Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hy atoll. As you said you have an ATS SCRUBBER. I have too, also i am dosing carbon ( vinegar/ vodka). My no3 still at 25ppm. 30ml vinegar and 3ml vodka per day with bacteria biodigest. Water changes every 7-15 days 15%. 500lit reef with full soft and lps corals, 3 big tanks small fishes and a lot frozen food a day(6-7cubes) and flakes. I am thinking to buy oxydator A for the begining with one catalysts and then go to 2 catalyst if everything is ok. ( i have tried 2 ats scrubber full to algae but my coral closing every day,more carbon doses but white slights to glasses,but nothing,no3 25) My no3 drops to 20-15 with water changes only every week 20-25,% but it was very expensive. I was wondering if you use carbon and if you had a no3 reduction using oxydator. Thanks, Bill

An Oxydtor won't reduce your NO3I am afraid. If you NO3 hasn't come down then either your ATS isn't big enough or perhaps you don't have enough surface area to grow denitrifying bacteria in. The carbon doing is to encourage denitrifying bacteria (as far as I am aware) to grow but if there is not enough suitable places for it to colonise then it isn't going to work efficiently. I have used NoPox in the past to good effect
o bring down NO3.

vlnemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your answer. I will try better circulation with another pump, because i think there is enough rock on my tank and some siporax to the sump. Although, I will buy oxydator A for my reef and see what happens and i will post the results... Thanks

vlnemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont mesure the redox. Is it possible with oxydator A in my liters to over dose? Is it wizer to buy first a redox meter?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not run a tank without oxydators now and always put them in any new tanks I help with.
6% solution and 2 catalysts for mine.
An A with 1 catalyst will be fine.

vlnemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks nager. I saw your reef,its great. Hope good grouth to your corals...

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread, but I would like to contribute my experiences with Oxydators. I had seen these units awhile ago and thought I would like to try them at some point. I am in the process of setting up a new larger tank and decided to investigate the Oxydators again. After looking at the available models. I ordered a Model A and W from a vendor in Germany. While waiting for that order to arrive, I decided to order a couple of mini units for a pico tank that I am in the planning stages for. The mini units were coming from France, and ended up arriving first before the model A and W ones.

Although I was planning to use the A version in my 120G frag system, I decided to try out the mini's in the frag system just to see if they made a detectable difference. I was mostly curious about what effect on the ORP level the 2 very small minis would have on the frag system. I put them in about 6 days ago using the 4.9% H2O2 that they came with and with 2 catalysts in each unit.

In this tank, the ORP has never been particularly high, usually between 250 - 260 mv, and at the time I placed the mini units in, the ORP was quite low ~240 mv (and was the reason I decided to try them before the larger units arrived). As expected the ORP started to climb by about 10 mv per day and now sits between 300 - 315 mv. Still lower than average, but it is possible that my meter may not be 100% calibrated.

Other side effects that I have noticed is that my water is much clearer, or at least I think it is. I noticed that some frags were showing some signs of light stress, which I attributed to more PAR as a result of the less turbid water. Last night I noticed that a plating monti that is on the bottom of the tank is going through a growth spurt after languishing recently. I am having a protracted battle with nudis in this tank, so I have been paying attention to the montiporas frags just to monitor if the nudis are winning or my counter measures are turning the tide. The monti in question was losing the battle and the nudis were getting the upper hand, so a return to growth is a welcome sign.

In the meantime, the large A and W units have arrived. But now I am inclined to leave the 2 mini units in the frag sump just to see if the perceived improvements continue.

Dennis

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread, but I would like to contribute my experiences with Oxydators. I had seen these units awhile ago and thought I would like to try them at some point. I am in the process of setting up a new larger tank and decided to investigate the Oxydators again. After looking at the available models. I ordered a Model A and W from a vendor in Germany. While waiting for that order to arrive, I decided to order a couple of mini units for a pico tank that I am in the planning stages for. The mini units were coming from France, and ended up arriving first before the model A and W ones.

Although I was planning to use the A version in my 120G frag system, I decided to try out the mini's in the frag system just to see if they made a detectable difference. I was mostly curious about what effect on the ORP level the 2 very small minis would have on the frag system. I put them in about 6 days ago using the 4.9% H2O2 that they came with and with 2 catalysts in each unit.

In this tank, the ORP has never been particularly high, usually between 250 - 260 mv, and at the time I placed the mini units in, the ORP was quite low ~240 mv (and was the reason I decided to try them before the larger units arrived). As expected the ORP started to climb by about 10 mv per day and now sits between 300 - 315 mv. Still lower than average, but it is possible that my meter may not be 100% calibrated.

Other side effects that I have noticed is that my water is much clearer, or at least I think it is. I noticed that some frags were showing some signs of light stress, which I attributed to more PAR as a result of the less turbid water. Last night I noticed that a plating monti that is on the bottom of the tank is going through a growth spurt after languishing recently. I am having a protracted battle with nudis in this tank, so I have been paying attention to the montiporas frags just to monitor if the nudis are winning or my counter measures are turning the tide. The monti in question was losing the battle and the nudis were getting the upper hand, so a return to growth is a welcome sign.

In the meantime, the large A and W units have arrived. But now I am inclined to leave the 2 mini units in the frag sump just to see if the perceived improvements continue.

Dennis

Hi Dennis, What you are experiencing and recording is very common using Oxydators, in fact, they are to be expected. ORP will raise and yes your water will be very clear allowing light to penetrate deeper. I am running 2 model As with 2 catalysts and 9% peroxide in my 100 gallon sump with great results but then only what I and many others witness time and time again. I would suggest the W version is a little large for your 120G but you could run it with a lower % peroxide. Much depends however on your stocking levels and feeding regime of course and a little experimentation may be required to hit the sweet spot. :)

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest the W version is a little large for your 120G but you could run it with a lower % peroxide. Much depends however on your stocking levels and feeding regime of course and a little experimentation may be required to hit the sweet spot. :)

Lol. No the W version is intended for my new DT build that is going to be finished one of these days. With the sump and filter, it should net out to about 780 G give or take. When I was looking for a good size match, the W unit seemed to be the best fit for that build. The A version was intended for the 120 G frag system.

Dennis

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. No the W version is intended for my new DT build that is going to be finished one of these days. With the sump and filter, it should net out to about 780 G give or take. When I was looking for a good size match, the W unit seemed to be the best fit for that build. The A version was intended for the 120 G frag system.

Dennis
Right well that's much better of course and the W should work well in it.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped to an A in 550 litre water volume and now run 2 catalysts and 9% solution.
I just took this, not all T5s on yet, that is about 2 feet away and through glass that was last cleaned 5 days ago!
I love clear water! :)

DSC_0004 by sshipuk, on

Flickr

Nice tank and yes gin clear water. BTW I run no prefiltration, no socks or filter wool etc.

20171013_183051 (1).jpg

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all.Do not know where your guys buy that oxidator,15 years ago i had one A with my FW tank than i sold the tank and started with reef tank.But today can not find the Oxidator. Long time ago Big Als sold that

Amphibious

Oldest Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all.Do not know where your guys buy that oxidator,15 years ago i had one A with my FW tank than i sold the tank and started with reef tank.But today can not find the Oxidator. Long time ago Big Als sold that
Google search "the cultured reef". He has some.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back