Anyone out there still using a "skilter"?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... I haven’t heard that name in a long time. I essentially found the skimmer part to be close to useless. And that was years back when even “good” skimmers weren’t that good.

It should make for an ok HOB filter with some bonus aeration. I would not count on it to skim much,,

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First , welcome new member. I too am new here.

As mentioned they were not very effective. I would almost like to have one now for nostalgia. There were some mods on it a few years back involving air stones. I never got mine to work but decent filter portion for what it was.

OP
OP
Wickedfun

Wickedfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given one that is new in box. Budget minded reefer that I am becoming, I am going to try it, just wondering about practical experiences others have had with it. The instructions mention the airstone hack...so I will definitely be trying that.

If it turns out to be useless as a skimmer, I do have another option in reserve.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used a Skilter 250 supreme on my first saltwater tank back in like 1991 LOL
even back then it wasnt very good. I dont recall it ever skimmed and the motor in it would always need slapped after turning on and off to get it running again. but hey I was 12 when I had that tank

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "skilter"? Never heard of it. I'm guessing a filter with a skimmer built in?

Would love to see pictures of the device and the box it came in.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a combo hob skimmer/filter when i first started.
Impossible to tune the skimmer part, the filter pads were proprietary so had to use theirs.
After about 2 months i brooke it with a hammer, lit it on fire, collected the ashes and assembled a model rocket to get them as far away from me as possible. Ok i just threw it away lol

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "skilter"? Never heard of it. I'm guessing a filter with a skimmer built in?

Would love to see pictures of the device and the box it came in.

I can’t believe they are still made. $89. I am buying one
upload_2019-2-19_10-12-14.jpeg

OP
OP
Wickedfun

Wickedfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have to post a picture now...LOL...thank you Mastiffsrule. The one I "was gifted" is the larger model, the "450" . I will let you all know how it goes. I am surprised that NO ONE is still using one...I assumed if you could still buy them or get parts for them that they might have some practical use. Who knew?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol

Skilter.

That's soooooooooooooooooo old school! Just run a skimmer or a HOB skimmer.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have to post a picture now...LOL...thank you Mastiffsrule. The one I "was gifted" is the larger model, the "450" . I will let you all know how it goes. I am surprised that NO ONE is still using one...I assumed if you could still buy them or get parts for them that they might have some practical use. Who knew?

I'm surprised people would still use it! :)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a good idea to me. it would have to be modular otherwise, when the skimmer fails, you will be without the filter until the skimmer is repaired.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still pick up one by Rio off Amazon. I picked up a NON-Drilled 55 gallon a year ago and used one for about 6 months. It was useless. The skimmer stopped working all the time. I ended up picking up some of Lee's wood air stones and an air pump. Fed the stone down in the bottom of the filter and it ended up working pretty decent then. I did end up tossing it after about a month or so and just did frequent water changes.

51iHnqx3lvL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Rio-Nano-Pro...+SKIMMER&qid=1550606407&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1

Last edited:

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use it!

It wasn't bad if it wasn't for the airflow to stop in the pump. I purchased (2) of them and both quit skimming after (2) months. Worked pretty well after the air stone additions. If you want one I will give you a good deal! :)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It wasn't bad if it wasn't for the airflow to stop in the pump. I purchased (2) of them and both quit skimming after (2) months. Worked pretty well after the air stone additions. If you want one I will give you a good deal! :)
Pm me

Back