Anyone out there still using a "skilter"?

roc5288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Skilter 250 supreme on my first saltwater tank back in like 1991 LOL
even back then it wasnt very good. I dont recall it ever skimmed and the motor in it would always need slapped after turning on and off to get it running again. but hey I was 12 when I had that tank

I almost forgot that part. Slapping the hell out of that thing, thinking I was gonna break the glass on my tank.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a supreme 450 in a box in my garage. Danner brought them back out I think to years ago.

I think they are junk, noise is an issue of ran the way the box says. If you add an airstone it could work ok.

If you're looking for a hob filter/skimmer combo look at the one from coralife, it actually skims out of the box without adding anything

OP
OP
Wickedfun

Wickedfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome and good luck with it!
It worked like a charm...nice dry skimmate now! Wooohooo!
20190307_183954.jpg

OP
OP
Wickedfun

Wickedfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a supreme 450 in a box in my garage. Danner brought them back out I think to years ago.

I think they are junk, noise is an issue of ran the way the box says. If you add an airstone it could work ok.

If you're looking for a hob filter/skimmer combo look at the one from coralife, it actually skims out of the box without adding anything
This was a new in box "gimme" in a box of supplies I bought on FB marketplace. Since I had very little invested I thought I would give it a try.

OP
OP
Wickedfun

Wickedfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest "freebie" find is a Rainbow Lifeguard fluidized bed filter. I am trying it out with SurePure NP active beans on the same tank. There is a ramp time on adding the beans so still on my first 50 ml. It takes 30 days to get the whole 250 in supposedly.

Dee

OP
OP
Wickedfun

Wickedfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want to make space in the garage I will gladly pay slow ground shipping for it

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is running on my 29 gal QT tank. The skimmer part is too hard to keep running. The air injector clogs up with dried salt + minerals. Easier to use as a HOB filter. By the way, It is the only skimmer I own. Macro algae works for me......

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one in the 90s on a 15g tank that was a success. I was a HOB fan for a long time; still am. Would I buy one today.... No. But I think you can have success with one.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleaned mine out last night, there was globs and globs of dark gunk at the top and on the hose, I assume from doing its job
I use a limewood airstone and just cleaned

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back