Anyone know what this is????

Scaggs1117

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2023
Messages
193
Reaction score
39
Location
Queens
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been noticing a few of these throughout the tank recently, reefer 525XL
They’re like fuzzy plushy little slug looking things that are white

IMG_6742.png
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6741.mov
    18.4 MB
If it's sessile (doesn't move) then I think this is a pineapple sponge, especially because it appears to be growing in your overflow, and they like to grow in shaded places. They are indeed totally harmless, possibly beneficial filter feeders, and very common in newer tanks. Their population will self-regulate on their own.

Here's a stock pic of pineapple sponges:
pineapple-sponges-3.jpg


This one is upside down, but you can see it's frilly top (upside down, of course) that to me resembles the green leaves at the top of a pineapple. I'm pretty sure I see these white frills in the picture you posted:
images


I hope this helps!
 
I second Sycon sp. or related genus (Pineapple sponge)
See page 5, post #83
Beneficial filter feeders.
 
Looks like a Stomatella snail to me, given the small mouth at the bottom.
I can see a stomatella but with stomatella snails their mouthpiece is seperate so what from their body, so I don’t think it’s that. I haven’t seen a chiton myself but could it be one?
 
It’s def a pineapple sponge.
 
If it's sessile (doesn't move) then I think this is a pineapple sponge, especially because it appears to be growing in your overflow, and they like to grow in shaded places. They are indeed totally harmless, possibly beneficial filter feeders, and very common in newer tanks. Their population will self-regulate on their own.

Here's a stock pic of pineapple sponges:
pineapple-sponges-3.jpg


This one is upside down, but you can see it's frilly top (upside down, of course) that to me resembles the green leaves at the top of a pineapple. I'm pretty sure I see these white frills in the picture you posted:
images


I hope this helps!
That’s exactly what they are thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new