your system

3) if, instead of using a separate culture station/fertilizer setup, you plumb it to your tank for a a in-system setup where you use the tanks own water to fertilize, as what Reefbum tried to do in his YouTube video (you can Google it), I think the issue you will run into eventually is that film algae from your tank will eventually overtake your culture station and crash your culture

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old thread but i'll give my input anyway.
I've been dosing live phyto for the last 7 months directly from the culture to the aquarium (in the return chamber), and so far having no problems from that.
- very low measuable nutrions (NO3 ~ 2.5 and PO4 ~ 0.06)
- feeding corals
- large amount of pods
- also feed my continous culture of rotifies

Phyto is my only source of nutrion export, being removed by the skimmer and consumed by lots of things.
I use a standard 4 channel doser and change the tubes like every 2. or 3. month.
I culture the phyto in two containers, switching weekly, which reduces the amount of fertilizer going to the aquarium

I

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This worked well for me

Back