Anyone still prefer the 10K look, or even 6.5K? What's with all the windex colored tanks?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was making the point it works well for you obviously

but not for others, and that we won’t be getting any chances to inspect what does work for others unless people spend time working jobs for others where those helped can give their independent evals

I do jobs like that.

as a function of working with others tank challenges in link I’m stating directly white lights cause problems in algae challenge tanks and blue helps suppress the issues, and that the public can see that for themselves now

it’s common nowadays to see it in the assessment process
Im not going to argue as you have your point of view and I respect that.

We already know what works and dont need 50 tests of other systems to reprove what works, imo.

A blanket statement that white light causes algae issues is not correct. With systems that have issues with algae maybe but thats not addressing the overall issue and is a bandaid at best, imo.

Keep doing what your doing as it will help some people and im good with that.

Most reefers with issues have this in common.

1. No plan from day one and that includes how to correct algae issues when they arrise.

2. Same plan goes for maintaing a healthy reef system from day one.

3. No complete understanding of whats involved with said above 2.

4. Without an understanding of whats involved to many people get the wrong or to much advice from others/internet, everyones an expert theory.

Thats the basics of failure, imo.

I could go on but most wont listen because they never had a plan from day one and are looking for a quick fix to their issues whatever they may be.

I have always though reefing was not that hard. Yes I have had issues along the way but thats natural.

I understand most of the biology of reefing but biology was not my thing.

I did 20 years as a chemical engineer in silicon vally so I have a pretty good handle on the chemistry of reefing. Not expert level but I know what works.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not scurred of white!
Blues only this morning, it's very cloudy normally the tank is glowing with sunlight.
20211216_112431_HDR.jpg

70 or 75% white, 2 x coral plus, no blues. No algae. Well, there is, but not anything that is a nuisance. The only reason the blues aren't on in this daytime photo is because I just didn't turn them on that day.

20211211_162042_HDR.jpg

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love me some crisp white lights!

Then I can wear orange filtered glasses to make my coral skeletons look orange, blue filtered glasses to make them blue or green lenses to make em green.

Jokes aside, I like having both. Whites during day and bluea during mornings and evenings. Then I enjoy all ascpeta of coral and fish coloration.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to necro a thread. I am trying to find what the Kelvin manual mode does on a Hydra 32 HD. The search function thought I need to read this.
Here are the settings I have been using on my Photon V2 for a long time
i-4bDvcqk-M.png
2 blue channels are 1/3 of red, green, white and violet.

See all my algae
i-Mkhjw7X-M.jpg

or the other tank under MH/T5. Maybe it's growing there.
i-PB9xMhq-M.jpg

Nope, not there either. These pics are not color corrected at all.

Here is is
i-HnRkJhh-M.jpg
i-PZpL2zk-M.jpg

growing under 2 165 watt BB lights in a 29 gallon tank with blue and white set to 95%. Grows quite well there.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to necro a thread. I am trying to find what the Kelvin manual mode does on a Hydra 32 HD. The search function thought I need to read this.
Here are the settings I have been using on my Photon V2 for a long time
i-4bDvcqk-M.png
2 blue channels are 1/3 of red, green, white and violet.

See all my algae
i-Mkhjw7X-M.jpg

or the other tank under MH/T5. Maybe it's growing there.
i-PB9xMhq-M.jpg

Nope, not there either. These pics are not color corrected at all.

Here is is
i-HnRkJhh-M.jpg
i-PZpL2zk-M.jpg

growing under 2 165 watt BB lights in a 29 gallon tank with blue and white set to 95%. Grows quite well there.
I have the 16HD's. I believe you click on it to get your K rating and it sets the color of the settings to achieve the desired K rating.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 16HD's. I believe you click on it to get your K rating and it sets the color of the settings to achieve the desired K rating.
Thank you very much.

It is silly what you CANT find out about on the net. I saw a picture of the app with that open. No where does anything tell you more about this mode.
I now know 3982 places I can but Hydra lights though.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure the hobby agrees now that too much white spectrum causes issues. How’s hindsight looking on the matter

I see people mention it daily in light tuning posts, offers

does David Saxby’s hd prime setting use white spectrum or not

cycling to 2 ppm ammonia is about to get the same tuneup, and there are as many doubters currently

watching reef trends unfold is fascinating. What groups of reefers agree to do or not do, buy or not buy and endorse vs shun is fascinating.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back