Anyone still prefer the 10K look, or even 6.5K? What's with all the windex colored tanks?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before LED's became the preferred lighting solution, you had two camps of reefers. Folks that preferred the white(6.5K,10K) look with some blue actinic at dawn dusk, and those that were in the 20K camp. 20K was popular with SPS keepers. I was a daylight look reefer, and preferred the appearance that mimicked what I would see snorkeling a shallow reef.

12-11-40_Surgeon-fishes-_-Credit-Lauric-Thiault-1080x675.jpg

I used to run Iwasaki's back in the day, and eventually graduated to Ushio metal halides. Then I went to T5's and still focused on a whiter look during the day.
Now I'm 100% LED, and I find I run my whites much higher than the settings shared by others. I've downloaded settings to my AI Hydras that others promote on forums/facebook out of curiousity, and they are all very blue in spectrum. I feel like I'm out of touch. Whenever folks post full tank shots, they look like windex or a blacklight poster from some kid's dorm room. I recognize LED tanks are harder to photograph true to color and I'm sure these tanks are not that blue in person. Hell, my white tank looks more blue in photos than in person.

I'd love to hear from folks that still crank up the white LED's on their systems. Let's see some shallow water reefs with nice sunshine glimmer lines. Here's mine, and yes it looks bluer due to the iphone camera(no filter), but it's around a 12K spectrum on the AI Hydras. I'm tempted to crank up the whites further and get more towards a 10K spectrum. Anyone have issues with the white LED's set to 100%?

IMG_0855.jpeg
Love whites. I think a lot of us are assuming that everyone has a box full of winded because of our photography skills

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is some fascinating interplay between color tuning and burning of corals/light induced bleaching after a reef tank is moved or upgraded using out sandbed cleaning approach so that the new tank doesn't recycle.

lowering white intensity in transfer tanks completely stopped prior coral bleaching we were seeing, and what BRS saw on their single logged sand removal attempt.

the # move we make during reef CPR for any mistake or insult event that can kill a reef is to dial down the light intensity.

or turn them off

that's before the water change, before the testing and guess level response dosing etc

lighting modulation is a big deal in reefing and color tuning is part of that activity.

any reef can be adapted to the color preference of the keeper over time, these abilities to alter white vs blue settings are handy dynamics for initial tuning and in response to reef challenges, upgrades or sand cleaning/removal jobs.

Last edited:

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a Phoenix 14k kind of guy. I've tried to get my LED's to have a similar look and they are close, but nothing compares to a MH. However, I'll take "close" over the heat and energy consumption any day.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “windex look” is from running all blue plus t5 bulbs. My kessil light settings are very very visually appealing.... violets purples blues, OH MY!

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start in the morning with the blue and purple look as the sun rises my lights get whiter. Reverse in the evening. I like all the spectrums. Too blue looks unrealistic. Its nice to see the corals in their natural look as well.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. I use kessils, so I just have it change it during the day. Morning starts out with 0% white, but ramps up to 70% over the first hour. Then over the middle of the day the intensity increases. I'm not sure what K that would be, but around 10kish I would guess. The blue is not noticeable, but there is still enough to give a little pop to the coral while maintaining the overall white look. I want to be able to see the fish.

In the evening it does similar to the morning, but the white turns down to 0% while the intensity is stays higher, after it gets to 0% white, the intensity starts to drop over the next 2 hours until the lights go out. That is optimal coral viewing time in terms of bright colors.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before LED's became the preferred lighting solution, you had two camps of reefers. Folks that preferred the white(6.5K,10K) look with some blue actinic at dawn dusk, and those that were in the 20K camp. 20K was popular with SPS keepers. I was a daylight look reefer, and preferred the appearance that mimicked what I would see snorkeling a shallow reef.

12-11-40_Surgeon-fishes-_-Credit-Lauric-Thiault-1080x675.jpg

I used to run Iwasaki's back in the day, and eventually graduated to Ushio metal halides. Then I went to T5's and still focused on a whiter look during the day.
Now I'm 100% LED, and I find I run my whites much higher than the settings shared by others. I've downloaded settings to my AI Hydras that others promote on forums/facebook out of curiousity, and they are all very blue in spectrum. I feel like I'm out of touch. Whenever folks post full tank shots, they look like windex or a blacklight poster from some kid's dorm room. I recognize LED tanks are harder to photograph true to color and I'm sure these tanks are not that blue in person. Hell, my white tank looks more blue in photos than in person.

I'd love to hear from folks that still crank up the white LED's on their systems. Let's see some shallow water reefs with nice sunshine glimmer lines. Here's mine, and yes it looks bluer due to the iphone camera(no filter), but it's around a 12K spectrum on the AI Hydras. I'm tempted to crank up the whites further and get more towards a 10K spectrum. Anyone have issues with the white LED's set to 100%?

IMG_0855.jpeg
I too love that natural sunlight look, like what I would find in a tide pool or snorkling shallow water. I never liked the deep blue look in a reef tank. I get it though... the blue spectrum brings out some insane colors in most corals.

My pico is currently cycling but I'm guessing my A80 will lean towards the white light spectrum for at least half of the lighting period.

Tclason1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run primarily blue LED, but then open my windows and just recently installed a single T5 white daylight behind LEDs. Love the look full blue LED with natural sunlight with T5 white. Looks HD to me.
01B47295-FCD4-4DA4-AA72-C1719CCEE417.jpeg

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you on ARC?
No

I haven’t had much luck in the FB forum based on some of my past ‘pro-QT’ posts. So I stick to places that are less hostile.

plus I don’t like all the shenanigans and drama in management, behind the scenes.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

I haven’t had much luck in the FB forum based on some of my past ‘pro-QT’ posts. So I stick to places that are less hostile.

plus I don’t like all the shenanigans and drama in management, behind the scenes.
FB is so garbage anyways I don't even have a FB account, haven't in about a decade. I stick to their actual forum. I hear you on the drama, this winter was a Emmy award level drama.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What channel settings get you 10k on the Photon? I have yet to find a look with mine I'm happy with.

through the day 1,2,5,6 60% 3 30% 4 52%
Turning 3 up makes everything grey
You have to use the red and green everyone avoids.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB is so garbage anyways I don't even have a FB account, haven't in about a decade. I stick to their actual forum. I hear you on the drama, this winter was a Emmy award level drama.
The actual forum is no better. Why pay dues if it’s only going to end up in someone else’s reefing budget, and not club business expenses?

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also prefer the natural look of what I see snorkeling in Hawaii. I don’t like to 1970’s black light poster looking lighting.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back