Anyone know what this creature is?

  • Thread starter Thread starter prsnlty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2011
Messages
7,541
Reaction score
5,049
Location
Citrus Co, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, see the white thing at the bottom of this piece of live rock? Know what it is and is it okay? There are 2 aptasia here too... they'll be gone in the morning.
Photo0705.jpg


Thanks :)
 
Thank you :) I was thinking it might be but I never saw one with what appears to be a mouth. I also have some pink and purple similar to this on other rocks but with little or no mouths. Kinda slimy feeling too.
 
What appears to be a mouth is called the osculum. It allows water to flow out from within the sponge, thereby allowing more water to be drawn in and filtered thru the various pores/cells
 
What appears to be a mouth is called the osculum. It allows water to flow out from within the sponge, thereby allowing more water to be drawn in and filtered thru the various pores/cells

Thank you :) It is quite interesting to see in my tank. I purchased a beautiful piece of live rock that had many different sponges and plant life on it over a year ago. Then my purple pincushion sea urchin devoured it. I'm guessing these came from that rock....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new