Anyone into arduino based controllers?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks like a cool project. I'm getting ready to start a build and I'm weighing options. Any input on the topic is greatly appreciated.
I love how its open source, and can do alot more than the "closed loop" systems etc. Its really cool. Im sure in a few months when i dive in to get my tank programmed etc ill have more to say, but definitely check out the reef angel forums, as theres a ton of great people coding over there.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly that d

Honestly doesn't sound very frustrating. UNACCEPTABLE!
Im running a freshwater planted tank with a 10 dollar pi zero w loaded with raspian headless and reef pi. 4 channels of pwm for lighting. 8 controlled outlets. 2 heaters controlled by accurate temp sensors. I have an additional temp sensor for room temp. A ph probe and soon to be a good ATO added. Reef pi handles it great. Ive been using it for a year without a hitch.

Reef pi has a web iu for access and you can also set up adafruit i/o or prometheus for graphing and control.

peterj66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m building a combination of Raspberry PI and Arduino IoT. All control parts are arduino based and the web part will be done with the PI. So far the dosing pump is ready and im working on the alkalinity measurement part. Its not the cheapest way to build but since each part will be standalone and talk to the PI over bluetooth its easily expandable and changing the code of one part or adding more units will not affect the operation of the others. When alkalinity is done, I think I will replace the controller for my tank and sump lights and maybe add features like temperature and pH control.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NeonRabbit221B,
I have built a controller similar to Reef-pi but based on Arduino. I can share the codes and the how-to if you are still interested.
Yes please! You have a repo setup?

I’m building a combination of Raspberry PI and Arduino IoT. All control parts are arduino based and the web part will be done with the PI. So far the dosing pump is ready and im working on the alkalinity measurement part. Its not the cheapest way to build but since each part will be standalone and talk to the PI over bluetooth its easily expandable and changing the code of one part or adding more units will not affect the operation of the others. When alkalinity is done, I think I will replace the controller for my tank and sump lights and maybe add features like temperature and pH control.

I have thought about using particle boards for this. Nice concept!

John Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup is very compact. I use a box from a old motorola modem 6"x6"x2" which I cut a window for the LCD (1st pic). The 2nd pic is my previous version but very close to what is running now.
Components:
1. Arduino nano controller is attached to the bread board
2. LCD 20 columns x 4 rows on top
3. 8-channel relay for turning on/of what ever device you have. I am running 2 lights, 2 cooling fans, 4 solenoids for top-off
4. DS18B20 water temp sensor is attached to the black lead.
5. The white rectangular piece on upper right corner is the DHT22 air temp and humidity sensor
6. Below it is the DS3231 real time clock
7. The tiny black dot on the upper left corner of the bread board is the infrared sensor used to control the device with a remote control but I have replaced it with a bluetooth device and control it with an Android app with my Samsung phone.
I hope you have at least some basic experience in electronics, electrical and C++ coding.

20200505_172318.jpg 20200505_173014.jpg

OP
OP
oceans garden aquaculture

oceans garden aquaculture

Oceans garden aquaculture
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup is very compact. I use a box from a old motorola modem 6"x6"x2" which I cut a window for the LCD (1st pic). The 2nd pic is my previous version but very close to what is running now.
Components:
1. Arduino nano controller is attached to the bread board
2. LCD 20 columns x 4 rows on top
3. 8-channel relay for turning on/of what ever device you have. I am running 2 lights, 2 cooling fans, 4 solenoids for top-off
4. DS18B20 water temp sensor is attached to the black lead.
5. The white rectangular piece on upper right corner is the DHT22 air temp and humidity sensor
6. Below it is the DS3231 real time clock
7. The tiny black dot on the upper left corner of the bread board is the infrared sensor used to control the device with a remote control but I have replaced it with a bluetooth device and control it with an Android app with my Samsung phone.
I hope you have at least some basic experience in electronics, electrical and C++ coding.

20200505_172318.jpg 20200505_173014.jpg
This is exactly what I was looking for. Awesome!

John Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please! You have a repo setup?

I have thought about using particle boards for this. Nice concept!

This is exactly what I was looking for. Awesome!

A have created a new thread to introduce EcolibriumReef. There are two parts:
EcolibriumReef-Arduino controller
EcolibriumReef-Android remote control
Both are posted and should be visible on GitHub today.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already well controlled, but I have an ardunio yun board kicking around that I have nothing else to do with...

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 34.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back