Anyone ever tested fresh HW Marinemix Reefer?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested a batch of HW Marinemix reefer that was about 3-4 weeks old. It tested:
Potassium- 350
Alk- 7.5
Calcium- 420
Mag- 1410

Then I tested a newly mixed batch and the results were:
Potassium- 330
Alk- 7.8
Calcium- 400
Mag- 1290

I am surprised at the low Alk and Potassium. The Alk is supposed to be around 9 from the BRS tests I have seen run and the Potassium seems awful low as well.
I was considering moving to Brightwell Neomarine instead. I keep my Alk around 8.5 and is seems Neomarine is closer to that.

Anyone else with similar results?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use that salt and it always tested at 9dKh....because of that, I switched to Instant Ocean since it was way cheaper and also mixes to 9dKh alkalinity...just less calcium, though. I had a hard time paying that price all the time.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to only use hw and got 9.0 on every batch. I did stir my buckets up for shipping settling.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange. The whole box was around that dkh. Maybe just an off batch. I need a new box so maybe I’ll try it once more.
Ever test the potassium?

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange. The whole box was around that dkh. Maybe just an off batch. I need a new box so maybe I’ll try it once more.
Ever test the potassium?
I'm actually in the same boat as you. I test my newly mixed saltwater a day after I start mixing to make sure everything is homogenous. My first box from last October had an Alk of 7.4. Every subsequent batch from that same box resulted somewhere between Alk 7.2-7.4. I thought it was just a fluke since there were such good reviews on BRS and they tested an Alk of 9 for their own box. I just got another box of HW reefer and this brand new box had several Alk readings of 8.0 dkh. I recheck my readings with both my Hanna checkers and salifert test kits which agree spot-on with each other. I don't know what the hype is, but to me HW reefer salt is pretty inconsistent. The weird thing is that my Ca and Mg are similar between both boxes but the alkalinity swings way too much for me to try another box of HW reefer next time..

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tested my new tank (Feb 21) It came out to 8.4 DKH with HW Reefer. My last water change and third box of HW Reefer the tank looked terrible after the change. I tested the tank and noticed a sharp drop in DKH to 7.9. Mixed and tested a fresh gallon of salt and got 7.4 DKH. I have since slowly gotten DKH back to 8.5 with sodium bicarb but my confidence is low in HW quality control.

I have read a number of threads questioning consistency. Problems in low potassium with some batches, floating things in the water and I personally get a small amount of what I can only describe as sand or dirt in each bucket I mix up. I wanted Tropic Marin Pro from day one and had to settle for something else due to supply problems. I now have a box of Tropic Marin and supplies seem to be getting back to normal so I will keep DKH at 8.5 myself and slowly switch salts.

Disappointing to read about this but not unexpected after other QC issues with HW.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was just about to switch to HW, but read these threads that it is mixing low on Alk, and latest BRS comments say the same. Anyone buy recently from BRS and also seeing low ALK?
I've been buying HW from BRS for about 5 months. Every batch I've ever mixed, tests at about 9 dkh. It's the main reason I use it. I am able to keep my alkalinity within .2 swings at all times. Best of luck :)

Edit- I should also mention that I use roughly 2 boxes every month between my tanks :)

Last edited:

coronarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested a batch of HW Marinemix reefer that was about 3-4 weeks old. It tested:
Potassium- 350
Alk- 7.5
Calcium- 420
Mag- 1410

Then I tested a newly mixed batch and the results were:
Potassium- 330
Alk- 7.8
Calcium- 400
Mag- 1290

I am surprised at the low Alk and Potassium. The Alk is supposed to be around 9 from the BRS tests I have seen run and the Potassium seems awful low as well.
I was considering moving to Brightwell Neomarine instead. I keep my Alk around 8.5 and is seems Neomarine is closer to that.

Anyone else with similar results?
Yes. Dont use that ****, I was getting 7 dkh. BRS refunded me. I am now using BW Neomarine, previously was using TM Pro. I am getting 8 dkh on the nose with BW Neo.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back