Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

Amphibious

Oldest Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tracked what effect the peroxide has on the speciation and bioavailability of trace metals such as iron?

I've been wondering if the effects some people see on dinos from direct H2O2 additions might be from alteration of bioavailability of certain trace elements.
Hi Randy, Sorry, no I haven't. My background is in construction (pipefitter/welder) so never had the training to do the scientific examination of the effects peroxide had on my systems. I was a hands on user/observer of most additives to my SW systems. I was a firm believer in additions of trace elements, specifically Part 1 and 2, Mag, from Ocean's Blend plus many of the Zeovit additives including iron.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, Sorry, no I haven't. My background is in construction (pipefitter/welder) so never had the training to do the scientific examination of the effects peroxide had on my systems. I was a hands on user/observer of most additives to my SW systems. I was a firm believer in additions of trace elements, specifically Part 1 and 2, Mag, from Ocean's Blend plus many of the Zeovit additives including iron.

OK, thanks. :)

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK boys and girls I need to get a clearer understanding of the peroxide grade...

Even after Lasse kindly PM'd me I'm still confused on the whole technical vs food grade vs stabilisers. I have 35% technical grade here that I bought from a friend, about 8-9ltrs of it that they had bought for their Oxydator A model in their Seahorse tank. Obviously they have used it but I don't want to assume anything. Emailed the manufacturer who it seems isn't really the manufacturer as they buy it in. They would only confirm that it's a technical grade and that it contains stabilisers but refused to say which ones.

At the pharmacy today I could get 6% lab grade which they sell to Joe public for domestic cleaning purposes. It came as 35% strength but they said they'll only sell it at 3 or 6%. What is "lab grade" again they didn't know.

They only thing I could learn about food grade is that it doesn't contain acetanilide which is damages the human liver.

So other than the genuine Söchting H2O2 which isn't easy to get here and is expensive keep in my a maybe consuming 1ltr every few weeks on my system what grades are people safely using ???

PS: I think if a safe consumable can be sourced at a reasonable price then it will allow many more users of larger systems to think about using an Oxydator, not sure how the Koi people overcome this.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent question as I have been wondering the same thing.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy food grade. This is the stuff and I buy it in 5 litre carriers. We can only buy up to 12% here in the UK without a licence.
20180201_224948.jpg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it last? I think I'd be better off buying smaller quantities as I won't be going through it too fast.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it last? I think I'd be better off buying smaller quantities as I won't be going through it too fast.

How long is a ball of string?
Which model? What % peroxide? How many catalysts? what size aquarium gallonage wise? Even temperature plays a part in usage.

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This confirms my point a bit and also backs up what Lasse mentioned to me is that the information on what's in these products on top of the H2O2 is vague. None declare which stabiliser although food safe should mean "no acetanilide" although still not sure if that's an issue for our application. I guess knowing what's in the propriety product would answer this.....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amphibious

Oldest Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The website where I buy peroxide. Go here - http://www.purehealthdiscounts.net/h2o2.htm to purchase. I buy quarts of 35% food grade peroxide and dilute it by emptying the quart into an empty gallon plastic jug and fill it up with RO/DI water. That gives you 8.75% peroxide which is what I use. For longevity it should be refrigerated.

The literature included with your Oxydator mentions 3 to 6% peroxide but I’ve found the 8.75% to not only be okay but to work better. Peroxide must be handled with care at any strength. Please follow the caution statements that comes with the peroxide.

Each different Oxydator size will determine the length of time between recharging. I've found the size A will last between 3 and 4 weeks. You check it by lifting the ceramic ball and if the plastic container rises with the ball it needs recharging. Of course, you can recharge sooner.

The larger W will last 6 to 8 weeks. When it needs recharging you will find it floating at the surface.

Dick

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is a ball of string?
Which model? What % peroxide? How many catalysts? what size aquarium gallonage wise? Even temperature plays a part in usage.

I was wondering if I buy a gallon of 35% will the stuff at the bottom of the jug be less "fresh" by the time I use it up? What's the shelf life?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I buy a gallon of 35% will the stuff at the bottom of the jug be less "fresh" by the time I use it up? What's the shelf life?

My 5litres last me around 6 months and seems fine to the end. I can't comment beyond that nor can I test the actual % still being 12% as I know of no way of testing it, however, if the % has decreased then I have not noticed it in any way. Bare in mind my 12% 5litres is diluted to 9% giving me a 3rd more peroxide and I am using 2 model A's with 2 catalysts each.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Squareriggersailor, I don't know the answer to this but Dick did mention when I spoke to him that keeping the h202 in the refridgerator will extend its shelf life (what ever that is). I'm awaiting delivery of my unit, but I will be keeping the h202 in my garage fridge.

Dave

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squareriggersailor, I don't know the answer to this but Dick did mention when I spoke to him that keeping the h202 in the refridgerator will extend its shelf life (what ever that is). I'm awaiting delivery of my unit, but I will be keeping the h202 in my garage fridge.

Dave

Cool, thanks for the tip. One more weird aquarium item in the fridge won't surprise anyone around my house

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks for the tip. One more weird aquarium item in the fridge won't surprise anyone around my house
Right, just don't make any fancy drinks with it. With or without an umbrella in it, it can't be good for you.... ;)

Dave

711reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i use the A model with only 1 catalyst ? it comes with 2. my concern is using 2 catalysts may be to powerful. my water volume is about 60 gallons

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, just don't make any fancy drinks with it. With or without an umbrella in it, it can't be good for you.... ;)

Dave

Haha that's the first thing I thought, "keep it away from the beer" as if I'd mistake that for a beer.... well maybe.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back