Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my xenia is still a little miffed from Saturday's Model D 8% overdose. Everything else has bounced back. Anyone experience bubbles coming into the D's container through the outlet hole for several minutes upon filling and placing into the tank? It forces out a significant amount of H2O2 into the tank until the bubbles stop. I also notice that in any diagrams I see of the D it says 3% H2O2. Lasse and atoll have been graciously be offering their advice, my email to Sochting.... crickets. I'm scared to put the thing back into the tank ;Nailbiting

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting point, I had a 12 hour plus power failure / outage / cut last September, this first thing I did was put the A into the display, lost a few corals and creatures.
Today.

DSC_0005 by sshipuk, on Flickr
Oxydators are more a fish saver than corals.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also occurred to me that since water clarity is improved with the use of Oxydators, it may also improve PAR values and would benefit corals in that way. Maybe to some extent anyway.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also occurred to me that since water clarity is improved with the use of Oxydators, it may also improve PAR values and would benefit corals in that way. Maybe to some extent anyway.
Yes there may well be something in that depending on the yellowing of your water. You can tell via the white card test.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to give this a shot, but I haven't been able to find a place to order the W. I've been through this thread, the links provided aren't working. Does anyone have a reliable source for the W in the US?

Dave

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate the help. Unfortunately the site doesn't work. Clicking on add to cart just refreshes the page. I'll keep looking though...

Dave
Just give Dick a call. He's retired but still has stock to sell. (772) 979-0786

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped out my defective D for an A. It's in the mail and on it's way. Other than the larger reservoir and much more ceramic what's the difference? I thinking with one catalyst it should dose at the same rate as the D. Less H2O2 should get into the tank, if any, as the A has much more ceramic for it to react with before it leaves the oxydator right? The system is only 105L so I'm going to start with 4% unless anyone advises otherwise.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The company Sochting for whatever reason don't seem at all interested in selling outside Europe, why I haven't a clue, it must be a German thing, Fortunately, we have a very good and sole LFS selling Oxydators here in the UK who ships them all over the world but of course shipping costs are the issue. I have to say we experience the same when buying stuff only available in the US with high shipping costs. Adrian who sells Oxydators via his company Seahorsebreeder also has a UK eBay shop where he sells Oxydators from. Needless to say he does good business selling them. A couple of years ago I sent Albert Thiel (RIP) his first Oxydator a model D and he raved about it using in his nano.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped out my defective D for an A. It's in the mail and on it's way. Other than the larger reservoir and much more ceramic what's the difference? I thinking with one catalyst it should dose at the same rate as the D. Less H2O2 should get into the tank, if any, as the A has much more ceramic for it to react with before it leaves the oxydator right? The system is only 105L so I'm going to start with 4% unless anyone advises otherwise.

Yes more peroxide is held but the major differences are the much more secure filling cap and the ball that holds the internal reservoir in place. However, the ball also serves another purpose ensuring any peroxide that escapes the beaker rolls over the ceramic ball acting as a kind of secondly catalyst. Apart from those the A will behave similarly to the model D.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that would be me.

Have you ever tracked what effect the peroxide has on the speciation and bioavailability of trace metals such as iron?

I've been wondering if the effects some people see on dinos from direct H2O2 additions might be from alteration of bioavailability of certain trace elements.

Back