Anyone ever used hydrogen Peroxide

Rvs187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I seen online a lot people use 12% hydrogen peroxide food grade on their to combat green hairline algae ... I have been getting some algae and I was wondering if works and if hurts the corals and fish thanks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free study guide if interested. Most wont read more than 10 seconds without quitting, but if interested heres nine years of work links all about it.
Peroxide is the most important reef tool I’ve ever been shown.

notice how for nearly a decade, we don’t dump it in the tank. Some do, we don’t below because we find direct application after rasping is best

No fish are harmed if the dilutions are set correctly if someone does add it to the water, and most corals are tolerant we show, but waste in the system is a typical associate of GHA and to dose the water then kill off algae, compounding the waste, is unideal though the algae will likely die if dosed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rvs187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free study guide if interested. Most wont read more than 10 seconds without quitting, but if interested heres nine years of work links all about it.
Peroxide is the most important reef tool I’ve ever been shown.

notice how for nearly a decade, we don’t dump it in the tank. Some do, we don’t below because we find direct application after rasping is best

No fish are harmed if the dilutions are set correctly if someone does add it to the water, and most corals are tolerant we show, but waste in the system is a typical associate of GHA and to dose the water then kill off algae, compounding the waste, is unideal though the algae will likely die if dosed.

Thanks I’ll read it

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end we usually come down to two options: a nano that can be easily accessed, or a really large tank where direct access isn’t possible. If the algae isn’t too badly set in, underwater direct application is possible it’s just better long term regrowth control to do the direct run

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rvs187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sea hare in my tank. Hair algae is something I don't have to worry about... lol
My tank is only 60 gallon ... but my lfs , rents then out ... he’s getting on this week hopefully

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have probably 200 in tank doses logged in the results above, first I've heard of in my entire history of use. That isn't likely to happen again, anytime soon. When it's linked to actual peroxide we expect more than one total wipe event, but thats a devastating loss we should mark it in our study threads for consideration

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a thread of that fish loss

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard about it I can’t never find the video
Hope this works, not that great at adding links.

OP
OP
R

Rvs187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this works, not that great at adding links.

Thanks

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used it on acans and zoas, just be careful not to burn the zoas like i did last time, but there were fine. I dipped 50/50 salt to peroxide. I was hesitant at first, dipped for a maybe 3 minutes

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, any oxidizier has the potential to cause harm to a wide variety of the organisms in our tanks. Peroxide can be used in varying capcities effectively, but it's never without risk. Make sure to follow the instructions of a source you trust and take all necessary safety precautions for you and your animals. There are a variety of variables that make it impossible to say with absolutely certainity that you will not have an adverse outcome from it's use, but if you are diligent about your dilution, contact time, and application, you reduce this risk considerably.

OP
OP
R

Rvs187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end we usually come down to two options: a nano that can be easily accessed, or a really large tank where direct access isn’t possible. If the algae isn’t too badly set in, underwater direct application is possible it’s just better long term regrowth control to do the direct run
have you used Vibrant ??? Any thoughts on the product ?

OP
OP
R

Rvs187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used it on acans and zoas, just be careful not to burn the zoas like i did last time, but there were fine. I dipped 50/50 salt to peroxide. I was hesitant at first, dipped for a maybe 3 minutes
Iowa’s looking to use for GHA

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back