Anyone out there still using a "skilter"?

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by Wickedfun, Feb 18, 2019.

1. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Oh my !! A skilter!! It’s been years since I’ve heard that name. Blast from the past! Thank you for that.

They are a lot of trouble, but if it’s just to get you going for a bit ... go for it. Make plans to upgrade soon!

Seamore2001 and Wickedfun like this.

2. NotASpammerDude

NotASpammerDude Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

People love to trash it, as evidenced in this thread. But they are comparing it to "what they think it should do."

It's the equivalent of any 200+ gph HOB filter except you get a bonus place where you can put an airstone to extra tank aeration.
    IMG_1119.JPG

I am using a limewood airstone and a whisper 10. To reduce the flow from 250gph, I drilled three ~1/8" holes in the black plastic intake piece inside the chamber, this makes the skimmer more effective.
    You can stick whatever you want in the chamber like any HOB filter. I've run Seachem Matrix, polyester pads, polyester fiber, and now seachem purigen. It's just a HOB filter...

I mean I totally agree that it's overpriced, but worse case scenario, buy a new impellar if you find a used skilter. It's quiet when you shut off the venturi valve (I never use the venturi). It's really not hard to "modify" you just need a drill and 2 bits... One to fit the airline hose and optionally a smaller one to decrease the flow (by increasing water recirculation inside the chamber).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Mastiffsrule and Wickedfun like this.
  3. NotASpammerDude

airline just pipes down from the top/lid and I have a hole drilled larger than the existing one in the lid, for the airline to come out,
    [​IMG]

this is where I drilled 3 holes, (1 on each side, about 1/8" each) across from where the venturi tube goes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Wickedfun likes this.
  4. Wickedfun

Wickedfun Active Member Build Thread Contributor

@NotASpammerDude Thank you!
    THIS is what I was hoping for! Real world experiences...I figured a new skilter at worst would just be a working HOB...and if it actually skims as well, BONUS!

Lol, but since I posted initially I have been scouring the web for references and of course I am finding it must have had it's best years about 15-20 years ago! APPARENTLY...we have come a long way in the hobby in the intervening years!

NotASpammerDude likes this.
  5. klm2500hd

klm2500hd Member

Bought a skilter back when it was cutting edge technology (lol), use it still on qt tank to aerate water and as a hob filter, so does not see regular use but still works 30 or so years later. Pretty useless as a skimmer though.

h2oh2o and Wickedfun like this.
  6. Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

That was the mods I was mentioning. Never knew it could be that effective. Really awesome

NotASpammerDude and Wickedfun like this.
  7. NotASpammerDude

Yep I basically used it as a stepping stone from an Aquaclear 50 and now I have the skilter running just as supplementary filtration on my 10 gallon sump. Oh yeah, and I got it for free from my uncle lol. And it had a broken impellar.

Wickedfun likes this.
  8. Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I love the aquaclear. I used one of those all the way up to my current 180. I think they are great

9. jsvand5

jsvand5 Well-Known Member

There is a reason that NO ONE uses them.

I had one back in the early 90s. Used it for a week until it was clear that I was scammed. Didn’t have the benefit of the internet back then

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Wickedfun likes this.
  10. Stanzo13

Stanzo13 Active Member

Question for everyone.... I have a hob skimmer.... I can cut the outlet tubes and make the bottom of it several inches higher while the main water exit port is in the same spot, not effecting my skimmer at all. But with this additional few inches of downward flow to the tank...... Can't just put a filter their? I understand the idea I just don't understand why they are made in such a seemingly useless way. Then again... 1990's so it's understandable

Wickedfun likes this.
  11. Tango2

Tango2 Active Member

My first tank used one circa 2002. Recommendation from the crappy single LFS we had at the time. It was quickly upgraded to an AquaC Remora HOB skimmer that worked pretty well.

Wickedfun likes this.
  12. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Ah, memory lane. . . . the popular skilter filter. I sold many at my pet store as sump were not quite in yet and this was " THE THING" !!!! You could add carbon media. ammonia sponge and collect skim and dirt at the same time. Call it if you could : AN ALL IN ONE UNIT and it was actually effective !!

13. Sharkbate

Sharkbate Active Member

I use one on my Nem Nano AIO . Although not purely for filtration . Mine has a compartment for media which I fill with carbon . The skimmer part does work and pulls out some gunk . Only downer with mine is it’s fairly noisey . I have the Prizm deluxe HOB .

CB5AF2B5-A2FE-421C-9D97-346C182A838A.jpeg

14. pjr

pjr Active Member

I used a Skilter back in the day with some success on a smaller tank... but, as others have stated, it requires a wood stone and air pump. Out of the box the skimmer is loud and useless.

15. tripdad

tripdad Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I used one on my first reef, non fowler. It worked fine, needed constant adjustments. The only advice I have, and memory is bad, is that the air bleed valve setting is counter-intuitive. If I remember correctly, it worked better open more?

Wickedfun likes this.
  16. Wickedfun

I am using it on my rock curing tank...we will see how it goes. I did do the airstone and pump substitution, but that still needs tweaking. The one I started with was too small, the next one was too large and was basically trying to drain my tank by bubbles...so I am looking for the goldilocks stone zone ;-)

NotASpammerDude likes this.
  17. PirateDan

PirateDan Active Member R2R Supporter

I was like what’s a skilter then i saw the picture. I had one! It was great on my fowlr.

Wickedfun and NotASpammerDude like this.
  18. SDK

SDK Reef Diver R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I would try the large one again but add an adjustable valve to the airline. You can get one for a dollar or two, and it will allow you to dial in the bubble flow...

19. Wickedfun

Excellent idea!!! I will try that RIGHT NOW!!! thank you!

20. SDK

SDK Reef Diver R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

You're welcome and good luck with it!

Draft saved Draft deleted