Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All models are very stable mainly due to the heavy bases and you should not have an issue with them being pushed over by water flow.
Temperature also plays a part in the use of peroxide but not greatly so IME but it does impact on it.
I have 2 X model As which although not ideal I have in my sump rather than in the DT.

Here is a pic which wasn't the easiest to take.

20170220_231409.jpg
Thanks for the reply Atoll.

I have a 60 gallon display tank that I would love to try this on. Would you recommend a A model or would it be possible to use a D and change out the hydrogen peroxide more frequently? The smaller the better in my display :)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Atoll.

I have a 60 gallon display tank that I would love to try this on. Would you recommend a A model or would it be possible to use a D and change out the hydrogen peroxide more frequently? The smaller the better in my display :)

The model D could be used with say 9% even possibly 12% with 2 catalysts but you would be filling it about every 4 or 5 days as a rough estimate. The base of the model D, however, isn't that much smaller in diameter than the model A in fact roughly the same diameter but the A is significantly larger esp with the ball weight on the top.

soechting_oxydatoren.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The model D could be used with say 9% even possibly 12% with 2 catalysts but you would be filling it about every 4 or 5 days as a rough estimate. The base of the model D, however, isn't that much smaller in diameter than the model A in fact roughly the same diameter but the A is significantly larger esp with the ball weight on the top.

soechting_oxydatoren.jpg
Oh I didn't even realize that the D wasn't full enclosed like the A is I thought it was just the way they took the picture. The A probably would look better in a display if tucked away.

So another question then. Would the A still be effective with 3% H202 (as opposed to 6%) changed more frequently (say once a week)? Just curious since 3% is so easy to get a hold of and I wouldn't have to worry about degradation of stored solution since I could buy it more frequently. Or do you think I would be wasting my time with the 3%?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend the Oxydator A for you. As you can see in Atolls last post - the secondary catalyst area is much, much larger than for the D model - it means that you can run it with higher concentration than 6 % of H2O2. All the brown ceramic is of the same compounds as the little catalyst inside the plastic bottle. When I have used modell D - I have never exceeded 6 %. Yes I think you can use 3 % in the A - just buy some more small catalyst.

Sincerely Lasse

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn't even realize that the D wasn't full enclosed like the A is I thought it was just the way they took the picture. The A probably would look better in a display if tucked away.

So another question then. Would the A still be effective with 3% H202 (as opposed to 6%) changed more frequently (say once a week)? Just curious since 3% is so easy to get a hold of and I wouldn't have to worry about degradation of stored solution since I could buy it more frequently. Or do you think I would be wasting my time with the 3%?

The 6% being a stronger solution (twice as strong as 3% of course) would last approximately 2 weeks perhaps 3. With 3 % it would last twice as long but in doing so would not be as potent of course. The model A comes with 2 catalysts whereas the D comes with just the one. It should be easy to buy 6% of peroxide if not buy a stronger % and dilute with RO and DI or distilled water. Running more catalysts will have a similar effect as running a higher % of peroxide.

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LES: a few questions if I may:

You mentioned that a sump location is not ideal for an Oxydator, any reason ?
I assume if a sump location was the only possibility then after the skimmer would be preferred ?
Have you heard of any issues on systems that carbon dose (vodka etc) and use an Oxydator ?
In one post it was mentioned about "known" risks to "known" animals, can you elaborate ?

Overall any risk of having 1ltr of 12% Peroxide in a large reef system, what's the worst case scenario ? I assume a vessel leak and all contents coming out, has anything similar happened and what was the result ?

Sorry for so many questions

I'll be back over to the UK soon and may get chance to get to Bury market !

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to what I read in the various places that I could find info, the A model is recommended for up to 106 gallons and the D recommended for up to 26 gallons. My system will be approximately 150 gallons. What I read said that you could combine Oxydators, if your system is a little larger. My display is a 125, a remote refugium will be 20 and the sump will hold about 15 gallons. So, I am estimating that my system volume will be about 150 gallons. I didn't run into any info about using different strengths of Hydrogen Peroxide and more catalysts, until now.

So, my plan is to have an A in the main display, a D in my sump and another D in my refugium. I was planning on using 6% with the two catalysts in the A and the singles in both of the Ds. This is all very new to me, so does anyone have any suggestions of changes that I might make? Thank you in advance.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7%, one catalyst, placing in the sump in a low flow area
The Oxydator W has the same size catalyst as the D and A models so you might have to up the peroxide % or add more catalysts as the effect will be the same with a model A using 7% peroxide. The only difference is the W holds a let more peroxide so will last longer between refills.
BTW with the Oxydator W, it will tell you when it needs refilling as it will float to the surface once empty.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, however, I would buy a higher concentration say 35% and dilute it with RO and DI water as it will work out much cheaper plus you can decide if you need a high % than 8% by diluting accordingly. In the UK we can only buy up to 12% peroxide without a licence to purchase higher. In the past, I was able to buy 70% peroxide but not anymore. :(

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDRIJ2...27f-aa6e-72b096a55fd3&hsa_cr_id=9229841190201

https://www.amazon.com/Gallons-Hydr...s&keywords=hydrogen+peroxide+food+grade&psc=1

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Oxydator W has the same size catalyst as the D and A models so you might have to up the peroxide % or add more catalysts as the effect will be the same with a model A using 7% peroxide. The only difference is the W holds a let more peroxide so will last longer between refills.
BTW with the Oxydator W, it will tell you when it needs refilling as it will float to the surface once empty.
Great, I like the idea of it floating to the surface. So I think maybe 9% and 2 catalyst to start, there were xtra catalyst included

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back