Anyone Rocking Vortechs

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and i'm looking to get another one. I saw these at a reefclub members house and fell in love. Found this video while searching google for used ones, since they're so dang expensive.

[youtube]L9L2FaZwfwo[/youtube]

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 of them for 4 months and yes they can create a wave but went back to tunzes

I had to many problems with them to leave for the weekend and not worry about them

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video, lol. I was never able to get the wave effect though.

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine fell off the glass 4 times and were very loud at full speed (i had tunzes for over 3 years and only had 1 prop break)

the local that bought them had them sent in and got them fixed

that tank had nothing in it add rock and the wave lowers in my 120 I had a 1 inch wave

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that too few times, untill I brought it into their shop. New parts + new spacer and it's been fine ever since.

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats my problem i need them to work not to have to ship them back to get them to work

tunzes are proven thats why i went back and didnt want too

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are Tunzes compared to Koralias and can they be used with a wavemaker? I know that the Koralias cannot be. I am still looking at power head options for my mew tank but Tunzes are double the cost of Koralias so that is a concern for me.

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 and not happY with it..

OP
OP
NapoliNewJersey

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are Tunzes compared to Koralias and can they be used with a wavemaker? I know that the Koralias cannot be. I am still looking at power head options for my mew tank but Tunzes are double the cost of Koralias so that is a concern for me.

Korrallia just started doing a wavemaker version. It's really expensive. My issue with Korallia (which is what I have now) is that they are so big and take up way too much room.

I have 2 and not happY with it..

Steve are they the ones with the wave controller. If they are and you're selling them I might be interested.

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Korrallia just started doing a wavemaker version. It's really expensive. My issue with Korallia (which is what I have now) is that they are so big and take up way too much room.

Yeah, I just saw those and yes they are very expensive. I am only using nanos though so they are not that big IMO but the other sizes are pretty hefty.

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I'll ever get Tunzes again unless it is a Wavebox. Too many times did I have the prop solidify in the shaft. I just went to modded Maxijets and have been happy. I would like something that can get me wave action though, which is why I'm wondering if the Wavebox would be useful.

OP
OP
NapoliNewJersey

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Vortech right now.

I dno't have any issues of falling off the glass or propeller issues.

I think it's a great pump for what I'm looking for. I want a pump that doesn't take up alot of space inside the tank and uses decently low wattage. It will make incredible waves and random flow patterns. If I can put one on my back glass, one on the left and one on the right I won't need anything more than that. I can even lower the flow coming out of my returns, thus making my refugium and protein skimmer that much more effective.

Tunze's are great but they are way way way too bulky and still up there in price. The maxijet mods are inexpensive but use too much wattage. The old korallias can't be hooked up to a wave controller and the new ones are just as expensive and bulky as Tunze's.

I think Vortechs are my best bet.

divecj5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a Vortech so I can't comment on them. I have a 29 gallon biocube and just switched from one Koralia 2 to 2 Nanostreams so I can comment on a difference or two that I notice between the two.

I overall liked the Koralia 2 as it was a good pump and I never had any problems with it. I never liked the overall size of it since it was pretty freaking big in a nano :). I decided to go with the 2 Nanostreams because of their smaller size, increased flow, and over performance and reputability....also they were 15% off at the time so I got a good deal on new ones.

The first thing that I like is their compact size compared to the koralia. They are probably comparable to the size of the Koralia Nano or K1 so it made my tank feel that much larger.

Second thing that I noticed is not only the amount of flow, but the overall difference in the spread of the flow. It seemed like to me that the Koralia was nice and diffuse but it was still pretty linear in one direction. One thing that I noticed right away with the Nanostreams was not only how diffuse yet turbulent it is, but also the overall randomness that I am able to create with them.

I am really happy that I made the switch and so are my SPS :)

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added one to my 90 gallon, and I REALLY like it. Reef Crest mode works just fine, and it is more quiet then my pair of Tunze Nano streams that I replaced with it.

I can get about a 1" wave in my tank in pulse mode, but since I have an external overflow I don't keep it that way.

kharn101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i wonder how small that nano is??? i might get one of these....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back